Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8717
View in linear mode

Subject: "VSS Emergency?" Previous topic | Next topic
95baserFeb-13-11 05:55 PM
Member since Jun 29th 2009
64 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8717, "VSS Emergency?"

I went to change out the vss on my 95 gs tonight, the top part of the sensor came out, can't "find" the rest. Anyone able to help at all.
This sucks now, I liked it better with no speedo. Lol.
But any help is appreciated.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: VSS Emergency?, Moderatorteklein, Feb-13-11 05:59 PM, #1
RE: VSS Emergency?, 95baser, Feb-13-11 06:01 PM, #2
      RE: VSS Emergency?, Moderatorteklein, Feb-13-11 06:03 PM, #3
           RE: VSS Emergency?, 95baser, Feb-13-11 06:07 PM, #4
                RE: VSS Emergency?, 420agreenvilleSC, Feb-13-11 09:42 PM, #5
                RE: VSS Emergency?, 95baser, Feb-13-11 09:54 PM, #6
                     RE: VSS Emergency?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-14-11 11:23 AM, #7
                RE: VSS Emergency?, 95baser, Feb-14-11 06:31 PM, #8
                     RE: VSS Emergency?, 420agreenvilleSC, Feb-14-11 10:58 PM, #9
                          RE: VSS Emergency?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Feb-15-11 02:32 PM, #10
                               RE: VSS Emergency?, 95baser, Feb-15-11 02:50 PM, #11
                                    RE: VSS Emergency?, 420agreenvilleSC, Feb-15-11 03:02 PM, #12
                                         RE: VSS Emergency?, 95baser, Feb-15-11 06:57 PM, #13
                                              RE: VSS Emergency?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Feb-16-11 03:53 AM, #14
                                                   RE: VSS Emergency?, 420agreenvilleSC, Feb-16-11 11:09 AM, #15
                                                        RE: VSS Emergency?, 95baser, Feb-16-11 06:45 PM, #16
                                                             RE: VSS Emergency?, 420agreenvilleSC, Feb-16-11 11:54 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: VSS Emergency?, 95baser, Feb-17-11 12:19 AM, #18
                                                                       RE: VSS Emergency?, 420agreenvilleSC, Feb-17-11 08:23 AM, #19

ModeratortekleinFeb-13-11 05:59 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#8718, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 95baser
I went to change out the vss on my 95 gs tonight, the top part of the sensor came out, can't "find" the rest. Anyone able to help at all. This sucks now, I liked it better with no speedo. Lol. But any help is appreciated.

you mean the gear did not come out?

See if you can get it out. Most likely you will need to drop the trans and seperate it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95baserFeb-13-11 06:01 PM
64 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8719, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 1

I have been trying to get it out for the last hour. And pulling the trans out right now is not really an option, is there another way around to open it up still on the car?

ModeratortekleinFeb-13-11 06:03 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#8720, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 2

I have been trying to get it out for the last hour. And pulling the trans out right now is not really an option, is there another way around to open it up still on the car?

Nope, trans has to come out.

Its not that bad, check the wiki. Good how to there.

95baserFeb-13-11 06:07 PM
64 posts,
#8721, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 3

I've swapped the clutch once, and put a diff trans in alreayd. I'm familiar with it, just a majority of my tools are at work. Plus no drop lights or anything else here. I do appreciate the info. Hopefully I can find some way of pulling it out and then taking it apart. Definetly not what I wanted to do considering its my only car that runs right now, work in about 10 hrs too. Lol. Well, off to work I go I guess.

420agreenvilleSCFeb-13-11 09:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8722, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 4

DO NOT just leave it and start the car and roll w/ it. It'll screw up almost everything and it grings that gear up and turns everything white with its fine plastic particles everywhere. Tims right tho, if u don't have access to fibre optics w/ a needle nose pliers end, trans has to be seperated. That's why in the VSS or 3.55 wiki writeup to pull the VSS "carefully" to avoid just this very situation

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

95baserFeb-13-11 09:54 PM
64 posts,
#8723, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 5

I did try and pull it very carefully, after looking at the old "top" piece, the clip had broken. I was going very slowly and straight up and out. But, it adds on to my week.as it sits, I nearly have the tranny out. Taking a breather, covered in dirt and doing it all with a flashlight. It'll be out with in the hour, I'll drain it and then bring it on my back porch and disassemble it. Anything I need to worry about in particular when taking it apart and putting it back together? I've never been fond of taking trannys apart.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-14-11 11:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#8724, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 6

Good luck man.

I actually have some pictures of what will happen if you leave the speedo gear loose in the trans somewhere, if you'd like to see them

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

95baserFeb-14-11 06:31 PM
64 posts,
#8725, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 4

So, I got the tranny out, I had to stop last night, worked today, it was below freezing here in fl. When I went inside.
My question now, through searching and searching, mind you I am only able to use my phone, laptop took a huge one on me. Could anyone send me a lindk to open up the tranny, is there anything I have to worry about when I go to open it up? Piece falling out?
Preferably is there some write up on it?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Shaun

420agreenvilleSCFeb-14-11 10:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8726, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 8
Feb-14-11 11:01 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

dino, please share the pics. i've seen em once, but havent in quite some time now. if anything, they're good for reference searches

also, look at the 3.55 wiki. it's for a neon trans but its basically the same thing. good instructions on trans separation on there

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

ModeratorbullettdsmFeb-15-11 02:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#8727, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 9

Here let me help you out with the link;

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=3.55

Should get you there. Just be patient when putting it back together.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

95baserFeb-15-11 02:50 PM
64 posts,
#8728, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 10

I got to the link last night, I appreciate it, I thought it would be under something different, I have a friend of mine coming over tonight to take a look at it, he specializes in trannys.

Thanks for the help to all out there, this has been a great and wonderful site. I used the 60mm throttle body write up already, yet to install, but everything seems great.

420agreenvilleSCFeb-15-11 03:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8729, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 11

...he specializes in trannys.

thats nasty

95baserFeb-15-11 06:57 PM
64 posts,
#8730, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 12

Right. Lol, its all good though, to each their own.

So when I got home tonight, I took it apart, bellhousing side off, turns out one of the brass "washers" in the bellhousing got "crushed". I'm curious to know what they are so I can find a part number and order it, I shouldn't have Let someone I know try and rush putting it back together, especially since he deals with 6g72's only...

So, in turn I'm down for a little while until I discover that part, plus note, rest of the internals look great with little to no wear.

ModeratorbullettdsmFeb-16-11 03:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#8731, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 13

turns out one of the brass "washers" in the bellhousing got "crushed". I'm curious to know what they are so I can find a part number and order it, I shouldn't have Let someone I know try and rush putting it back together

I told you to be patient lol.

But seriously; brass washer? It might be my alzheimers kicking in, but I don't recollect a brass washer inside the bellhousing. I've done quite of few of these and the only thing that I can remember is the brass bushings pressed into the bellhousing. More description or, even better, a pic would be nice.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

420agreenvilleSCFeb-16-11 11:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8732, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by bullettdsma pic would be nice.

This

95baserFeb-16-11 06:45 PM
64 posts,
#8733, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 15

It was the brass bushing pressed into the bellhousing, I checked it out at a shop. Unfotunately I can't figure out how to add pics from my phone, though I could email them to someone if they are willing to post them.

From where it sets now, I am going to have it completely rebuilt with a LSD.

Although if someone has something in good shape in NE Florida, I'm open to offers, though it won't be for a few weeks.

420agreenvilleSCFeb-16-11 11:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8734, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 16

From where it sets now, I am going to have it completely rebuilt with a LSD. Although if someone has something in good shape in NE Florida, I'm open to offers, though it won't be for a few weeks.

wow... all this from a damn speedo gear. what a PITA! hey, at least you didn't have a scare like TIM did with the reverse sensor steel ball... LOLL

95baserFeb-17-11 12:19 AM
64 posts,
#8735, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 17

That could explain why I didn't have any reverse lights. Lol. I found a cute little silver ball/bearing making love to my magnet the first time I pulled the cases apart. As well as an itty bitty piece of a spring. Part of why I'm going to have a shop rebuild it all.
But in hind sight, I did pay only $45 for it about 9 months ago, and its my fault its not functioning. So honestly, I'm not complaining.

What sucks is that my 95 GS just got put on the back burner for my 94 3000gt. A friend of mine dropped off a motor for me since he heard the GS was down. Great friends, a great online community. Things aren't that bad at all.

As well, if anyone could recommend any shops in about a 150 mile radius of Jacksonville, Fl. That does phenomonal transmission work. It would be greatly appreciated.

Shaun

420agreenvilleSCFeb-17-11 08:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8736, "RE: VSS Emergency?"
In response to Reply # 18
Feb-17-11 08:24 AM by 420agreenvilleSC

That could explain why I didn't have any reverse lights. Lol. I found a cute little silver ball/bearing making love to my magnet the first time I pulled the cases apart. As well as an itty bitty piece of a spring.

yea, that'd be the reverse sensor ball and the spring behind the ball. consider yourself lucky that they didn't get thrown into the differential's spider gears...

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8717 Previous topic | Next topic