Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #867
View in linear mode

Subject: "How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)" Previous topic | Next topic
mkerleyJun-21-03 11:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#867, "How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"

I just got mine in the mail today. I was kind of disappointed by the appearance. Here's a pic. Notice the multiple pieces (instead of 1 as pictured on the site), beat up aluminum, and lack of fillets on the corners. Anybody else's look this way?

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), TeamAvenger, Jun-22-03 08:20 AM, #1
RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), Teamner947, Jun-23-03 05:41 AM, #2
      RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), TeamJasonESi_T, Jun-23-03 07:35 AM, #3
      RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), TeamAvenger, Jun-23-03 08:16 AM, #4
           RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), mkerley, Jun-23-03 09:13 AM, #5
                RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), TeamJasonESi_T, Jun-23-03 09:43 AM, #6
                     RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), siueclipse, Jun-23-03 07:12 PM, #7
                          RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), 2g99RSNC, Jun-24-03 12:41 AM, #8
                               RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), TeamMichael_97RS, Jun-24-03 06:03 AM, #9
                               RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), TeamJasonESi_T, Jun-24-03 09:57 AM, #10
                                    RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), JustOne, Jun-24-03 09:01 PM, #11
                                         RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), mkerley, Jun-25-03 12:09 PM, #12
                                              RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-25-03 01:53 PM, #13
                                                   RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), TeamMichael_97RS, Jun-26-03 04:48 AM, #14
                                                        RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-26-03 05:56 AM, #15
      RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics), Teamner947, Jun-26-03 11:56 AM, #16

TeamAvengerJun-22-03 08:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#874, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 0

Yep mine looked the same.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamner947Jun-23-03 05:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#882, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 1

ewww, that looks pretty ghetto. i guess from what i hear it works well though. once i get mine in the mail i'll take a picture.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

TeamJasonESi_TJun-23-03 07:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#886, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 2

OMG, wow.

Mine didn't look ANYTHING like that!

(not a great pic)

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

TeamAvengerJun-23-03 08:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#887, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 3

I decided to post an email I recieved from Bryan when I asked him about the SID (appearance and the lack of the pins/tabs). This by no means says that I am unsatisfied with the performance of the product because I feel that it does it's job magnificently. I just had some questions and concerns in regard to it.

The revised unit that you have does not need the clips or pins you remove
the tie and slipde it in the diff. I have done a few this way, and it is
much safer and easier than dealing with the tabs.

The unit now features ramp angles to assist twist and to produce more bite
on the spider gears. The old units that had the curved diff pin AL
centers
were not twisting on the pin as much so I updated the design. The Plates
are hardened to a rockwell 52 std which causes the steel to rust quickly
so
I ship them dirty since alot of customers let them sit for a while. I
have
taken a function over form approach to mu units, concentrating on
perforance
over looks. If I was selling body kits this would not be the case, but
90%
of my customers are serious racers and their SID never is going to see the
light of day.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

mkerleyJun-23-03 09:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#888, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 4

>The Plates
>are hardened to a rockwell 52 std which causes the steel to
>rust quickly

So, he's saying that the plates will rust b/c they're hardened? Doesn't sound correct to me, but I guess I'll just have to install it ASAP to prevent rustin

Now if my clutch would only get here...

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

TeamJasonESi_TJun-23-03 09:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#889, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 5

>>The Plates
>>are hardened to a rockwell 52 std which causes the steel to
>>rust quickly
>
>
>So, he's saying that the plates will rust b/c they're
>hardened?

I think that means that they may rust if they're sitting out exposed all the time. The same thing happens to forged rods if they sit out a long time. These items need to be continuously lubricated to prevent rust. Hence, if the LSD is in oil or tranny fluid in this case, they will not rust.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

siueclipseJun-23-03 07:12 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
#892, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 6

honestly... that looks used to me.

James

2g99RSNCJun-24-03 12:41 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
894 posts,
#893, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 7

how does it slide in with the cable tie still around it. I put phantom grip with the race tunning package in mine and it would barely fit in and it had the side clips.

TeamMichael_97RSJun-24-03 06:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#894, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 8

Yeah I first thought that too, got a returned item.

I would package it with a light coating of oil to revent rust. The fact that it's hardened steel not just hardened is what promotes rust, steel likes to rust, unlike combination metals ie stainless steel.

I would like a little more reasoning behind the new ramp angles instead of the curvature around the pin. Seems cheaper to do, yes, but I don't know about any gain or loss for that matter. Just would like more info.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Una Salus Victus.

Mods List:
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

TeamJasonESi_TJun-24-03 09:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#895, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 8

>how does it slide in with the cable tie still around it. I
>put phantom grip with the race tunning package in mine and it
>would barely fit in and it had the side clips.

My Newskool LSD was the same way.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

JustOneJun-24-03 09:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#899, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 10

That part is just wrong and that is some weak ass engineering.

mkerleyJun-25-03 12:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#901, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 11

I agree ^^

I also thought it was pretty pathetic looking for $150. Not that I'll ever see it, but it should still be easy to make it look 10x better very cheaply.

Comparably (phantom grip),it seems like a great deal, but I guess you get what you pay for...

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-25-03 01:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#902, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 12

On a side note / thread hijack, the RetroFit Limited Slip unit i have been preaching about is ready and in production. Contact limitedslip@hotmail.com (Carlton McCrary) for more info, or PM me for his phone number.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

TeamMichael_97RSJun-26-03 04:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#904, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 13

Hey Dino, post some info Brother.

I was going to get the New Skool down the road a little, but I'm not impressed with this recent round of pictures and descriptions. So if this unit is going to be comparably priced and appear to be a better part (I don't like the angles instead of half circle), I'll be sliding my business that way when I'm ready.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Una Salus Victus.

Mods List:
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-26-03 05:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#905, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 14

Contact Carlton for final info.

I can tell you this: When i killed my 3.94 trans, i sent metal all through the diff. Carl couldn't even re-use the diff case i galled it so bad.. but the damn LSD held and worked just fine. very rugged unit

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Teamner947Jun-26-03 11:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#907, "RE: How did your New Skool SID look? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 2
Jun-26-03 11:59 AM by ner947

i got mine in the mail today. it looks just like the beat-up one up top, but mine isn't rusty...yet

mine is also made out of aluminum that looks like it's seen better days. nicks, scratches, and there's a corner that looks like there's a chunk taken out. maybe the UPS guy took it out of the box and ran over it with his truck. who knows.

if i had the dimensions and the spring constants of the thing i could have made it for a lot less than $160. i bet it would look a lot better too.

needless to say, i'm not very impressed. for $160 i'd imagine i'd get a much better hunk of aluminum with 4 springs inbetween.

edit: but hey, who gives a crap about how it looks. hopefully, i'll never see it after i put it in. as long as it does what it's suppose to (improve traction noticibly) and it doesn't fall apart, i'll be happy.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #867 Previous topic | Next topic