Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117208
View in linear mode

Subject: "rod bearing???clack,clack,clack" Previous topic | Next topic
95TalonESIFeb-13-01 03:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
0 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117208, "rod bearing???clack,clack,clack"

I am new to the board, but I have been reading quit a bit of what has been posted in the past few weeks. I am a proud owner of a 95 Eagle Talon ESI, which I have had for four and a half years now, and minimal problems. I am just waiting for the big one to break.

I am hearing a steady clacking noise coming from underneath my car at idle. That is the only time I can hear it....exhaust is to loud when I am in motion!! I can hear it from inside the car without the stereo or accesories on. If I open the hood, I don't hear it unless I get underneath the car. From what I have read, it sounds to me like a rod bearing. The only thing is, it doesn't do it all of the time, and there really isn't a specific time it does it either. It will do it sometimes right when I start it up in the morning, and then other times, it won't. Other times, it waits until I have been driving for an hour or so. If it were the rod bearing, wouldn't it do it all of the time??? Please help, I don't want my baby to die!! I've got 128000k on it right now. It's parked until I get the timing belt changed, and I'm just curious if there is a way to inspect the rod bearing without pulling the motor completely out of the car? Possibly dropping the oil pan?? Any help is greatly appreciated!! I know if THAT breaks, BAD BAD things will happen!! I plan on rebuilding soon with a Hahn Stage III Turbosystem, but I don't want to ruin my block before I get the $$, if ya know what I mean!!

Thanks agian,

Nathan Shearn
"Turbo Bound"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack, Skrilla, Feb-13-01 04:34 PM, #1
RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack, 95TalonESI, Feb-14-01 05:42 AM, #5
RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack, Skrilla, Feb-13-01 04:38 PM, #2
RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack, TeamStan2gnt, Feb-13-01 05:22 PM, #3
RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack, TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-14-01 05:29 AM, #4
RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack, 95TalonESI, Feb-14-01 06:54 AM, #6

SkrillaFeb-13-01 04:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117209, "RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack"
In response to Reply # 0

You got it. Drop the subframe brace beneath your engine then the oilpan. Check for metallic shavings. If you're serious about the inspection let all the oil from your engine drip and search where the Connecting Rod and Crank bolts. Inspect the 2 bolts for stretch and the Rod for play along with the metallic shavings anywhere.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95TalonESIFeb-14-01 05:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
0 posts,
#117210, "RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack"
In response to Reply # 1

YOU ROCK!! THANKS A MILLION FOR THE ADVISE!! ONE MORE QUESTION...... SAY THERE IS METAL SHAVINGS IN THE OIL PAN....DO I HAVE TO YANK THE MOTOR AND REPLACE THE ENTIRE ROD(S), OR CAN I JUST REPLACE THE BEARING(S)?...OR IS IT POSSIBLE TO REPAIR FROM UNDERNEATH THE CAR WITH THE MOTOR STILL INTACK?

I WAS TALKING WITH A LOCAL MECHANIC YESTERDAY AND HE SAID NOT TO INSTALL THE AEM ADJUSTABLE CAM GEARS. ARE YOU RUNNING THESE OR DO YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WHO IS?? I HAVEN'T HEARD OF ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEM, AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD GIVE ME A LITTLE INSIGHT ON THIS SUBJECT. THANKS AGAIN!!

95TalonESI
Nathan Shearn
"Turbo Bound"

SkrillaFeb-13-01 04:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#117211, "RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack"
In response to Reply # 0

You got it. Drop the subframe brace beneath your engine then the oilpan. Check for metallic shavings. If you're serious about the inspection let all the oil from your engine drip and search where the Connecting Rod and Crank bolts. Inspect the 2 bolts for stretch and the Rod for play along with the metallic shavings anywhere.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

TeamStan2gntFeb-13-01 05:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#117212, "RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack"
In response to Reply # 0

When you first start to notice it wont do it all the time. When I first started to monitor it, it NEVER did it at start up but would start once the car got warm (which made me at the time think nothing of it, cold lifted oil didn't reach ect). Anyway only as it progressed did it tick at start up. I could only hear it at idle too but if you have it you'll hear it all the time soon enough. You still have time to make some quick plans if you do have it. From the time I had your symtoms to the time I couldn't drive it anymore had to be at least a good few months (and I didn't ease up any either). If it does turn out to be the case use 20w-50 oil and possibly oil thickener and take it easy.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-14-01 05:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#117213, "RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack"
In response to Reply # 0

The noise sounds like bad bearings.

When you first strat to mess them up most likely you'll hear it once the car warms up and the bearings expand. If you hooked up an oil pressure gauge you could get a good idea by the readings. If it drops below 20 psi chances are you have 1 or more bad bearings.

Another possiblility is you have a bad oil pump if it's not doing it consitenetly if the oil pump if fluctuating on when if fully works and not, you'll have problems. When it's not really working you'll have low oil pressure and more metal on metal making noise. And when it kicks in the noise will go away.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

95TalonESIFeb-14-01 06:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
0 posts,
#117214, "RE: rod bearing???clack,clack,clack"
In response to Reply # 4

THANKS FOR THE OPTIONS MAN!! I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT THIS MESSAGE BOARD KICKS ASS!!! I JUST ORDERED A SERVICE MANUAL FROM THE CHRYSLER CORPORATION, SO HOPEFULLY MY QUESTIONS WON'T BE SUCH OBVIOUS ONES FROM NOW ON!!

THANKS AGAIN!!

95TalonESI
Nathan Shearn
"Turbo Bound"

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117208 Previous topic | Next topic