Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117231
View in linear mode

Subject: "RPMs" Previous topic | Next topic
herbomarFeb-03-01 01:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
17 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117231, "RPMs"

What are safe RPM levels in our cars?

I had a friend tell me to always keep it under 4k, and that anything over that would wear out my engine prematurely. My car has 116k on it, and I'd really like to make it last(preferably until I'm out of school sitting on fat paychecks --I'd like to restore it once I've got the cream for that kind of stuff).

I normally am a lightfooted driver, but I do like kicking up the throttle sometimes --up to 4.5k - 5k. I've never hit the redline, don't even know if it's possible. However, I do believe I've hit 6k before. "Hitting" these RPMs isnt an all the time type deal, maybe once or twice a day for < 4.5k, and maybe once or twice a week for <5.5k.

What's safe, and what should I do?

thanks

Omar Khan
Canton, MI
96 Talon ESi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JunoonFeb-03-01 05:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
122 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117232, "RE: RPMs"
In response to Reply # 0

Omar I think you are right on track. I my self drive like that and I drive slow, except for when it's whoppp a$$ time for hondies. Besides there are not that many imports here in michigan anyways.

Junoon
97-RS
Inkster
Michigan

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cyanFeb-03-01 07:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#117233, "RE: RPMs"
In response to Reply # 1

the engine is made that way for a reason, the redline is set at 7000 so dont go into that area, thats why its redline. its built with the intention of you going up to 7000. when racing you should be revving to about 7200 in second, third and fourth gear and to about 6000 in first. if youve lost to a honda before and were only revving to 5500, thats why you lost
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

SkrillaFeb-03-01 09:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#117234, "I agree with Cyan"
In response to Reply # 0

You shouldn't at all be afraid to redline your engine. It is very safe and our PCM run the engine rich so as to not explode or throw a rod. If you properly want to maintain your engine then take extra precaution when performing regular maintainance. Give it Synthetic oil and replace all necessary equipment a few thousand miles sooner than the factory manual and owner's manual say. Cars are really on meant to last about 15 years and/or 250,000 miles just by following the owner's manual instructions. Michael_97RS said you should check for these things every 30,000 miles, and I think this is HIGHLY recommended:

- Replace Spark Plugs
- Check (Ohm) Wires
- Check CV shafts/boots
- Replace Fuel Filter
- Replace Transmission Fluid (Manual & Auto)
- Grease and lube suspension parts
- Air Filter clean and re-oil(K&N) or replace
- Check belts re-tension or replace
- Change Oil and Filter
- Check Brakes
- Flush and Fill Coolant, replace Thermostat
- Replace PCV Valve
- General check of whole car: hoses, lines, wiring etc
- Last but not least install some mod.

The last thing listed is not optional - A MUST

My lil' '94 Civic DX sees the redline EVERY time I accelerate, I watch everything needed and performed a compression test along with a dose of Mobil 1 Synthetic (THE brand to use). Anyway the engine is perfect and has 161,000 miles on it. No probems except 3rd gear tranny syncro my girlfriend blew learning to drive stic

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

TeamStan2gntFeb-03-01 10:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#117235, "RE: I agree with Cyan"
In response to Reply # 3

Geez if you drive rarely going beyond 4 and 4.5K you might as well have got a v6 chevy. Like most small multi valve 4cyl they are designed from scratch knowingly that they must be revved to get any good power out of it. How do even keep from getting out of your own way trying to stay below 4K and never seeing redline (ashame). Thats how I drive on an empty tank and 30 miles to the nearest gas station. I dont see redline everyday (and partly because my solid front motor mount is so annoying there) but see it every few days. Doesn't matter what gear you in 7000rpm is 7000rpm to your engine hp being equal(your tranny might think otherwise) The faster you get there and leave the easier on your engine (high speed runs in 4th for example keep your engine at extended periods of 6000rpm+. this would seem more abusive then going thru the gears to redline). everything below redline (and beyond) is safe. If redline is 7000rpm you can be assured the REAL safe margin is beyond that as manufacturers must be conservative and dont care to perform warranty services because a lead foot purchased their car. Take care of maintenance and use common sense (who really wants to hit 7K at every opportunity anyway) and DRIVE THE DAMN CAR.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

dsmstreetracerFeb-04-01 06:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
6 posts,
#117236, "RE: I agree with Cyan"
In response to Reply # 4

redline is definitly safe. i bought my car with 9miles on it in 97 and it has seen redline almost everday since the day i purchased it. the only days it hasn't seen it is the days i dind't drive it(hehe).it's got a 116,000 miles on it now and still runs strong and still see's redline everyday. hell i bet it went to redline more than ten times last night alone (at the local streetraces hehe). drive your car man your missing out on the cars power staying below 5000. 4k-7k is the cars power band so if u racin any hondas be sure to keep it there. goodluck . later
97 eclipse RS
cai,gutted cat,gs-tmuffler
15.65@89 mph

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117231 Previous topic | Next topic