Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8759
View in linear mode

Subject: "Deciding on a new clutch" Previous topic | Next topic
Eclipsedrivr2002Apr-13-11 03:56 PM
Member since Jun 02nd 2010
24 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8759, "Deciding on a new clutch"

Hi guys, I am in the middle of a major rebuild and I figured it was about time I ordered a clutch to go along with my kit. I was told that the ACT DN2-HDSS was a good option for our cars - disc - 284-310 ft. lb of torque capable - But the last clutch I had installed was a clutchmasters. I believe I had the 05-084-HDTZ clutch. Anyone know which would be a better clutch to go with? I know the conversion clutch with the flywheel from ACT was about 920.00~ and the clutchmaster was about 795.00~ (which to be honest the difference is nominal when talking about spending damn near a grand on a clutch. I want something that I will be able to run about 12-14 PSI on and now have to worry with any issues down the road. Anyone have a suggestion or a personal experience with either or have a opinion with one of the other they could let me know about? Thanks again guys.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Deciding on a new clutch, Wes Tank, Apr-13-11 03:59 PM, #1
RE: Deciding on a new clutch, Eclipsedrivr2002, Apr-13-11 04:12 PM, #2
      RE: Deciding on a new clutch, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-13-11 04:17 PM, #3
           RE: Deciding on a new clutch, 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-13-11 09:33 PM, #4
                RE: Deciding on a new clutch, Eclipsedrivr2002, Apr-14-11 02:19 AM, #5
                     RE: Deciding on a new clutch, Ebster1085, Apr-14-11 07:37 AM, #6
                          RE: Deciding on a new clutch, 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-14-11 08:40 AM, #7
                               RE: Deciding on a new clutch, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-14-11 08:54 AM, #8

Wes TankApr-13-11 03:59 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8760, "RE: Deciding on a new clutch"
In response to Reply # 0

Check out southbend. They make excellent clutches for our cars.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Eclipsedrivr2002Apr-13-11 04:12 PM
24 posts,
#8761, "RE: Deciding on a new clutch"
In response to Reply # 1

I have heard about those from members on this forum but I don't think I am willing to give them a go with my application. I am really trying to decide between these 2 since I am familiar with both as is my mechanic

AdministratorCODE4Apr-13-11 04:17 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#8762, "RE: Deciding on a new clutch"
In response to Reply # 2

I run a CM FX600 and love it. Extreme for street use, but my car is not a DD. 12k miles on it so far.

---

2012 2500HD LML

420agreenvilleSCApr-13-11 09:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8763, "RE: Deciding on a new clutch"
In response to Reply # 3

are you 4g63? from what i can remember, ACT doesnt make a clutch solution for the NVT, unless they changed...

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Eclipsedrivr2002Apr-14-11 02:19 AM
24 posts,
#8764, "RE: Deciding on a new clutch"
In response to Reply # 4

Both the part #'s I have listed are for the 420a motor. I am honestly leaning toward the ACT simply because the 920.00~ includes the flywheel and I have heard a lot of good things from friends who own those clutches, just wanted to see if anyone had any good expesiences with either, or prefer one over the other. Ya, that FX600 is a tad out of my category, I don't need something that big, lol.

Ebster1085Apr-14-11 07:37 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#8767, "RE: Deciding on a new clutch"
In response to Reply # 5

I run a CM Stage 4 six puck with the Fidanza alumminum flywheel. I have a built motor and am tuned to 16psi on the S16G turbo. Never had the car dyno'd, but I imagine I am around 300hp at the crank.

Clutch was rock solid for around 3K miles and then began to slip. I have read about this happening with many other people as well, mostly Neon tuners, so I personally do NOT recommend CM. On the other hand, I have heard of people using this same setup with success, so it may be a case by case basis.

Personally, if I were you, I would go with a SB clutch. I have heard nothing but great things about these clutches for our application and when I decide to buy a new one, I will definitely be getting a SB.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

420agreenvilleSCApr-14-11 08:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8768, "RE: Deciding on a new clutch"
In response to Reply # 6
Apr-14-11 08:41 AM by 420agreenvilleSC

Originally posted by Ebster1085
Personally, if I were you, I would go with a SB clutch. I have heard nothing but great things about these clutches for our application and when I decide to buy a new one, I will definitely be getting a SB.

this... right here... is... my swag

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

AdministratorCODE4Apr-14-11 08:54 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#8770, "RE: Deciding on a new clutch"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
my swag

STUFF WE ALL GET

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8759 Previous topic | Next topic