Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138385
View in linear mode

Subject: "crank pulley install" Previous topic | Next topic
MCubed45May-25-14 10:11 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138385, "crank pulley install"

Hey guys

I'm having trouble getting the crank pulley on all the way. There's maybe 1/4" left to go until it's in line with the other pulleys. We've just been torqueing it down using the crank bolt with a breaker bar but it's taking a ton of force and feels like it's not moving any more.

You're not supposed to hammer it on right?

Not sure what else to do. My friend was gonna try borrow an impact wrench to get it on the rest of the way..

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: crank pulley install, Moderatorxcasbonx, May-27-14 08:43 AM, #1
RE: crank pulley install, J, May-27-14 09:28 AM, #2
      RE: crank pulley install, MCubed45, May-27-14 08:43 PM, #3
           RE: crank pulley install, J, May-27-14 10:10 PM, #4
                RE: crank pulley install, ej420a, Jun-04-14 07:16 PM, #5
                     RE: crank pulley install, ej420a, Jun-18-14 04:06 PM, #6
                          RE: crank pulley install, dsmcrzy, Oct-04-14 06:45 PM, #7
                               RE: crank pulley install, Moderatorxcasbonx, Oct-06-14 06:00 AM, #8

ModeratorxcasbonxMay-27-14 08:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138386, "RE: crank pulley install"
In response to Reply # 0

I took a 4x4 block of wood put it up against it and drove it on with a 5lb rubber mallet. Nearly 10 years later, no problems.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JMay-27-14 09:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#138387, "RE: crank pulley install"
In response to Reply # 1

Alright, do this.......

Take the pulley, and put it in the oven @ 500' (however high it goes)... get some gloves (like for a grill), pull it out of the oven once its been heated up, and it *will* just slide right onto the crank like butter! It goes on very, very easy... and then you can take your block and make sure it's hammered on straight. You just want to make sure it's lined up w/ your other pulleys, that's all

- J

MCubed45May-27-14 08:43 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#138388, "RE: crank pulley install"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by xcasbonx
I took a 4x4 block of wood put it up against it and drove it on with a 5lb rubber mallet. Nearly 10 years later, no problems.

k maybe we'll give that a try if the impact doesn't work..

Originally posted by J
Alright, do this....... Take the pulley, and put it in the oven @ 500' (however high it goes)... get some gloves (like for a grill), pull it out of the oven once its been heated up, and it *will* just slide right onto the crank like butter! It goes on very, very easy... and then you can take your block and make sure it's hammered on straight. You just want to make sure it's lined up w/ your other pulleys, that's all - J

I read about that method too. But the pulley is almost completely on already. We'd have to go rent a puller again to get it off. Maybe if nothing else works we'll give that a try.

Thanks guys!

-marc

JMay-27-14 10:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#138389, "RE: crank pulley install"
In response to Reply # 3

Hey, whatever works... the harmonic balancer aka pulley puller isn't terribly expensive, and nice to have... the oven method has always worked for me, just make sure the pulley is in line w/ others!

- J

ej420aJun-04-14 07:16 PM
Member since Feb 03rd 2008
20 posts,
#138422, "RE: crank pulley install"
In response to Reply # 4

+1 on the 'heating the pulley' method. I also keep another pulley to place in front of the one i'm installing to take the impact of the hammer/mallet I'm using. Even though once it's heated it is much easier to get on. Good luck!

ej420aJun-18-14 04:06 PM
Member since Feb 03rd 2008
20 posts,
#138437, "RE: crank pulley install"
In response to Reply # 5

Any luck on getting that pulley installed? Did you end up using the heat method?

dsmcrzyOct-04-14 06:45 PM
Member since Oct 23rd 2011
4 posts,
#138499, "RE: crank pulley install"
In response to Reply # 6

I have always used the heat method like above. I'm just not a fan of whaling something onto the crankshaft.

ModeratorxcasbonxOct-06-14 06:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#138500, "RE: crank pulley install"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by dsmcrzy
I have always used the heat method like above. I'm just not a fan of whaling something onto the crankshaft.

It's not exactly "whaling" on it if you hold on to the block and use a 5lb deadblow. I could see that being a problem just using a regular hammer. I used the block for getting it on there initially then struck the pulley squarely for the rest of the way. For the record this is how I installed mine like I said above and the motors been solid for over 8 years.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138385 Previous topic | Next topic