Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7838
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rough Transmission" Previous topic | Next topic
FunkDoctaMay-16-09 09:54 PM
Member since Apr 09th 2009
37 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7838, "Rough Transmission"

Well whats up guys Im having problems with my tranny and its pretty annoying. It all started when I changed both left and right axles and a lot of transaxle fluid leaked out. At first the car drove normal than out of no where my odd numbered gears were hard to get into. I literally had to jam it in which wasnt too bad until this morning on my way to work all my gears started acting up. I just finished making a left turn and downshifted into 2nd gear to slow down and notice my gear box felt all loose and rough. Whenever I switch gears there is little effort neede and feels rough like a lot of clicks. The car still drives normal just feels weird like there is no lubrication.

And now for my question, do you think I need to replace the fluid or could it be any other weird "fuck you for buying a dsm" problem? I stopped by walmart to buy some mopar atf+4 transaxle fluid but it seems they dont carry it anymore. By this time the parts center at the stealership was closed but I saw all the bottles for the nvt350 transmission just out of my reach. They are not open on Sunday so where else can I get fluid for my nvt350 that will not kill the synchros?

Thanks for listening to my troublesome dsm adventures.....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Rough Transmission, 420agreenvilleSC, May-17-09 11:14 AM, #1
RE: Rough Transmission, Tuxdreamerx, May-17-09 02:28 PM, #2
      RE: Rough Transmission, FunkDocta, May-17-09 06:05 PM, #3
           RE: Rough Transmission, 420agreenvilleSC, May-17-09 07:58 PM, #4
           RE: Rough Transmission, Tuxdreamerx, May-17-09 11:09 PM, #5
                RE: Rough Transmission, Moderatorbullettdsm, May-18-09 01:25 PM, #6
                     RE: Rough Transmission, Tuxdreamerx, May-18-09 05:28 PM, #7
                          RE: Rough Transmission, RoninEclipse2G, May-18-09 05:33 PM, #8
                          RE: Rough Transmission, FunkDocta, May-18-09 06:35 PM, #9
                               RE: Rough Transmission, 420agreenvilleSC, May-18-09 07:54 PM, #10
                                    RE: Rough Transmission, FunkDocta, May-18-09 08:22 PM, #11
                                         RE: Rough Transmission, Tuxdreamerx, May-18-09 08:30 PM, #12
                                              RE: Rough Transmission, 420agreenvilleSC, May-18-09 08:43 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Rough Transmission, FunkDocta, May-18-09 09:46 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Rough Transmission, FunkDocta, May-19-09 04:29 PM, #15
                                                             RE: Rough Transmission, FunkDocta, May-19-09 06:14 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: Rough Transmission, Tuxdreamerx, May-19-09 10:57 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: Rough Transmission, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, May-20-09 07:53 AM, #18
                                                                       RE: Rough Transmission, adamzty, May-20-09 08:59 AM, #19
                                                                            RE: Rough Transmission, Tuxdreamerx, May-20-09 11:18 AM, #20
                                                                            RE: Rough Transmission, RoninEclipse2G, May-20-09 06:25 PM, #21
                                                                                 RE: Rough Transmission, FunkDocta, May-20-09 07:15 PM, #22
                                                                  RE: Rough Transmission, FunkDocta, May-20-09 09:00 PM, #23
                                                                       RE: Rough Transmission, Tuxdreamerx, May-20-09 10:28 PM, #24
                                                                            RE: Rough Transmission, FunkDocta, May-21-09 06:43 AM, #25
                                                                            RE: Rough Transmission, FunkDocta, May-26-09 07:26 AM, #26
                          RE: Rough Transmission, Mattienorton, Dec-13-09 09:29 PM, #27

420agreenvilleSCMay-17-09 11:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7841, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=212

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TuxdreamerxMay-17-09 02:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#7842, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 1

Did you refill the transmission after all that leaked out?

FunkDoctaMay-17-09 06:05 PM
37 posts,
#7843, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 2

The first axle I had a shop replace forme which I garauntee you they most likely they did not but the second axle I let my school's auto class change it while I helped. We didnt expect a lot of fluid to leak out so I didnt bring any fluid with me. It has only been one week since the scond axle change so most likely it needs to be drained and refilled. As for the brand I am kinda skeptic on using non dealer fluid but just need some reassurance from others on what to use.

420agreenvilleSCMay-17-09 07:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#7844, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 3

if you don't want to use amsoil, go for the mopar 4874464. They're the exact same other than amsoil's increased kinamatic viscosity, flash point, foam stability, etc.

If you google 4874464, it an exact cross over to the link I posted before. Do whatever you want. Put water in it for all I care.

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

TuxdreamerxMay-17-09 11:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#7845, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by FunkDocta
The first axle I had a shop replace forme which I garauntee you they most likely they did not but the second axle I let my school's auto class change it while I helped. We didnt expect a lot of fluid to leak out so I didnt bring any fluid with me. It has only been one week since the scond axle change so most likely it needs to be drained and refilled. As for the brand I am kinda skeptic on using non dealer fluid but just need some reassurance from others on what to use.

Either will work. I used dealer fluid just because I didnt know about the other. Your tranny is most likely going to continue having problems since you ran it on low fluid.

ModeratorbullettdsmMay-18-09 01:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#7848, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx
Either will work. I used dealer fluid just because I didnt know about the other. Your tranny is most likely going to continue having problems since you ran it on low fluid.

True dat. I run Amsoil in my vehicles.

In addition to the fluid, check and see if either of your horseshoe clips fell off. They are the clips that hold the shifter cables to the tranny. Could be just coincidence that they came off when your fluid was low.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

TuxdreamerxMay-18-09 05:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#7849, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx Either will work. I used dealer fluid just because I didnt know about the other. Your tranny is most likely going to continue having problems since you ran it on low fluid.
True dat. I run Amsoil in my vehicles. In addition to the fluid, check and see if either of your horseshoe clips fell off. They are the clips that hold the shifter cables to the tranny. Could be just coincidence that they came off when your fluid was low.

Haha I forgot about that I have lost those damn clips 3 times since I got my car running last year. I dunno why they fall off so easily. Then again my car rides pretty rough.

RoninEclipse2GMay-18-09 05:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#7850, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 7

put a little blue loctite on the clips before slipping them into place. They won't go anywhere.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

FunkDoctaMay-18-09 06:35 PM
37 posts,
#7851, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 8

Well I ended up paying a little visit to my local chrysler dealership only to get told that they would not recommend using Mopar ATF+4 fluid and that I should head on down to the mitsu dealer and get fluid from there WTF!!! SO i just bit the bullet and went to my local mitsu dealership and they had manual transmission fluid for the nvt350 which I was pretty surprised they had. Cost $15 a fucking quart but I really had no choice at the time need my car running now. After draining out the oild fluid and filling it back up I quickly start the car only to find out reverse doesn't work yay. My 2nd and 4th gears also work when they feel like it so Im kinda stumped and frustrated right now. But hey at least it shifts smoothly..........

So almighty 2gnt gods why the fuck am I cursed with problem after problem? Im thinking worst case scenario it might be the synchros finally taking a dump on me. What do you guys think? The shifter goes into place through all the 3 bad gears just does not hook on like the other do.

420agreenvilleSCMay-18-09 07:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#7852, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by FunkDocta
why the fuck am I cursed with problem after problem?

you're not cursed, its a 2gnt, thats the way it goes. It's normal for 2gnt's to bitch and moan. some bitch and moan more than others. They're money hungry

FunkDoctaMay-18-09 08:22 PM
37 posts,
#7853, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 10

Does any one have a guide with pictures on a complete installation of a nvt350 transmission? I just need to see if anything disconnected while driving.

TuxdreamerxMay-18-09 08:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#7854, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 11

Your linkage would be the only thing that could've come loose that would cause that problem. Check your linkage if thats fine and the clips are there you must move on to consider replacing your tranny.

420agreenvilleSCMay-18-09 08:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#7855, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 12

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neonfsm/2000/EPL_21.pdf start reading funky doctor

FunkDoctaMay-18-09 09:46 PM
37 posts,
#7856, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neonfsm/2000/EPL_21.pdf start reading funky doctor

156 pages of massive confusion lol. Thanks ill try to take a look at the shift cables and see if everything is in place. Car goes into 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear no problem. 4th gear goes in sometimes but 2nd and reverse dont even hear a clack that told me I was in gear like before

FunkDoctaMay-19-09 04:29 PM
37 posts,
#7857, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 14

Just a quick update trying to get some answers sorry if I'm asking too much don't know a thing when it comes to transmissions. Still wont reverse at all but 2nd and 4th work sometimes. Also the car can go into 2nd, 4th, and reverse with out even holding down the clutch which is pretty odd. Still feels very loose like nothing is holding it into gear but stays in so any ideas from somebody who has experienced this problem?

FunkDoctaMay-19-09 06:14 PM
37 posts,
#7858, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 15

Oh yea just found out the linkage is fucked up and loose on the bottom gears. If I pull the linkage manually by hand into 2nd, 3rd, or reverse gears and start up the car they work flawlessly but when I am in the car and shift gears from in there they don't engage properly and all I end up doing is revving the engine.

Here is a pic when I put it into 4th gear from inside the car using the shifter.

And here is a pic when I put it into 4th gear by messing with the linkage from outside the car.

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!! Same goes for 2nd and reverse. So 2gnt any write ups on how to fix this, I really don't want to mess it up anymore than it is right now.

TuxdreamerxMay-19-09 10:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#7859, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 16

Are they BENT? They look like they are hooked up fine your horseshoe clips are there. Other than the fact that they look bent it looks fine but it could just be the angle of the pics. Good job on those pictures by the way.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-20-09 07:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#7860, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 17

The bushings are probably shot. Remove the metal pin holding the washer down and examine the bushing. if it's all fuckered up, you can replace them with "windshield wiper motor mount bushings" from the "HELP!" section of your local autoparts store - remove the metal sleeve in the wiper motor bushing and cut the rubber you have left in half. it'll pop right into the eyelet on the shifter cable.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

adamztyMay-20-09 08:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#7861, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 18

You can also use skateboard bearings for bushings. They fit perfectly.

TuxdreamerxMay-20-09 11:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#7862, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by adamzty

Really? My bushings are a little worn it shifts decent but could be better I might just do that lol.

RoninEclipse2GMay-20-09 06:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#7866, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by adamzty

best mod next to the symborski shift kit.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

FunkDoctaMay-20-09 07:15 PM
37 posts,
#7868, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 21

Well just finished checking and Im stumped guys. The bushings and bearings are fine but my horseshoe clip is bent and cracked at the top. I hammered it back into shape to see if it would hold and it did but I noticed that the shifter cable is bent at an almost 90 degree angle. Is this normal? When ever I try to shift into a bottom gear it does not even push the link forward but instead the metal braided cable part bends downwards moving the link no where. I need help fast so if someone can take a picture of their cables that would be really great.

FunkDoctaMay-20-09 09:00 PM
37 posts,
#7869, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 16

So here are some more pics which shows the rubber piece broken off revealing the cable that is bent. My theory is the horseshoe clip bent adn came loose causing the cable to work in an awkward manner leading it to break out of the rubber piece and eventually bending.

TuxdreamerxMay-20-09 10:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#7872, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 23

I would get another cable...

FunkDoctaMay-21-09 06:43 AM
37 posts,
#7873, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 24

Today I'm going to try to make it to the junkyard and take one off a neon since there is never an eclipse with parts left when ever I go. Just need to know how to take it out since the cable goes all the way through the firewall into the shifter.

FunkDoctaMay-26-09 07:26 AM
37 posts,
#7884, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 24

Well its been a while but I ended pulling of some shifter cables off of a 1997 RS at the junkyard and installed them a couple of days ago and now its back to normal. Thanks for all the help guys and now I know who to turn to for 2gnt related problems.

MattienortonDec-13-09 09:29 PM
Member since Dec 12th 2009
31 posts,
#8365, "RE: Rough Transmission"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx
Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx Either will work. I used dealer fluid just because I didnt know about the other. Your tranny is most likely going to continue having problems since you ran it on low fluid.
True dat. I run Amsoil in my vehicles. In addition to the fluid, check and see if either of your horseshoe clips fell off. They are the clips that hold the shifter cables to the tranny. Could be just coincidence that they came off when your fluid was low.
Haha I forgot about that I have lost those damn clips 3 times since I got my car running last year. I dunno why they fall off so easily. Then again my car rides pretty rough.

Forget to install these the first swap i did.. man i felt like an idiot, i was stumped for about 2 months.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7838 Previous topic | Next topic