Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #33199
View in linear mode

Subject: "Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread" Previous topic | Next topic
VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-19-02 04:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33199, "Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"

When this thread got out of hand consider this, it started when someone said they would not buy a computer from us because of the price, and further that they would buy a pirated copy. Buying pirated software is illegal. Buying pirated software that my company produced steels money right out of my pocket. That reduces our effective means to produce more products for the market, which are you guys. Why is myself coming down hard on some one that announces to the world that he wants to commit a crime against my company wrong? Not only does this guy want to steal from my company, but also in away he wants to steal from you. If you as the 2GNT community condone criminal activity that hurts my company, why should we continue to produce products for your market, if our efforts are rewarded with theft of our intellectual property?

What makes good customer service? We think it is treating customers fairly, offering the lowest prices we can, and taking care of mistakes that we make. We feel it is treating people like human beings, and helping them when we can. We have helped a lot of you over the years, and a lot of you have helped us. It is a good symbiosis. As for those that condemn our customer service, I read their post, consider who they agree with and quote, and thank god I'm honest.

Visit the Howell Automotive Open House August 20th, 2005. The largest gathering of Chrysler 2.0 engines on the planet.

US Small Business Administration Export Business of the Year for 2003

Visit Howell Automotive at www.howellautomotive.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Kaptain_Mike (Guest), Sep-19-02 04:18 AM, #1
RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, calcio20, Sep-19-02 05:07 AM, #2
RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Kaptain_Mike (Guest), Sep-19-02 05:12 AM, #3
RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-19-02 05:19 AM, #4
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, tim97rs, Sep-19-02 05:25 AM, #5
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Sep-19-02 05:40 AM, #7
RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-19-02 05:29 AM, #6
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Kaptain_Mike (Guest), Sep-19-02 05:42 AM, #8
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Kaptain_Mike (Guest), Sep-19-02 05:43 AM, #9
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-19-02 06:03 AM, #16
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, calcio20, Sep-19-02 05:45 AM, #10
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-19-02 06:02 AM, #15
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Sep-19-02 05:46 AM, #11
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Kaptain_Mike (Guest), Sep-19-02 05:55 AM, #12
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, EclipzeGamer, Sep-19-02 06:00 AM, #13
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Administratoradmin2, Sep-19-02 06:05 AM, #17
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, TeamAvenger, Sep-19-02 06:06 AM, #18
                RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Kaptain_Mike (Guest), Sep-19-02 07:07 AM, #23
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, calcio20, Sep-19-02 06:00 AM, #14
                RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, m_berrow, Sep-19-02 06:16 AM, #19
                     RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-19-02 06:18 AM, #20
                          RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, a_miller_76, Sep-19-02 06:50 AM, #21
                               RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-19-02 06:55 AM, #22
                                    RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Joshua97478, Sep-19-02 07:48 AM, #25
                                         RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-19-02 07:56 AM, #26
RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Not Your Daddy, Sep-19-02 07:46 AM, #24
RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Super20G, Sep-19-02 08:18 AM, #27
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Breezio, Sep-19-02 12:49 PM, #28
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, EclipzeGamer, Sep-19-02 01:31 PM, #29
                RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Dave_FL, Sep-19-02 01:44 PM, #30
                     RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Chris_FL, Sep-19-02 02:23 PM, #31
RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, TeamXtremeRS, Sep-19-02 02:33 PM, #32
RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Matt_95tgs, Sep-19-02 03:11 PM, #33
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Fast420A, Sep-19-02 04:09 PM, #34
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Super20G, Sep-19-02 04:23 PM, #35
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Matt_95tgs, Sep-19-02 04:28 PM, #36
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, The1Bill, Sep-19-02 07:02 PM, #37
                RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, nappyjim, Sep-19-02 11:49 PM, #38
                RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-20-02 12:13 AM, #39
                RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-20-02 01:02 AM, #41
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-20-02 12:43 AM, #40
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, TeamJasonESi_T, Sep-20-02 02:13 AM, #42
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-20-02 02:27 AM, #44
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, TeamMichael_97RS, Sep-20-02 02:18 AM, #43
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Matt_95tgs, Sep-20-02 02:35 AM, #45
                RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-20-02 03:10 AM, #46
                     RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, optimuspeterson, Sep-20-02 04:55 AM, #47
                     What does, TeamJasonESi_T, Sep-20-02 06:03 AM, #49
                          RE: What does "AS IS" mean (some answers), Matt_95tgs, Sep-20-02 06:09 AM, #50
                          RE: What does "AS IS" mean (some answers), VendorAFX_Manufacturing, Sep-20-02 06:24 AM, #52
                     RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Matt_95tgs, Sep-20-02 05:54 AM, #48
                          RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, BWtwoK, Sep-20-02 06:19 AM, #51
                               RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Matt_95tgs, Sep-20-02 06:58 AM, #53
                               RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, JT, Sep-20-02 07:55 AM, #55
                               RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Matt_95tgs, Sep-20-02 08:28 AM, #58
                                    RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, JT, Sep-20-02 08:51 AM, #60
                               RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, BOSS122, Sep-20-02 08:24 AM, #57
                               RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Super20G, Sep-20-02 07:25 AM, #54
                                    RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Squid, Sep-20-02 08:15 AM, #56
                                         RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Matt_95tgs, Sep-20-02 08:30 AM, #59
                                              RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread -Admin Note, Administratoradmin2, Sep-20-02 08:51 AM, #61
                                              RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Teameclipse804, Sep-20-02 08:51 AM, #62
RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, TeamXtremeRS, Sep-20-02 09:45 AM, #63
RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, a_miller_76, Sep-20-02 09:52 AM, #64
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, BWtwoK, Sep-20-02 12:32 PM, #65
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, nappyjim, Sep-20-02 01:44 PM, #66
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Super20G, Sep-20-02 03:31 PM, #67
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Fast420A, Sep-20-02 04:15 PM, #69
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-21-02 05:35 AM, #71
      RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, oMInOUs97RS, Sep-20-02 03:59 PM, #68
           RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread, TeamStan2gnt, Sep-21-02 04:29 AM, #70

Kaptain_Mike (Guest)Sep-19-02 04:18 AM

#33200, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 0

Well said Gary. I myself admit that I'm not honest when it comes to software piracy (as 90% of us computer nerds on the boards) BUT when it comes to duplicating a ECU program for a car, that is different. I agree what you're saying about copying and ripping off your ECU ideas. When you left bad feedback for Chris and after you said "condone criminal activity" I really didnt know how/why you did that...then later on in the thread I found out how/why. I agree. Chris is my friend and I talk to him alot on AIM, trust me, he's not really a bad guy at all. He's realy nice, I think he was just trying to be a smartass about it, much how I am 90% of the time, lol. But yes your post just now definitely shedded light on the subject.

Read my post in the other thread. I admit that the "negative" people and their bad experiences with you scared me. But when I turn around and see the devotion and dedication to making a ECU for our cars, that just makes me say "wow". ECU programming is NOT easy, its like burning a EEPROM for a computer circuit board. One wrong burn and the whole thing is fried. Apparently, you put a lot of thought into this. We need more testers and guinea pigs. I want one, but am fearful that something would go horribly wrong with this daily driver of mine that i currently have no problems with .

With that said, I find it exciting to make a stack of boltons that total up to 122 whp on a dyno shoot up to 130-140whp or possibly more. I have my eye on you and this product, I am just sitting back and watching right now, if you know what i mean.

DAMNIT I TYPED TOO MUCH AGAIN ! oh wells heheheh

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

calcio20Sep-19-02 05:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
342 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33201, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 1

Gary-

I, by NO means, said I was going to pirate your product. It will eventually be copied (especially when you go out of business )...it happens. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. However, this does not excuse your childish 1st response. (which didn't even make sense) Also, I think you need to stop focusing on me and more on the people with Neon's who are upset with you as well. It's gotten so bad that one of our 2gnt members had to stop payment because their product was in such horrid condition.

Also, while I was at the shootout this year I found more 1g's/2g's that had problems with Howell. It goes on and on. Focus on your CUSTOMERS ....not me.

Thanks to EVERYBODY who has stuck their foot out and backed me up.

-Chris

Gary- Take a look at the feedback now.

Kaptain_Mike (Guest)Sep-19-02 05:12 AM

#33202, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 2

Chris at the same time I hope you realize that I am just seeing both sides, that's all. Chris you're still my boah! *high 5*

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-19-02 05:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33203, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 2

I quote from your response that generated my response, "....Needless to say, Howell's really trying to make a buck on this. I'm going to wait for somebody else to crack it.... " The only way that drives down the price, it when you buy the pirated software. The theft of copyrighted software is illegal, no matter what you call it.

As for our customer service. Every year are sales to the 2GNT community increase, and this is a fixed market as no more 2GNT cars are being built. We do this by providing good products, good customer service, and reasonable prices. Can you find people that don't like us sure, can you make a general statement like you have and be truthful, no. That fact of the matter we have many satisfied customers, and we have few unsatified, that is the nature of all business. We have plenty of happy customers, and we are doing well satifying their needs, and the needs of the new customers they send us. But thank you for your concern.

Visit the Howell Automotive Open House August 20th, 2005. The largest gathering of Chrysler 2.0 engines on the planet.

tim97rsSep-19-02 05:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#33204, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 4

Im on your side, Gary. My post from the origional thread:

Okay haters!!! Can we just let this go about Gary and Howell automotive??? we have all had good and bad experiences with businesses at one point or another. IT COMES WITH THE TERRITORY!!!!!!!! i personaly talked to the man about my cams/lash adjuster problems and they weren't even his product. HE was as helpful as he could be given the situation and the shit not even being his. He even wanted me to call him back after i got it figured out just so he could know.
Business is business!!! Some customers will be happy, some will not. His organization is one of ther best that deals with our cars and motors. You know anyone else thats established thats as dedicated to the 2gnt/420a community?

Please feel free to express your opinions and move on. If the post dosen't apply to you or isn't about your problem specificly, please don't flame. I think by and large there are MANY more people on this board that are HAPPY with howell than not.
just my $.02

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

ModeratorEvuLFleASep-19-02 05:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#33205, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 4

Rarely will you see someone make a post about "Damn, Howell got me my part right away!" but if someone has a mishap they will always run their mouth. Look at all the people on here that have Howell or AFX products on their car and look how many bad posts there are. Most people are happy with the AFX services and howells bottom end kits etc. Matt was partly to blame on his engine mishap too.

Just like Dino said about the ECU, who the hell is going to copy it or crack it anyway? I have been here long before you and havn't seen ANY company even try to. If you don't want to buy their product fine, wait around and keep hoping. Maybe in a few YEARS you can get one for $50 cheaper!

I don't see how this is so terribly expensive either. A S-AFC runs $300 and will get you maybe 5hp NA. When you have a car that has 115HP at the wheels bone stock and a mod increases horsepower by 10-15hp within the first hour the ecu is on the car that is pretty damn good.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-19-02 05:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33206, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 1

> I admit that the
>"negative" people and their bad experiences with you scared
>me.

You hit the nail on the head. "Negative" people, the world is full of them. According to what we learned in business college, they make up about 20% of the population. They are a group that cause 90% of the problems for business, and buy less than 5% of the offered products. It was something we were warned about in college, and it is a nessisary evil of being in business. Fortunately in college we also learned that silent majorarity see these people for what they are and ignor them to a great extent. Every once and a while I get on my soap box speak to the majority about how things are to let them know we still care.

Gary

Kaptain_Mike (Guest)Sep-19-02 05:42 AM

#33207, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 6

Yes, good point. 50 people saying "omg this company rocks! badass products and services!" makes a business stay strong. But the bad side to that is all you need is one or two people to say "omg i got ripped off , they suck, etc" to destroy all 50 people's good comments. It's sad but that's how the bandwagon of the public works. Always and forever. Today and tommorow. You went to business school, eh? That perked me up for a second. Hey people, come on, at least he was learned how to run a business properly, lol. I have had experiences with people before where I got screwed twice, but I figure let's give them the benefit of the doubt, and see how #3 goes, afterall 3rd time is a charm...well alot of times I got burned a final time, and walked away. But many times, that 3rd chance was all I needed to continue to keep going back as long as the good times outweighed the bad. (Namely I am speaking of Summit Racing right now) So as you can see, it doesnt matter WHO you are....some people will have bad experiences, as some will have 80% badass transactions, but then get in a pinch once and a while. Many times it's the person's own fault why something bad happens. It's kinda the market of MODDING A CAR, lol.

You can't expect to wipe someone elses' ass when it was them who took the shit.

Kaptain_Mike (Guest)Sep-19-02 05:43 AM

#33208, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 8

Forgive me for posting so much on this subject, but I took alot of economics and business crap in high school so this interests me alot. Plus I pretty much help run my current company and a comic book store I used to work in during my high school days, many years ago. So, I take this stuff personally, I like to hear both views, the owner and the customer.

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-19-02 06:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33209, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 9

Exchange of information is how your learn.

calcio20Sep-19-02 05:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
342 posts,
#33210, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 6

Gary-

I'm done posting on this subject. You caused irreversible damage to your company (see my user rating) and I don't want to create any more.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
-Chris

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-19-02 06:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33211, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 10

I want to thank your for refering people to our wholesale customers such as PTuning and Mach V they are good people, and will treat people well.

I also want to that your for drawing attention to the 97 AFX PCM, we have had quite a few calls on them today, and some orders.

If you want to start anymore flame wars, and they help business like this please feel free

ModeratorEvuLFleASep-19-02 05:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#33212, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 6

OH MY GOD!

"Companies that CARE about the customer:

www.machv.com / www.bushurracing.com / www.lightningmotorsports.com /www.roadraceengineering.com / www.ptuning.com (5% off underdrive pulley) / www.newedgeracing.com"

/QUOTE

Have you ever done business with Buschor or RRE? I'm sure they will definately treat you and your 420A just right. I don't think you have been around long enough to have read some of the posts about these companies.

New Edge Racing? Do you know how many people are waiting for parts and how many people are mad at them? You mention PTUNING has underdrive pulleys...who the hell do you think makes them?

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

Kaptain_Mike (Guest)Sep-19-02 05:55 AM

#33213, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 11

I've heard about RRE. If you don't have a 4g63, they wont give us lil "neon eclipses" the time of day.

EclipzeGamerSep-19-02 06:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
999 posts,
#33214, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 12

Not to bust any chops, but isn't it possible that somewhere out there some hotshot might take it upon himself to figure out how to program our chips too, and go into business for himself, or sell his idea to another manufacturer? That wouldn't be pirating. Just a random thought I had reading all this

Jaeson
'96 Eclipse RS

Looks:
APC Euro clear bumper lens
front grill
chrome front emblem
Razo carbon fiber pedals
carbon fiber gauge bezel

Performance:
Perma-Cool oil cooler
custom airbox
GS-T muffler

On The Way:
Kaminari GTR wing off Shauns NER Eclipse
Hurricane_GS front & rear lower tie bars
95-96 side skirts

Smiley face 4 life!

Jaeson
'96 Eclipse RS

Administratoradmin2Sep-19-02 06:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
543 posts,
#33215, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 13

the equipment needed to do it is incredibly expensive. they don't use standard EEPROM/PROM/ROM interfaces.

TeamAvengerSep-19-02 06:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#33216, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 12

Road race has NEVER EVER treated me wrong. Answered all my questions technical and non technical(even if it came from a 2gNT guy), never rude, and I always got what I ordered exactly when I should.

If you've never ordered anything from them I don't think you can say bad about them. I've ordered enough stuff enough times and spent enough money there to have my opinions.

P.S. They even have a 420a powered SCCA car.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Kaptain_Mike (Guest)Sep-19-02 07:07 AM

#33217, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 18

>Road race has NEVER EVER treated me wrong. Answered all my
>questions technical and non technical(even if it came from a
>2gNT guy), never rude, and I always got what I ordered
>exactly when I should.
>
>If you've never ordered anything from them I don't think you
>can say bad about them. I've ordered enough stuff enough
>times and spent enough money there to have my opinions.
>
>P.S. They even have a 420a powered SCCA car.

woah easy there, cowboy. I said I "HEARD", and I didn't bad mouth them. I know Kory is friends with Mike and the gang over there, and no I never done business with them, so I can't say anything bad about them. Is that better?

I'm very much interested in this ECU. And yes, I found it was funny that all the companies named were customers of AFX lol.

calcio20Sep-19-02 06:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
342 posts,
#33218, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 11

ugh...I've done business with all of them or I wouldn't have posted it. They've all treated me very well and were there when I needed help. I also put down ptuning.com because they are CHEAPER. I think the better question is have you done business with any of them?

EDIT:
Myke- I have gotten ALL MY suspension from them. From a lower tie bar to the spings... They've always answered my e-mails and helped me.

-Chris

Please don't reply to me anymore. I'm done.

m_berrowSep-19-02 06:16 AM
Member since Feb 19th 2002
268 posts,
#33219, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 14

gary...faster gs said he called trying to send in his 99 ecu..see if you can get a hold of him so we can get the 99 ecu going. if you cant use his then take mine.

GS-N pssssst!

GS-N pssssst!

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-19-02 06:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33220, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 19

>gary...faster gs said he called trying to send in his 99
>ecu..see if you can get a hold of him so we can get the 99
>ecu going. if you cant use his then take mine.
>
>
>
>
>
>GS-N pssssst!

I have to finish the 98 first, before we can move on the 99. Sales of 97, and 98 will jsutify if it is worth the effort.

a_miller_76Sep-19-02 06:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#33221, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 20

So, wait, a '97 or '98 can't be used on a '99? I have a '99 and I want a computer...but if not enough people buy the 97 or 98 then I'm S.O.L.? Is there any way to convert a '97 to my '99 car in case you never sell them?

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-19-02 06:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33222, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 21

I haven't sit down and looked so see what the differences are yet.

Joshua97478Sep-19-02 07:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2662 posts,
#33223, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 22

Hey gary i know this is totally off topic, but your sig still advertises the Meet on august 24th, which was about a month ago. Just a minor little thing that kinda bugs me, but hey, it your sig you can do whatever you want.

Fucking Kangaroos.

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-19-02 07:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33224, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 25

> Hey gary i know this is totally off topic, but your sig
>still advertises the Meet on august 24th, which was about a
>month ago. Just a minor little thing that kinda bugs me, but
>hey, it your sig you can do whatever you want.

That was for Doctor Who he never made it.

Not Your DaddySep-19-02 07:46 AM
Member since May 03rd 2002
76 posts,
#33225, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 0

I have no problem with Gary or Howell ( thanks for all your efforts to help us with our cars) regarding customer service. I'm even probably going to use them very soon for engine rebuild parts. What I have a problem with is this quote
---> "Chris what do you do for a living? Are we going to hear about you on the next episode of the dumb crook news on John Boy and Billy's big show?" .
(realizing you were angered) This "is" a board full of people who buy your products. So to argue/namecall openly on a board of people who anxiously await your products may create business but it also may alienate. I fault no one for protecting their business but name calling to me is just a step back to adolescence. On a lighter note---- this is just my opinion and I'm still NOT YOUR DADDY .Damn where did I put that flame retardent suit ?

95RS/Kumho225/50/16"s/KonigDivas/Slot/Drill Arospeed Rotors//2" Sprint-Springs/ frt-rear alum. strut bars/Custom 2 1/2" Borla exhst w/dtm tip/AFX UDP/Accel wires/Modif.intake/Ported TB(In Garage)-JeepTB/HotshotHeader/Hotshot-intake/Mild port-polish Head/P

Super20GSep-19-02 08:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33226, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 24

I don't see why you are so anal on someone else taking the initiative to reprogram our ECU's anyways. I have read these posts for days now. I see It that The guy was saying he will buy one when the prices come down due to competition, not that he wanted to steal any software, or even condoned it. I mean, do you really think 1 company will always control the market for an aftermarket ECU on Eclipse/Talon's? Just cause it has been done doesnt mean someone else out there might design a way to do it as well, better or worst, but different...

I know only the bad of a company seems to show up, and that's because an impression has been made in individuals based on past experiences one has had with a company. And things like being hung up on when trying to find the product you paid for but havent recieved yet is one of them. Yes, you already have the customers money, and in a business sense, you should go on to the next guy, but that's not the way to keep your doors open for a long time... That's the get rich quick scheme that America is caught up in... If the world wasnt so fixated on the all mighty dollar, maby good customer service would come back into fashion. If you make a customer feel secure and all around good about their purchase from you, then they will most likely spread the good news at about the same rate as people that rant from negative experiences.

That's why I am always talking good about Hahn, cause Bill Jr. has always made me welcome to call him anytime, with any concerns I have, whether it be a wrong part, advice for future mods, chit chat about his season in the neon/eclipse, etc... Last week I got the wrong exhaust manifold gasket from Hahn, got ahold of Bill, and he next day air'd 5 more gaskets than I needed, free of charge, shipping free... for my inconvenience.

I am not meaning to be one sided even though it looks like it, I understand that in this case you misunderstood what a group member was meaning about a sensative subject obviously, but if you take care of problems in the correct mannor, a bandwagon effect would not have happened to the last thread. If 90% are pro-howell cause of the great help and prices they have recieved and heard about, and 10% are talking shit, the 90% would set the story straight.

Just my 2 cents

BreezioSep-19-02 12:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4863 posts,
#33227, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 27

On a first note.. I didn't read the actual AFX ECU thread, and only the intro post made on this thread (none of the others) and I'd just like to say, since I haven't before, that I ordered a Bored TB and CAI intake from howell automotive/AFX-Engineering and didn't have a single problem with it, everything worked great as expected, it came on time and I loved it. This was a few years ago when I had a 97' Plymouth Breeze with a SOHC 420a in it.

P.S. I may have my companies confused.. please point it out to me if I do.

EclipzeGamerSep-19-02 01:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
999 posts,
#33228, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 28

Gary, I've got a '96 ecu mtx that you can have to play with, just say the word and it's yours.

Jaeson
'96 Eclipse RS

Looks:
APC Euro clear bumper lens
front grill
chrome front emblem
Razo carbon fiber pedals
carbon fiber gauge bezel

Performance:
Perma-Cool oil cooler
custom airbox
GS-T muffler

On The Way:
Kaminari GTR wing off Shauns NER Eclipse
Hurricane_GS front & rear lower tie bars
95-96 side skirts

Smiley face 4 life!

Jaeson
'96 Eclipse RS

Dave_FLSep-19-02 01:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#33229, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 29

Al I have to say about howell automotiv eis that they are a great company and I have always had ZERO problems with them. I always get my stuff very promptly and I always get exactly what I need. They do a great job and I am very happy to have Gary and his team around to help us out with our quest to make our 420a's fast. Keep up the good work Gary!!

Dave
05 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4

Chris_FLSep-19-02 02:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
926 posts,
#33230, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 30

I haven't ordered from AFX and to be honest I haven't really heard about any probelms with them until now.

But if Gary is taking this so seriously and making quite an effort to explain himself, that just tells me how much respect he has for us as customers and future customers. If he didn't care he wouldn't be here trying to clear eveything up.

I will be definitely be ordering from you in the future after I blow up my engine.

http://www.snappydsl.net/ctoledo/

TeamXtremeRSSep-19-02 02:33 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#33231, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 0

"What makes good customer service? We think it is treating customers fairly, offering the lowest prices we can, and taking care of mistakes that we make. We feel it is treating people like human beings, and helping them when we can. We have helped a lot of you over the years, and a lot of you have helped us. It is a good symbiosis. As for those that condemn our customer service, I read their post, consider who they agree with and quote, and thank god I'm honest."

Sure thats sounds excellent for a great business ethic. Just wish you would treat EVERY CUSTOMER that way.

"As for our customer service. Every year are sales to the 2GNT community increase, and this is a fixed market as no more 2GNT cars are being built. We do this by providing good products, good customer service, and reasonable prices. Can you find people that don't like us sure, can you make a general statement like you have and be truthful, no. That fact of the matter we have many satisfied customers, and we have few unsatified, that is the nature of all business. We have plenty of happy customers, and we are doing well satifying their needs, and the needs of the new customers they send us. But thank you for your concern."

Yes, its very true that there will always be unhappy customers, no doubt about that, as it happens with ALL businesses. The thing that irks me is that you just accept that you have unhappy customers, and don't TRY to make them happy ones. You insult them, and are rude and unhelpful to make things good again. IMO, its pretty damn crass to basically say, "well we have unhappy customers, oh well, but we have happy ones that will keep coming back. We just want the happy ones to come back." LOL, yeah, that sounds like a very good business ethic to me

You have excellent products for our cars, no doubt about that. Good prices, great parts, and a great selection of stuff that we all can use on our cars. I would truly be amazed at how much more money you could make with a little more attention to the customer, his/her needs, and just plain being polite, and curteous, and working FOR the CUSTOMER. I'm no business major, but i work at a shop and have to work with customers all the time, ever day. We have our unhappy ones, just like any other business. BUT we try our hardest to make things right, and they recieve nothing but polite, helpful, honest service to get the problem fixed. You know what they say, for every 1 bad experience, that customer will tell 10 people they know about it!! So basically, you just lost 10 new, good paying customers. Now i'm no genious, but thats def not good for making money, or making a good, reputable name for yourself. Gary, i'm sure you in no way are a bad guy, I hope this doenst come accross like that. I just wish, as many others, that your customer service will be improved, and that you start paying more attention to the customer, good or bad ones. Making a unhappy customer happy again, is how you keep a strong, lucrative, reputable business. I hope all this drama here will open up a few eyes a little more over at Howell Automotive, and stubborness and egos will have to be overlooked, and working on getting, and keeping happy paying customers will be a new focus for a possibly very great business. Please, just take the time to listen the many customers you have, the happy ones, and most importantly the unhappy ones. You should be using the unhappy ones as input to how to greatly improve you business. Any very successful business owner will tell you the same...Thank you , and have a nice day

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Matt_95tgsSep-19-02 03:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#33232, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 32

I hope you don't mind, but I am moving our convresation over here where it belongs.

<Gary>
Matt,

I think that the question here is at what point does our responsibility end and yours begin. You claim that the block we shipped you had boltholes that were rusted, as these holes were unused on the core engine. At that point, logic would dictate you call to us and complain, which I would encourage. We never offered tapping or rethreading the boltholes as part of our service. This would add additional labor cost to the product that we would have to pass on to you the consumer. Had you called us one of two things would have happened, in a worse case scenario we would have had the engine picked up. Or we would have told you how to clean the threads using a tap. The problem is you never contacted us. You also never used a tap on your own. You drove a bolt in with an impact gun, which is not proper at all; this action you took on your own broke the metal surrounding the bolt. You never called us to ask if driving a bolt in with an impact gun was a good idea, it wasn’t as you can see the result. At what point do you take responsibility for your own actions? We never told you to drive the bolt in with an in pack, or even a hand wrench we knew what the result would be. You choose not involve us in the process until after your actions broke the block. At what point do you except responsibility for your own actions? Why did you not call us in the beginning? Why did you wait until you broke the block, through your own lack of knowledge?

<Me>

Gary, you missed the point completely. I don't care about the threads or the piece braking off and I understand your point of view there.
The problems came when I started the block up for the first time and the 2 freeze plugs in the oil passages began to leak like crazy. One of them was behind the flexplate (too far up to get at without taking the tranny off) and the other behind the crank gear and one of the timing belt brackets. My whole point was that you advertise a plug and play block, and when I got it all put in and running, it leaked like crazy, so it definately was not "Plug and Play" by any means. I had to pull the tranny off myself to fix the one leak, then I ran out of time to work on it since MSU classes started up, so I had to pay over $500 to have the timing belt assembly pulled off and the other oil leak fixed. You even admitted to me on the phone that those plugs were supposed to have some sort of a sealant on them and neither of them did. That is your fault completely. It is your business' fault that I had to spend over $500 to have the one leak fixed, and I had to spend an entire weekend pulling the tranny out to fix the other. That is absolutely not my responsibility, it is yours.

Also, I should mention that it is your responsiblity that you sent me the block 2 weeks late (took you 6 weeks). Also, you accidently sent me the wrong clutch the 1st time, so after I got my engine out, I had to wait a week to even start putting the new one in, and consiquently, I had no car for a week (tough getting to work that way...). I purchased the block with the intention of swaping it out in a weekend, and a weekend turned into a month for reasons that were not my fault. Taking a month to get a "Plug and Play" block installed does not seem reasonable to me. So you see, an offer for $25 worth of compensation was simply insulting. Maybe we were not on the same page with the problems that I had, but I already told you this exact story on the phone when you offered me the 25 bux. Thanks for the reply though.

<Gary>

The plugs are not required to have sealent on them, we usally do though. It is usaual that they would leak, even if they didn't have sealent. That is a grey area, had we forgotten the plugs, yes we would be at fault. We installed the plugs, but left off a non-required sealent. I just looked in the book, no sealent is required, but we have in the past put on a sealent. It is a grey area, we put in what the spec book required, we didn't go beyond what the spec book required. Grey area. Opinions from neutral obsevers?
The clutch. Our records indicate you order a clutch for a turbo car, which is what we sent. You have a non-turbo car with a turbo, which is a different clutch. I will share half responsiblity on this one. We should have ask in detail, you should have made sure we knew it was a Non-turbo car with a turbo. This was an easy mistake for both of us to make.

gary

Now for my reply:

As far as the clutch is concerned, I understand that mistakes happen and I never even complained to you when we made the swap. I was perfectly ok with that, but the fact is that it inconvienienced me and you did nothing about it. I even had to buy another clutch and flywheel so you would ship it before you received the wrong one. Otherwise, it would have delayed me another week. As far as the plugs are concerned, regardless of what your book says, it still was definately not even 0.0001% my fault. I didn't install them, you did and they come as part of the block. When I spoke to you on the phone about it, you said that they should have sealant on them, but regardless of whether or not that was accurate, the block still leaked like crazy (2 foot diameter puddle of oil after 20 mins of running from the clutch side plug alone). The plug was in there, but it just leaked around the edges. I don't see how you can't take responsibility for that, regardless of whether or not your book calls for sealant or not. You installed it as part of the block and I had to pay a lot of money and spend a lot of time to make it right.

If you or anyone here thinks I'm just a "negative" person or a "hater", you are absolutely wrong. If any of you were in my shoes having spent over 3 grand at a store, only to have a plug and play block that was actually a "Plug and start and leak and fix and plug and play" block that you had to spend over $500 more to make right, and spend a month installing it vs. a weekend, only to get on the phone and get offered a $25 compensation, you would have said a lot more about it than I did. All I did was state the facts to the board and people formed their own opinions (it took a lot to keep my opinions to myself). There's plenty of people who know who I am, and a "hater" or a "negative" person sure isn't my character.

I have said to many people who ask me about my experience with the block that I probably just got a lemon, and that I'm sure they will have a better experience than I did. I am not out to hurt your business Gary, but since I am the 1st guy on this board to buy your block, I think its important for people to know the 1 experience with it. I was not impressed by any means, and I won't have good feelings towards it untill you at least admit responsibility for the majority of my grief (which does not include the threads).

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

Fast420ASep-19-02 04:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#33233, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 33

New Sig pic says it all.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - unknown
Project: Baby on the way

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Super20GSep-19-02 04:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33234, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"

That's why I always say to do your own work, I know time was an issue here, but generally, it's best to do things yourself, so you know they were done right, and if they arent, then it falls on your shoulders... cause you never know what grease monkey is working on your engine whether it be any company. Grant it, you'd need someone to do a little machine work, but the fewer the hands touching it, the less likely it is to get fxcked up.

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune, it's a shame to spend good money on parts to have them turn out not as expected. I think it wouldnt have been hard nor take more than a couple seconds to chase the threads out from the bolt holes you needed to use, whether it be at howell or at your house, but it seems a plug and play block should have the correct bolt holes cleaned up and ready to go imho.

Matt_95tgsSep-19-02 04:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#33235, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 35

ahhhhhhhh if anyone here talks about the threads again... why ill.... hehe j/k But seriously though, as I stated many times, the threads were annoying, but thats not why I am complaining at all. Its the leaks that really cost me the most time and money... NOT THE THREADS Thanks for your thoughts though brad, after reading what most of the people have to say, I start to sorta feel like the bad guy after awhile when I know that I'm not.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

The1BillSep-19-02 07:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#33236, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 36

Here we go, a question, not a complaint.
I spoke to you on the phone the other day about the '96 ECU, and you told me that it is just like the '95. I am acquiring photos of the ECUs for each year, and I can tell you now that the cases are totally different between '95 and '96-'99. Also, the PCM descriptions and pinouts only change between '95 and '96. If you want, I can send you my MTX ECU for you and your programmer to play with to determine whether or not I am correct. Just say the word and I will send it on to you, along with Todd's '98 ECU.
Let me know.
-=B-=

William Bennett
SilverKlipz@attbi.com

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

nappyjimSep-19-02 11:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
8043 posts,
#33237, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 37

I just wonder if my 10 emails that i have sent Howell are ever going to be reponded to? I You have time to read all these posts, reply to em, give people neg. feedback. Take some of that time, read emails, respond and maybe you will get more buisness. Not everyone wants to call people on the phone to get a simple price. Sure its faster, but its just no my thing.

I would also like to point out that thru all this bashing and negative storys of Howell service. AFX_MANUFACTRING has No negative feedback. We not that bad Gary, really.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
home.comcast.net/~nappyjim/songs.html
home.comcast.net/~7291834avi/carputer/carputer.html
www.cardomain.com/id/napppyjim

*Proud Member of the Top Ten Post Whore Club*
*Proud And Co-Founding Member Of The Zoom Zoom Revolution*
nappyjim-3 Chip-0
No one likes you chip, go away.

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-20-02 12:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33238, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 38

>I just wonder if my 10 emails that i have sent Howell are
>ever going to be reponded to?

If we ever get them we will respond to them. E@mail is not perfect, and we don't always get them. I think some of the spam filters kill them.

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-20-02 01:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33239, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 37

>Here we go, a question, not a complaint.
>I spoke to you on the phone the other day about the '96 ECU,
>and you told me that it is just like the '95.

The cases maybe different, but my programmer states that the internal structure is more like the 95, than the 97,98. As a result the programming language is different, and thus has increased cost. Some of the 97 cost can be amortized over the 98 unit since they are very similar making the project economically viable.

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-20-02 12:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33240, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"

>Gary, you missed the point completely. I don't care about
>the threads or the piece braking off and I understand your
>point of view there.
>
>As far as the clutch is concerned, I understand that
>mistakes happen and I never even complained to you when we
>made the swap. I was perfectly ok with that, but the fact
>is that it inconvienienced me and you did nothing about it.
>
>If you or anyone here thinks I'm just a "negative" person or
>a "hater", you are absolutely wrong. There's plenty of
>people who know who I am, and a "hater" or a "negative"
>person sure isn't my character.
>
>I
>am not out to hurt your business Gary,

Then what is your point? You say your intent is not to hurt our business, you say these things don't bother you yet you bring them up. Why bring them up if they don't bother you. I'm confused here. As for the oil leak you described. 1) This engine (a race engine) was sold without warranty, and you knew that ahead of time. 2) I offered to pay for replacing the oil plugs, even though the engine was sold without warranty. 3) 99% of the parts we sell by other manufacturers do not cover labor, therefore in keeping with industry standards I offered to pay for replacing the oil plugs only, which was above what you agreed to during the purchase, as the engine was sold WITHOUT warranty with your full acknowledgement.

Warranties add cost up front, or in other words they increase the cost of the engine. You never paid that cost up front, you never bought a warranty. This is to cover possible repair cost. By purchasing and engine without a warranty, you get a cheaper price, because the seller does not have to cover any warranty cost. It is unfortunate, but that is what you agreed to in the begining. I know this will be hard for some people to understand, but by agreeing to, and purchasing an engine without warranty you accepted all responsibility for repair. We gave you a cheaper price on the engine in exchange for not having to warranty it, you agreed to that, and you purchased the engine. Our hands are tied by the agreement that you agreed to. We did nothing willful to cause the leak, and it is unfortunate, but problems do occur. The cheaper cost you got by not getting a warranty is to cover the cost of repair that you excepted responsibility of when purchasing an engine without warranty. Had there been a warranty, the cost of the engine would have been substancally higher, and it would have been covered, but that is a moot point, since you never purchased a warranty.

TeamJasonESi_TSep-20-02 02:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#33241, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 40

Gary,

I recommend you add a disclaimer about your site specifically stating from now on you sell all of your non-warranty items on an "AS IS" basis in very bold print and easy to see. I've read your web site's legal clause in regards to warranty info and it appear a bit confusing to me.

Since you are a specialized merchant of goods of a particular variety, you are held to a standard that includes what is called an "implied warranty of merchantability." Of course, this is all outlined in the Uniform Commercial Code.

Just a lil' something I picked up along the way.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-20-02 02:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33242, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 42

>Gary,
>
>I recommend you add a disclaimer about your site
>specifically stating from now on you sell all of your
>non-warranty items on an "AS IS" basis in very bold print
>and easy to see.
>
>Since you are a specialized merchant of goods of a
>particular variety, you are held to a standard that includes
>what is called an "implied warranty of merchantability."
>Of course, this is all outlined in the Uniform Commercial
>Code.
>
>Just a lil' something I picked up along the way.

Thank for the heads up.

It has been on the sight from day one, they same size as the rest of the text on the page;

"These are race engines and are sold for racing purposes only. They are sold as is, with no warranty expressed or implied." http://howell.mountain.net/sdc/howell/ProductAvail.asp?Product_ID=305

I'm familiar with UCC, learned about it business law.

TeamMichael_97RSSep-20-02 02:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#33243, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"

Warning mode: Keep this discussion constructive and civilized.

With that said an ECU is not an easy thing to program. And Howell doesn't cut corners on it. I saw a test in Mopar magazine on a Neon ECU. Stock vs Ken Bell vs AFX. The Ken Bell ECu advances timing at WOT, that is about it, and the price was just as high. For your money Howell remaps all fuel and timing curves, and other goodies. Not quick, not easy and not cheap.

I've had no bad experiences with RRE, Howell or others. They answer my questions, but I make them quick. I know what i want to ask and I ask it. Vendors don't have time to spend all day on the phon with one customer. I've even gotten parts from Howell quicker than they said it would take. RRE will help you, they even called to clarify an order because their computer said my car was NT and whatever I was ordering they wanted to be sure to send the right part.

Generally you get the attitude back you send out. If you call yelling, you usually do not get a nice responce.

Una salus victus.
He will triumph, who knows when to fight, and when not to fight. - Sun Tzu

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

All motor in the making.

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Crower Stage 2 Cams, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Crane Fireball HI-6DI2, FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730, Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: P&P Milled Head, Rear Disc Brakes, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Brake Lines

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Matt_95tgsSep-20-02 02:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#33244, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"

Well, I would say that since the block was not right from the beginning, that warrenty or no warrenty, it is still your responsibility. I paid for a "Plug and Play" block. That is NOT what I got. That is called a breach of contract (legally), not a warrenty issue. I paid for a service that I simply did not receive, plain and simple. You say you offered to pay for the leaks.... hahaha you've got to be joking. You offered me $25. Maybe that would pay for the new freeze plugs and the sealant I had to buy, but that sure doesn't pay for having to pull out a tranny, or to pull out the timing belt assembly (which i had to PAY for), or for the time I missed at work because I didn't have a car, or the mear frustration that I had to deal with... get my point?

The reason that I brought up the other issues is to simply say that you inconvienced me and did nothing about it. I shouldn't have to call you all pissed off every time I am unhappy about something in order for you to do anything about it. You think that it made me happy that you shipped the block late and sent me the wrong clutch??? To me, I would be more apt to help a customer out who is more lienient about our business' mistakes than one who calls up all pissed off with attitude. Just because I say that I understand that mistakes happen, doesn't mean that I wasn't inconvienienced.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS

1998 Eclipse GSX

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-20-02 03:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33245, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 45

You choose to buy a product sold without a warranty implied or expressed. The warranty would have been the contract, since there was no warranty issued there is no contract to breach. You would have had to pay a premium on the price of the short block to get a warranty or repair contract, you did not pay a premium to get a warranty. Since you did not pay for a warranty, none exist. No repair contract exist, you did not pay a premium to get one. In exchange for not getting a warranty, or repair contract, the price of the engine is lower than if one was offered, this is to offset any cost you incur during the use of this engine to repair it. You have already been compensated in advance for any repair work to the engine through a lower price. You agreed to the terms and accepted the risk of repair, and you were compensated for the higher risk through the advantage of receiving the engine at a lower price. By accepting the conditions of no warranty at the time of purchase, you accepted any and all repair cost as your own. No warranty or repair contract exist between us, you waived that when you agreed to purchase it without warranty.

As for the clutch our records indicate you ordered a clutch for a turbo car, you don't have a turbo car, you have a non-turbo car with a turbo. That is why the clutch you ordered didn't fit. Had you given us the correct information at the time of order you would have gotten the correct clutch. We have since changed our policy and ask now if it is a factory turbo car, or a non-turbo car with an aftermarket turbo.

optimuspetersonSep-20-02 04:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#33246, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 46

you keep saying warranty. He bought a defective product. End of story. This is your fault. I sure know that if this happened at the place i work for he would have gotten this thing almost for free by now. Companys need to learn to take care of their customers or they won't come back. If i S/O something for a custoemr and the vendor sends it wrong, i 99% of the time give the customer a 10% discount right there for something that isn't my or the company i work fors fault. You need to become a big boy and step up to the plate with the big boys and take care of customers like the big boy companys do. Just IMO

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

TeamJasonESi_TSep-20-02 06:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#33247, "What does"
In response to Reply # 47

Well, in fact, much of this sale would hinge on what is the obviousness of the "as is" disclaimer, while at the same time, what sort of express claims for the engine did Gary Howell make. I do remember the "plug-in-play" terminology as stated here on the board. And as much strength as the "AS IS" terminology states, it can be somewhat limited. The following generally applies to used car sales, but sales over $100 or so are usually placed in the same class. As you can see, it's not easy to slap an "AS IS" warranty on any item for sale without having to contend with honoring some sort of implied warranty:

The Uniform Commercial Code policy generally DISFAVORS disclaimers. See UCC Comment 1 to 2.313.

1. Cannot Disclaim Express Warranties. 2.316. See Fargo Machine & Tool CO v Kearney & Trecker 428 FSupp 364 (ED Mich 1977) What is being sold? A haybaler should bale hay, etc. 2.316(3)(a) suggests that as-is only negates implied warranties.

2. To be effective, Disclaimer must be conspicuous. 2.316(2) Depends on entire circumstances; location (front/back of contract, or other document, etc..); type size and color; surrounding words; timing of Disclosure; See MCPA (445.903 p&t); Latimer v Mueller and Sons Inc. 149 Mich App 620 (1986); Reasonable person standard -- QUESTION OF LAW

3. Buyer must have actual knowledge of disclaimer 2.316(3)(a)

4. Without the word "Merchantability" the disclaimer if PER SE invalid. 2.316(2); Hensley v Colonial Dodge Inc 69 Mich App 597 (1976).

5. Level of Consumers' Understanding ; Comment 7 to 2.316 implies that the terms, without further explanation, are only properly used in a commercial setting.

6. Seller's Conduct at time of sale; 2.316 "Unless the circumstances indicate otherwise..." ; Rushed deal, hidden documents, etc...

7. Construction of Disclaimer to protect buyer ; Contract construction against drafter; Disclaimers not favored by code; construed narrowly, look for ambiguity; Post Sale conduct: repairs made free of charge in as-is deal, etc..

8. Disclaimer cannot be unconscionable; Martin v Joseph Harriso co 767 F2d 296 (6th Cir. 1985, Mi Law) Disclaimer of warranty on seed sold to farmer held unconscionable.

9. Lack of good faith. ; 1.203 imposes duty of good faith and fair dealing in contract. Ex: failure to disclose defects, etc..

10. No disclaimer of tort, deceptive practices, etc ; 1.103 limits UCC coverage; EX: Concealed fraud.

11. Disclaimer only protects drafter ; Seller's disclaimer does not protect manufacturer (See an RD 108)

12. Magnuson Moss prohibits disclaimers of Implied warranties during time of express warranty; 15 USC / 2308 ; During term of express warranty or service contract, warrantor cannot disclaim implied warranties.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Matt_95tgsSep-20-02 06:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#33248, "RE: What does "AS IS" mean (some answers)"
In response to Reply # 49

Damn dood, you did some diggin for that haha. Thanks for helping me to prove my point. If I could rate you again, I would

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS

1998 Eclipse GSX

VendorAFX_ManufacturingSep-20-02 06:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
428 posts,
#33249, "RE: What does "AS IS" mean (some answers)"
In response to Reply # 49

Thanks, it is clear we have met all the requirements under the UCC (West Virginia version). Statements clearly labled, nothing hidden, no intent to defraud, he was compensated for the lack of warranty by not being charged for a warranty he did not recieve. We operated in good faith. Everything was spelled out and above board.

Matt_95tgsSep-20-02 05:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#33250, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 46

You keep saying its a warrenty issue. It is not a warrenty issue. It is a BREACH OF CONTRACT. You were negligent in the way that you put the block together, and consiquently, I had a leaky block. Furthermore, I can not waive negligence ever... no matter what I agree to or sign. Its not like I bought it and it worked fine, then I took it to the track and broke it, and now I want you to fix it... You never delivered the product as promised in the 1st place. We can go back and fourth all day on this I'm sure, but honestly, If I were a board member reading this thread, I sure wouldn't buy that block from you. There is no way legally that you can advertise a "Plug and Play block" and then deliver a leaky POS that takes a month to get to work properly (False Advertising), then just hide behind your "no warrenty" clause. That's just not ethical, especially to do it to someone who just spent as much money at your store as I did. If this hadn't happened, just think of how much more I would have spent at your store...

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS

1998 Eclipse GSX

BWtwoKSep-20-02 06:19 AM
Member since Sep 18th 2002
37 posts,
#33251, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 48

Matt,

I see some of your points but dude there are some problems after reading the original post about the problems with the block..
You bought a Built Short Block which means no Head and really no pan but you say this in your story.

"So we get the engine together and start it up. No oil pressure... so we pull off the pan only to realize that there is no oil pick up tube (half our fault, but still... if they are gonna put an oil pan on they sure as hell should put the oil pick up tube on too...)."

I would think since it really doesnt usually come with a pan it would have been beneficial to check this considering you could have burned the motor up right there. "Who's Fault would that have been??" Also as I think someone stated Howell gets the blocks from the Junkyard and so they dont always come out of the same type of car so some of the holes arent chased. You didnt have the proper tools so you winged I understand this as we have all done it Im sure. But At the point where the chunk comes off the block, Howell didnt have to deal with you anymore you were on your own at that point. You broke it Plain and simple whether is was a functional or intergral part or not it didnt matter you broke it you bought it.

As for the Freeze plugs I understand your point about the problem and kinda agree. and I see Howells point about being a Grey area. But No matter what Howell would never pay the labor to have to take it out and put it back in as thats not part of the warranty.. He would allow you to ship the block back to him at his cost maybe and replace and seal the freeze plugs himself and ship it back to you but thats it. Hell I woulda told him to put the 25 back on my card or send the cash and left it at that. I have looked at his site and cant see where you would get that the block is a plug and play.. I know of no engine building that doesnt have its problems.. Lifes a Biatch.. Im glad you got your car running.. Hope this helps.

Woody

First 2k Neon with SRT Swap. Full Swap
Owner of a 97 eclipse RS.
Lets see how long this stays stock.

Matt_95tgsSep-20-02 06:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#33252, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 51

I was just stating the entire story in my previous thread. You can form your own opinion on what is/isn't my fault. The oil pick-up tube or the threads are not the issue at hand though.

I don't believe for one second that you would have taken the 25 bux and walked away ok with the whole deal. Also, you're telling me that you would remove your engine again, after having it all running, to ship back to him to fix and then send back and then you have to install it again and that would be fine with you??? NO WAY, especially since its my daily driver. Its easy to sit back in your chair on the computer and say that, but when you actually have YOUR time and YOUR money on the line, the story would be much different.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS

1998 Eclipse GSX

JTSep-20-02 07:55 AM
Member since Sep 04th 2002
89 posts,
#33253, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 53

>The oil pick-up tube or the threads are not the issue at
>hand though.

It's not? Seems to me that you don't know a whole lot about engines. If you spend $2100 on an engine, I would imagine you would double check everything to make sure it lasts. Forgetting the oil pickup tube is a GIANT mistake, which is something you should have checked, and double checked.

Threads being chased? There are unused threads on the block. What's the logic in spending the time to make the threads all perfectly when you don't know if they'll be used or not? This is something you should have done. When you tried screwing it into the block and felt resistance, you should have checked the hole, and fixed it yourself, instead of taking the drastic measures you did (sounds like you're easily frustrated too, which gets you no where when working with cars).

>Its easy to sit back in your chair on the
>computer and say that, but when you actually have YOUR time
>and YOUR money on the line, the story would be much
>different.

So you made a mistake, and you expect him to pay for it? I wouldn't if I was him. If I was you, I would simply learn from my mistakes and take the responsibility to repair it myself. If I didn't know how, I'd learn.

I realize you spent a lot of money there, but from an outsiders point of view, your complaints should be heard by no one but yourself.

I'll admit when I make mistakes. I had a big mishap with my new motor. The machine shop did not install a freeze plug for the oil galley. Made a big mess. Yes they forgot to install it, but I forgot to check for it, so I just kept my mouth shut. That might be the wise thing for you to do.

Just think of it as half of an Eclipse with more power

Matt_95tgsSep-20-02 08:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#33254, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 55

How am I supposed to see with my eyes that a freeze plug is going to leak??? Thats not my responsibility. If you want to sit here and bash me for not checking if there was an oil dump tube on the block when there was a pan on it when it was shipped, than ok, but it seems to me like if there is a pan on it already, there would be a pick up tube in it as well. Common sense to me, but i guess not for an engine "expert" like yourself or gary.

Why are you guys even talking about the threads or anything else not related to the oil leaks??? Thats off topic and I never blamed gary for that, just stated what happened. It doesn't matter if that was 100% my fault because those aren't the reasons that I'm unsatisfied...

>I realize you spent a lot of money there, but from an outsiders
>point of view, your complaints should be heard by no one but
>yourself.

How about someone like me that is considering going this route? How about people who also think that I am indeed right? Since I am the only one here with the block, people WANT to know my experience, I didn't just force it upon anyone. Several people recommended that I put my experience on the forum before I decided to do it. And buy the way, my experience with the block (original post) isn't a complaint, its a fact and I am not the one who brought it up in the ECU post, someone else did.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS

1998 Eclipse GSX

JTSep-20-02 08:51 AM
Member since Sep 04th 2002
89 posts,
#33255, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 58

>How am I supposed to see with my eyes that a freeze plug is
>going to leak???

Which plug was it? Got pics?

>If you want
>to sit here and bash me for not checking if there was an oil
>dump tube on the block when there was a pan on it when it
>was shipped, than ok, but it seems to me like if there is a
>pan on it already, there would be a pick up tube in it as
>well.

How was the pan attached? Were all 10-12 bolts installed? Were they tight? Was there any labels or anything that said not to use that pan?

>Common sense to me, but i guess not for an engine
>"expert" like yourself or gary.

Hell no that's not common sense. If I spent $2100 on an engine, I'd yank off the oil pan just to make sure the correct rods were in it. But that's just me.

>Why are you guys even talking about the threads or anything
>else not related to the oil leaks??? Thats off topic and I
>never blamed gary for that, just stated what happened. It
>doesn't matter if that was 100% my fault because those
>aren't the reasons that I'm unsatisfied...

Well please reiterate why you're unsatisfied.

>How about someone like me that is considering going this
>route? How about people who also think that I am indeed
>right? Since I am the only one here with the block, people
>WANT to know my experience, I didn't just force it upon
>anyone. Several people recommended that I put my experience
>on the forum before I decided to do it.

I bought a high speed cutter, and didn't read the instructions. I cut off my leg. My friend asked me if I liked it, and I said No! It cut off my leg!

Well not really, but that's how I think you're reacting about your "bad" block.

Just think of it as half of an Eclipse with more power

BOSS122Sep-20-02 08:24 AM
Member since Sep 20th 2002
1 posts,
#33256, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 53

"I was just stating the entire story in my previous thread. You can form your own opinion on what is/isn't my fault. The oil pick-up tube or the threads are not the issue at hand though."]

Does the engine even run since you started it without oil? Did starting it without oil damage or overheat anything? Did using an impact gun on the engine with enough force to break parts cause things to get vibrated loose and leak?

"I don't believe for one second that you would have taken the 25 bux and walked away ok with the whole deal."

I would have been happy since its sold without a warranty. Many engine builders would have said tough cookies, go pound sand.

"Also, you're telling me that you would remove your engine again, after having it all running, to ship back to him to fix and then send back and then you have to install it again and that would be fine with you???"

Its something you have to accept if you are going to be racing your car. You WILL have major part removals and replacements on a regular basis.

"NO WAY, especially since its my daily driver."

There is one of your major problems, racing a daily driver. I won't be doing that any more after this season.

"Its easy to sit back in your chair on the computer and say that, but when you actually have YOUR time and YOUR money on the line, the story would be much different."

I've purchased transmisisons only to have them make funny noises the day I put them in and then they would gernade a week later and I didn't complain about it. Its something I accepted since I bought the transmissions without warranty.

Super20GSep-20-02 07:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
#33257, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 51

>You bought a Built Short Block which means no Head and
>really no pan but you say this in your story.
>
>"So we get the engine together and start it up. No oil
>pressure... so we pull off the pan only to realize that
>there is no oil pick up tube (half our fault, but still...
>if they are gonna put an oil pan on they sure as hell should
>put the oil pick up tube on too...)."

Yeah no shit Matt, I don't know why they'd install a oil pan and no oil dump tube either, nit like it takes any amount of time. But you learned to build your own shortblock next time huh, and just pay for a few machine shop costs...

>Also as I think someone stated
>Howell gets the blocks from the Junkyard and so they dont
>always come out of the same type of car so some of the holes
>arent chased.

But if your buying a built, plug and play shortblock, shouldnt the appropriate bolt holes be chased for an Eclipse install? Not like that takes any time either...

>But At the
>point where the chunk comes off the block, Howell didnt have
>to deal with you anymore you were on your own at that point.
>You broke it Plain and simple whether is was a functional or
>intergral part or not it didnt matter you broke it you
>bought it.

Yeah, Matt broke it, or one of his friends, yeah, that was his mistake mostly, but if the threads were plug and play... woudlnt have happened... And Matt hasnt been on here talking shit or anything, he's just stating his case, as anyone that felt they got fxcked would do. He'll he didnt even pitch much of a fit about that, he took responsibility.

>and I see Howells point about being
>a Grey area.

How about a black area.... all over the ground... thats a heck of a grey area if freeze plugs that don't require sealant set someone back like that if they need their car to get to and from school and work...

But No matter what Howell would never pay the
>labor to have to take it out and put it back in as thats not
>part of the warranty.. He would allow you to ship the block
>back to him at his cost maybe and replace and seal the
>freeze plugs himself and ship it back to you but thats it.

Well, that'd be about stupid to ship a shortblock back to him and have it sent back again, that's a huge freggin loss of money and time. Shipping those things isnt cheap, and I am sure Matt would much rather get the money refunded to him and have the work done locally rather than be outta an engine for that much longer, if it arrived late the first time, I am sure he wasnt wanting to chance it a second time.

>Hell I woulda told him to put the 25 back on my card or send
>the cash and left it at that. I have looked at his site and
>cant see where you would get that the block is a plug and
>play..

Plug and play was posted to this site I believe a while ago when the block was first being made... I believe someone from AFX or Gary posted about it to get people to buy... And 1% of a refund on a 2100 dollar block is an insult IMHO, expecially since the freeze plugs causes sooo much of a hastle... You dont dis-assemble a plug and play block to rework it yourself, that was probably Matt's intent in purchasing it.

Matt, I sure hope the clutch was on a seperate order before the block and not being purchased at the same time, lol...

I really think this thread should go off here and back between the parties concerned cause this isnt getting anyone anywhere, you can point fingers all day long...

It looks like most support Bill and Howell, cause if they didn't eveyone would probably slam his feedback rating hard like he did misunderstanding the intent of one of the other members. I am a neutral party, more on the side of the customer, but blame obviously lies on both sides.

SquidSep-20-02 08:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#33258, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 54

I believe this is the post where Gary announced he was selling built blocks:

http://63.99.108.81/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=5458&forum=DCForumID13&viewmode=all

-J

Matt_95tgsSep-20-02 08:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#33259, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 56

the "plug and play" term came from his site in the block description before it was changed

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS

1998 Eclipse GSX

Administratoradmin2Sep-20-02 08:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
543 posts,
#33260, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread -Admin Note"
In response to Reply # 59

>the "plug and play" term came from his site in the block
>description before it was changed

That is a claim that has not been verified. The words "Plug and Play" were never on the website in my memory, nor in the memory of the website owner. if you wish to dispute this, please provide proof. Google.com provides a website cache you may be able to check, as well as archive.com's internet archive. Until you provide proof, such claims cannot be substantiated and are considered false statements.

Teameclipse804Sep-20-02 08:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#33261, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 59

Matt, all thes new people are questioning you, but don't let it get to you. Seems to be a lot of new neon members here that weren't here when you went through the whole ordeal earlier. I understand how you feel. Honestly, if I were you, I would go to small claims court and pay the 50 dollar court fee just to make your case. I bet you'd get at least half the price of that block back. That's just what I would do if I were truly upset that I did not get what I had paid for. But I'm not advocating it...good luck...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

TeamXtremeRSSep-20-02 09:45 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#33262, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 0

JT wrote" It's not? Seems to me that you don't know a whole lot about engines. If you spend $2100 on an engine, I would imagine you would double check everything to make sure it lasts. Forgetting the oil pickup tube is a GIANT mistake, which is something you should have checked, and double checked"

Now WHY even pay 2100 bucks for a PREBUILT block and have to double check everything???? WHY!!!! WHY!!!!!! WHY even bother purchasing this block? You may as well go get your own block done up by a machine shop, and have them assemble it. Lets say you did that, and when you get the block back from the machine shop, you are going to take off the oil pan, and double check everything you JUST PAID TO HAVE DONE! What kind of shit is that? Do it your damn self, thats what i say. Cause you sure as hell cant trust anyone else to do things right nowadays. If I took my block to the machine shop, it would get hot tanked, cleaned, and repainted. MOST machine shops will do that, at very little or absolutly no charge at all. I would expect a beatiful looking block after i just shelled out over 2 grand for it.Matt's block came painted crappy chrysler blue, and painted right over RUST!!!!
And i sure would hope that you would be able to trust the builder for a properly built engine, and not have to double check things. Which brings me back to my point, why even bother to pay for this "prebuilt" block? I'm having my block done up at a machine shop, It will be perfectly cleaned, and all threads will be tapped, as this is for the most part a standard with most reputable machine shops. Once the block is ready, i will assemble it myself, and it will be perfect. I GAURENTEE you that it will cost less than 2100 bucks when its all said and done. And this will be with out any big "hookups" from anyone. I will always suggest to anyone who asks about a prebuilt motor, to go have it done locally, by someone who really knows what they are doing when it comes to getting a fully functional, great looking, rust free race block. Dont be afraid to assemble your own block, its pretty damn easy, i have done a few already. If you want it done right the FIRST TIME, then DO IT YOURSELF!! Thank you , and have a nice day :;

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

a_miller_76Sep-20-02 09:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#33263, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 63

Jesus, if you guys have a problem with Howell don't do business with them...personally I'm going to.

So everybody, be quiet, call them and take up your problems with them personally...and STOP POSTING THIS SHIT!

I wish I was a moderator so I could lock this. I'm interested in the progress and availability of the ECU and I'm seeing nothing but whiney crap on here.

IT'S CALLED A PHONE, USE IT!

BWtwoKSep-20-02 12:32 PM
Member since Sep 18th 2002
37 posts,
#33264, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 64

Matt,

If you would have read my post clearly you may have understood. I was not serious about pulling the engine.. Just making the point that that would be about the only way to have the vendor be obligated to fix the problems.

Also for everyone the chimed in about the Freeze plugs as these are the area that matt is kinda upset about the most.. I understand your point matt and yeah Howell even said that they should look at that in the future that he considered it a Grey area.. Well thats his opinion and I would just let it go that maybe you helped out another enthusiast from going through your experience by bring light to Howell that they need to work on a couple of things. Also for a heads up.. I built the new site for howell including adding alot of that data and have not changed it since the initial data insertion. Pages have changed but the data has been the same. Here is a link to the short block..

http://howell.mountain.net/sdc/howell/ProductAvail.asp?Product_ID=450

As it states.

Short blocks are shipped without cylinder heads or oil pans.
With that statement I would have prolly inspected the pan at that point.. Im sure you had it on an engine stand before install... One other thing.. You may wanna see if someone can take a pic of some of the holes in the block that are exclusively used for your applications.. Could send them to Howell so their Machine shop can chase those holes. I have not bashed anyone here just trying to point somethings out from an outside observer..

Woody

First 2k Neon with SRT Swap. Full Swap
Owner of a 97 eclipse RS.
Lets see how long this stays stock.

nappyjimSep-20-02 01:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
8043 posts,
#33265, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 65

Im glad i went with Jasper over my first choice and much much argued with over my dad, Howel Stoker 2.2, I argued and argued with him over these 2 engines. He wanted Jasper, i wanted Howell. he said no warranty on howell, i said so what. Im glad i finally sat down and thought about it and went with jasper. I dont think an extra .2 liters is worth the trouble.

BTW, has anyone else on this board bought a block besides matt?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
home.comcast.net/~nappyjim/songs.html
home.comcast.net/~7291834avi/carputer/carputer.html
www.cardomain.com/id/napppyjim

*Proud Member of the Top Ten Post Whore Club*
*Proud And Co-Founding Member Of The Zoom Zoom Revolution*
nappyjim-3 Chip-0
No one likes you chip, go away.

Super20GSep-20-02 03:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
#33266, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 66

I say take this thread to the pits, cause this isn't performance talk, that's for sure and shouldnt have been posted here in the beginning. We have 2 groups obviously, the ones than seem so anal to back up obvious faults, and the ones that don't like being hung up on the phone cause they aren't saying credit card numbers to get the workers attention, and these 2 groups are never gonna solve anything cause we're all too stubborn... You all can deal with whoever you want for your parts, it's up to you, but I am quite happy with my current hookups for the simple reason that they treat me like a person, not a figure, so wherever you find that service, I suggest you stick with them, cause there is a lot of companies out there ready to burn you, buyers beware.

Fast420ASep-20-02 04:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#33267, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"

Is the Jasper engine a built block with Forged Rods and Pistons? Thats a big difference there between the jasper block and the Howell block if they aren't.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - unknown
Project: Baby on the way

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-21-02 05:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#33268, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"

Any modifications you do to the car void the warranty on the Jasper engine anyway. Square one..

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

oMInOUs97RSSep-20-02 03:59 PM
Member since Mar 22nd 2002
394 posts,
#33269, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 64

"
>Jesus, if you guys have a problem with Howell don't do
>business with them...personally I'm going to.
>
>So everybody, be quiet, call them and take up your problems
>with them personally...and STOP POSTING THIS SHIT!
>
>I wish I was a moderator so I could lock this. I'm
>interested in the progress and availability of the ECU and
>I'm seeing nothing but whiney crap on here.
>
>IT'S CALLED A PHONE, USE IT!
"

Guys, can't we all just get along??
For real though, I agree with A_Miller_76 on this one, we all know what is going on and has gone on, some of us just want to know about the ECU. Obviously, we don't HAVE to read all these back and forth arguing posts, but they're here, it's something to do, it's information, and all that good stuff. Obviously I don't want to piss anybody off, and obviously I'm sorry shit happened to Matt's motor, but please, eneough is enough. I think we all have heard the extent of the arguments.
Thank you and have a nice day!

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
-Albert Einstein

TeamStan2gntSep-21-02 04:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#33270, "RE: Follow up to those that bashed us in the PCM thread"
In response to Reply # 68

Here we go again. I've ordered enough shit from Howell and other shops to know a good shop from a bad one.

I've never not gotten a product, never gotten a shipment late, never paid too much and never was unable to resolve any issues.

Howell may not be perfect but far from a shop trying to get over or one with unsound business practices.

And if you really think Howells business is suffering from disappointed customers (or any other reason) you are off your rocker. They have droves of loyal customers (especially neon owners). How many shops do you know that can survive and grow with no honda products and speciallizing in late model chrysler products. Other than DSM they dont even sell any import products.

If they are so bad name one other shop that does or sells more for 420A equiped cars or has been doing it longer.

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #33199 Previous topic | Next topic