Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8042
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse" Previous topic | Next topic
kballard81Jul-17-09 09:16 AM
Member since Jul 07th 2008
104 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8042, "Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse"

I can put it in 1st, drive down the road and then try and put it in second and all it does is the shifter will go all the way down to where 2nd gear is and then spring back up cause its still in first.....4th does the same thing......i cant even get it in reverse....its like it gets stuck in 1st, 3rd, and 5th and i cant get it out.....any ideas?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse, 420agreenvilleSC, Jul-17-09 09:40 AM, #1
RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse, adamzty, Jul-17-09 10:49 AM, #2
RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse, Moderatorteklein, Jul-17-09 11:02 AM, #3
RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse, Babbz413, Jul-17-09 02:13 PM, #4
RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse, freelancefool, Jul-17-09 04:04 PM, #5
RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jul-17-09 06:40 PM, #6
      RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse, RoninEclipse2G, Jul-18-09 08:48 AM, #7
           RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse, Mattienorton, Dec-13-09 09:22 PM, #8

420agreenvilleSCJul-17-09 09:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8043, "RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse"
In response to Reply # 0

yikes is my idea. most likely youll have to pull it.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

adamztyJul-17-09 10:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#8044, "RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by kballard81
I can put it in 1st, drive down the road and then try and put it in second and all it does is the shifter will go all the way down to where 2nd gear is and then spring back up cause its still in first.....4th does the same thing......i cant even get it in reverse....its like it gets stuck in 1st, 3rd, and 5th and i cant get it out.....any ideas?

Look at the bushings in the end of the cables where the attach to the tranny under the battery. Just make sure they are there and not destroyed. If they are fucked up, you can replace them with skateboard bearings.

ModeratortekleinJul-17-09 11:02 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#8045, "RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by adamzty
Originally posted by kballard81 I can put it in 1st, drive down the road and then try and put it in second and all it does is the shifter will go all the way down to where 2nd gear is and then spring back up cause its still in first.....4th does the same thing......i cant even get it in reverse....its like it gets stuck in 1st, 3rd, and 5th and i cant get it out.....any ideas?
Look at the bushings in the end of the cables where the attach to the tranny under the battery. Just make sure they are there and not destroyed. If they are fucked up, you can replace them with skateboard bearings.

+1 Tyler.

My Neon (first one, long time ago) did this.

Check bushings on the shifter side as well

Babbz413Jul-17-09 02:13 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#8046, "RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse"
In response to Reply # 2

yeah my car did this exact thing. i was forcing it so much i busted my cables. theres 2 levers on top of the tranny. one shifts the shifter to the right and left ( ex. 1st over to 3rd) while the other lever shifts from forward to back ( ex. 1st down to 2nd) your one that shifts to the lower gears (2nd 4th and R) has a bad bushing on it. pull out that battery and look at it. i ended up having to get some new cables from ronineclipse.

freelancefoolJul-17-09 04:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#8047, "RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by kballard81

I vote that a c-clip that holds the shifter cable in place has come loose. It feels mushy because there is now slack in the cable. My car has done that on me before once.

My Blog

ModeratorbullettdsmJul-17-09 06:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#8048, "RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse"
In response to Reply # 5

Check C-clips.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

RoninEclipse2GJul-18-09 08:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#8051, "RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse"
In response to Reply # 6

Like everyone else has said, check the C-clips that hold the shift cables in place as well as the bushings at the shift arms. If either of those are damaged/missing it will cause the issues you're having. Another thing to check is that your cables haven't bent

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

MattienortonDec-13-09 09:22 PM
Member since Dec 12th 2009
31 posts,
#8361, "RE: Mushy when trying to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse"
In response to Reply # 7

Learned a few new things, will be checking on everything tomorrow, maybe i 4got to install a pin for mine.. my 3rd is feeling very mushy, hope it isn't the tranny going out again. I just replaced it!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8042 Previous topic | Next topic