Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #86786
View in linear mode

Subject: " Seperate the transmission from block" Previous topic | Next topic
HamgumballMar-07-05 07:48 PM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
419 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#86786, " Seperate the transmission from block"

Planning for tomorrow. Whats the best way to seperate the transmission from the block. Is it just remove the clutch from the flywheel with just 4 bolts and remove the transaxle mounting bolts? If so when's the best time to remove those bolts. How do you prevent the clutch and flywheel from rotating? Is it easier to keep the axles on and have someone step on the brake while doing this, or is it just the same with the block and tranny out of the engine bay?

I wish you a smooth break-in and happy driving.

Mod lists here:
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1065

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Seperate the transmission from block, RxR_Eclipse, Mar-07-05 08:12 PM, #1
RE: Seperate the transmission from block, grain, Mar-07-05 11:14 PM, #2
      RE: Seperate the transmission from block, Hamgumball, Mar-08-05 08:09 AM, #3
           RE: Seperate the transmission from block, thedawg, Mar-08-05 08:49 AM, #4
                RE: Seperate the transmission from block, RxR_Eclipse, Mar-08-05 12:26 PM, #5
                     RE: Seperate the transmission from block, TeamDR1665, Mar-08-05 01:23 PM, #6

RxR_EclipseMar-07-05 08:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#86787, "RE: Seperate the transmission from block"
In response to Reply # 0

I just did this(yesterday), and you need armonds writeup.

http://www.armond30.com/adp/smartquestions.html

This thing is hard to do, Don and I took about 15 hrs to complete this. IMO the worst part is putting the tranny back on the block. Have fun with it . I would get 3 jacks and an engine hoist to help.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

grainMar-07-05 11:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#86791, "RE: Seperate the transmission from block"
In response to Reply # 1

i dont get what your trying to do. remove the engine w/out the tranny, or remove the tranny itself. either way. if your trying to pull the engine by itself. just disconnect everything and then take off the crank pulley. then take out the 4 bolts that goes from the flex plate to the clutch, then remove the bolts that mount the tranny to the bock.

if your removing the tranny only. remove the axles, then take off shift linkage, then the mm's. then take out the 4 bolts from the flexplate and then the bolts from the tranny to block. shit is easy.

15hours it took you? i can get a tranny out and back in , in less then 4 hours.

HamgumballMar-08-05 08:09 AM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
419 posts,
#86806, "RE: Seperate the transmission from block"
In response to Reply # 2

I need the block out to take to the machine shop. I heard that the tranny is a pain so i was wondering which way provides less hastle. Pull the engine w/tranny then seperate it out of the car? Or loosen the flexplate bolts with the engine/tranny in the car then pull the whole thing out?

I wish you a smooth break-in and happy driving.

Mod lists here:
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1065

thedawgMar-08-05 08:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#86807, "RE: Seperate the transmission from block"
In response to Reply # 3

I always leave the tranny in so I don't have to pull the axles.

Just remove the access hatch, undo the 4 flywheel bolts, undo the 5 large pink bolts, and lift.

To get the flywheel bolts off just use an openended wrench and smack it with a hammer a few times. You don't really even need to chock the flywheel, although you can... with a big screwdriver through the starter hole.

RxR_EclipseMar-08-05 12:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#86820, "RE: Seperate the transmission from block"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by grain
15hours it took you? i can get a tranny out and back in , in less then 4 hours.

15 hrs from the time the car was parked to the time she drove away. If it only takes you 4 hrs to do that your freaking superman with a tranny and major props goes out to you. It took us about 3.5 hrs to get it off and on (just the tranny). The rest of the time we spent taking off misc shit and putting it back on. Since this was my first time (hopefully only), I did go extremely slow to make sure I did not miss anything.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

TeamDR1665Mar-08-05 01:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#86823, "RE: Seperate the transmission from block"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse
Originally posted by grain 15hours it took you? i can get a tranny out and back in , in less then 4 hours.
15 hrs from the time the car was parked to the time she drove away. If it only takes you 4 hrs to do that your freaking superman with a tranny and major props goes out to you. It took us about 3.5 hrs to get it off and on (just the tranny). The rest of the time we spent taking off misc shit and putting it back on. Since this was my first time (hopefully only), I did go extremely slow to make sure I did not miss anything.

Wow. I only pulled the engine with the tranny the first time it came out. Ever since, we just pull the engine by itself. As was stated above, drop the oil pan, remove the access panel up against the side of the tranny, remove the four bolts for the starter plate, remove the bolts that hold the tranny to the block, and start taking her out. You don't even have to remove the crank pulley, but it's a very good idea to do so. Back in July, run4cvr and I popped the hood and had the block on the ground in three hours. Not too impressive, but we went to Checker and NAPA halfway through to get something we needed at the time, so really only about 2.5 hours to get the block out. Practice is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #86786 Previous topic | Next topic