Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectDeciding on a new clutch
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=8759
8759, Deciding on a new clutch
Posted by Eclipsedrivr2002, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hi guys, I am in the middle of a major rebuild and I figured it was about time I ordered a clutch to go along with my kit. I was told that the ACT DN2-HDSS was a good option for our cars - disc - 284-310 ft. lb of torque capable - But the last clutch I had installed was a clutchmasters. I believe I had the 05-084-HDTZ clutch. Anyone know which would be a better clutch to go with? I know the conversion clutch with the flywheel from ACT was about 920.00~ and the clutchmaster was about 795.00~ (which to be honest the difference is nominal when talking about spending damn near a grand on a clutch. I want something that I will be able to run about 12-14 PSI on and now have to worry with any issues down the road. Anyone have a suggestion or a personal experience with either or have a opinion with one of the other they could let me know about? Thanks again guys.
8760, RE: Deciding on a new clutch
Posted by Wes Tank, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Check out southbend. They make excellent clutches for our cars.
8761, RE: Deciding on a new clutch
I have heard about those from members on this forum but I don't think I am willing to give them a go with my application. I am really trying to decide between these 2 since I am familiar with both as is my mechanic
8762, RE: Deciding on a new clutch
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I run a CM FX600 and love it. Extreme for street use, but my car is not a DD. 12k miles on it so far.
8763, RE: Deciding on a new clutch
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
are you 4g63? from what i can remember, ACT doesnt make a clutch solution for the NVT, unless they changed...
8764, RE: Deciding on a new clutch
Both the part #'s I have listed are for the 420a motor. I am honestly leaning toward the ACT simply because the 920.00~ includes the flywheel and I have heard a lot of good things from friends who own those clutches, just wanted to see if anyone had any good expesiences with either, or prefer one over the other. Ya, that FX600 is a tad out of my category, I don't need something that big, lol.
8767, RE: Deciding on a new clutch
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I run a CM Stage 4 six puck with the Fidanza alumminum flywheel. I have a built motor and am tuned to 16psi on the S16G turbo. Never had the car dyno'd, but I imagine I am around 300hp at the crank.

Clutch was rock solid for around 3K miles and then began to slip. I have read about this happening with many other people as well, mostly Neon tuners, so I personally do NOT recommend CM. On the other hand, I have heard of people using this same setup with success, so it may be a case by case basis.

Personally, if I were you, I would go with a SB clutch. I have heard nothing but great things about these clutches for our application and when I decide to buy a new one, I will definitely be getting a SB.

8768, RE: Deciding on a new clutch
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Ebster1085
Personally, if I were you, I would go with a SB clutch. I have heard nothing but great things about these clutches for our application and when I decide to buy a new one, I will definitely be getting a SB.

this... right here... is... my swag
8770, RE: Deciding on a new clutch
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
my swag

STUFF WE ALL GET
I generated this page in 0.0086619853973389 seconds, executing 7 queries.