Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectHELP PLEEEASE ASAP
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=19765
19765, HELP PLEEEASE ASAP
Posted by LeakyMitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i just took the calipers off to put new rotors on and one of my brake pads fell out, the inside pad was worn all the way down, the outside pad is fine, tons of pad left. anyone know whats going on and how to fix it? thanks
Brandon
19771, RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP
Posted by Squid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What conditions were the guide pins in?

It sounds like the guide pins and/or the holes they go into are rusted and the pins seized. Rather than the caliper sliding on the pins clamping both pads to the rotor the caliper piston is just pushing the inside pad against the rotor.

Clean out the guide pin holes, get new guide and lock pins, and grease them well.
19815, RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
who cares how they were...

just put them on right this time, whoever put them on last time messed somethin up. could be that they used a used pad and a new one...
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca
19843, RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Reeaaaallllyyy....

Just about every time I have done my brakes in the past couple years, they are like that. Not so extreme, but definitely more wear on the inner pads than the outers. I figured this was due to the design of the calipers. Single piston really only pushes from the one side, so I figure that side pretty much rests against the disc most of the time. I've never liked this setiup, but a costly piece to change out and I have bigger fish to fry right now. Also, my guide/lock bolts are mint. Just clean em off at every change and add fresh lube.

Of course, after 145,000 miles, they could use a rebuild, hehe. :P
19844, RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP
145,000 miles on one pair of pads?!

holy mother you must drive like a monk
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca
19852, RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP
Posted by jerseystyle1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>145,000 miles on one pair of pads?!
>
>holy mother you must drive like a monk

I think he was talking about the calipers:wary
19863, RE: HELP PLEEEASE ASAP
we hope

145k on a pair of pads isnt even possible lol unless of course ut woing the car :P
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca
I generated this page in 0.010385990142822 seconds, executing 7 queries.