Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6669
View in linear mode

Subject: "neon tranny" Previous topic | Next topic
randyOct-08-02 01:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
662 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6669, "neon tranny"

Does it require mods to fit onto my rs? Also, what is the advantage/disadavantage of the smaller gear from the sohc neon compared to our stock<

96 RST: Star Performance stag
05 scion xb: bolt ons
92 nissan 240sx
07 toyota sienna

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: neon tranny, Erik, Oct-08-02 01:38 PM, #1
RE: neon tranny, optimuspeterson, Oct-08-02 02:07 PM, #2
      RE: neon tranny, MrSlick, Oct-08-02 09:27 PM, #3
           RE: neon tranny, Fast420A, Oct-09-02 02:50 AM, #4
           RE: neon tranny, RoboTechDSM, Oct-09-02 04:25 AM, #5
                RE: neon tranny, Fast420A, Oct-09-02 04:43 AM, #6
           RE: neon tranny, pzp107, Sep-24-07 04:17 PM, #7
           RE: neon tranny, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-24-07 04:23 PM, #8
                RE: neon tranny, Locke_db, Sep-24-07 07:35 PM, #9
                     RE: neon tranny, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-24-07 11:23 PM, #10
                          RE: neon tranny, Locke_db, Sep-25-07 01:25 AM, #11
                               RE: neon tranny, grain, Sep-30-07 03:18 PM, #12
           RE: neon tranny, dalesmitsu, Oct-02-07 09:18 PM, #13
                RE: neon tranny, Moderatorbullettdsm, Oct-03-07 11:33 AM, #14
RE: neon tranny, 1997avengerboy, Oct-21-07 02:23 PM, #15
RE: neon tranny, eclipse78952, Mar-24-08 04:28 AM, #16

ErikOct-08-02 01:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6670, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 0

Just a guess, but I think a bellhousing. You will have to check to make sure that the clutch and flywheel part #'s are the same. That's IF it will work.

Shit is all apart. Typical...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

optimuspetersonOct-08-02 02:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#6671, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 1

there isn't a flywheel. the clutch is the same but i don't think it will bolt right up. I believe it is the bellhousing that needs to be changed

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

MrSlickOct-08-02 09:27 PM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
1120 posts,
#6672, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 2

I just fitted a 98 Neon trany in my 99 Eclipse about 3 weeks ago....

Here's what was different:

Bellhousing - REquires you to fit your Eclipse bellhousing. Neon uses cable clutch, Eclipse Hydrolic. (Not all Neons use the cable though)

Tranny Mounts - Need to swap over the Eclipse tranny mounts.

Shift Levers - I found thta after installing the eclipse tranny mounts the one shift lever would not move the whole way. It has this big counterbalance on the back.... So I just got out the sawzall..... no more counterbalance.

That wasw about all the diff's. I do notice a diff in the ratios....
2nd and 3rd seems closer together... 4th seems the same, but 5th gear is way longer.... I would get 25MPH/1000RPM before, now I get 30MPH/1000RPM.

Let me know if you need any more info.

If anyone lives in PA or close, I have a supply of Neon trannys for $200......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

http://www.ms-custom.com

Fast420AOct-09-02 02:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#6673, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 3

The gearings are almost always the same EXCEPT 5th, what you probably have, MrSlick is a different final drive ratio. The eclipse has the 3.94 and some neons have 3.54 final drive. I am finishing my neon tranny swap in to the eclipse today. The bellhousing needs to be swapped, the motor mounts need to be swapped and the shifter arm does have the weight in a different place too. The wierd thing is, the 97 2gnt tranny had a weight in a different spot than the neon one but the other eclipse tranny (I think it was a 96) that was in the car after the original one went had no weight on it at all.

I also had to cut off the weight so the motor mount would go on. Dremel's and hacksaws work wonders.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - unknown
Project: Baby on the way

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

RoboTechDSMOct-09-02 04:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1402 posts,
#6674, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 4

Dropping a tranny and putting it back up using only hand tools and 4 pairs of arms sucks..................isn't that right Kyle

Kris
"Someday............I'll have traction problems!!!!"
Tampa, FL
Pinoy Turbo 2GNT

1999 HRC Turbo RS
Stage 2
Auto with BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fast420AOct-09-02 04:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#6675, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 5

Yes it does. I just need to get the new battery terminals and then it's road test time.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - unknown
Project: Baby on the way

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

pzp107Sep-24-07 04:17 PM
Member since Feb 27th 2006
42 posts,
#6676, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 3

is there a way i can buy a neon 5th gear to install in my eclipse tranny. I do not need an entire tranny, in fact I want to keep my ratios just want the taller 5th gear for fuel economy and top speed. Thanks and let me know.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-24-07 04:23 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#6677, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 7

nope. In fact the 5th gear only doesnt make much difference. I have one from a parts trans in my daily driver and its not that much different at all.

Locke_dbSep-24-07 07:35 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2006
89 posts,
#6679, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 8
Sep-24-07 07:36 PM by Locke_db

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
nope. In fact the 5th gear only doesnt make much difference. I have one from a parts trans in my daily driver and its not that much different at all.

At 65mph, he will be about 300rpm lower with the 0.72:1 5th gear, vs. the 0.81:1 5th gear, and 360rpm at 75mph.

There is a write-up on the tranny swap in the Wiki.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=287

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-24-07 11:23 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#6680, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 9

Yeah thanks genius I am fully aware of this. Who do you think Wrote the 3.55 writeup?

Locke_dbSep-25-07 01:25 AM
Member since Aug 25th 2006
89 posts,
#6681, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Yeah thanks genius I am fully aware of this. Who do you think Wrote the 3.55 writeup?

I mentioned the writeup for the OP. Sorry.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=287

grainSep-30-07 03:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#6689, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 11

there are lots of dirrerent things between the two tranny's. the diff ring gear is also different size.

dalesmitsuOct-02-07 09:18 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#6690, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by MrSlick
I just fitted a 98 Neon trany in my 99 Eclipse about 3 weeks ago.... Here's what was different: Bellhousing - REquires you to fit your Eclipse bellhousing. Neon uses cable clutch, Eclipse Hydrolic. (Not all Neons use the cable though) Tranny Mounts - Need to swap over the Eclipse tranny mounts. Shift Levers - I found thta after installing the eclipse tranny mounts the one shift lever would not move the whole way. It has this big counterbalance on the back.... So I just got out the sawzall..... no more counterbalance. That wasw about all the diff's. I do notice a diff in the ratios.... 2nd and 3rd seems closer together... 4th seems the same, but 5th gear is way longer.... I would get 25MPH/1000RPM before, now I get 30MPH/1000RPM. Let me know if you need any more info. If anyone lives in PA or close, I have a supply of Neon trannys for $200......

Really trannys for 200 neon 3.55 or 3.54

How close are you from to STUEBENVILLE Ohio,I live about 30 mins from there

ModeratorbullettdsmOct-03-07 11:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#6691, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Originally posted by MrSlick I have a supply of Neon trannys for $200......
Really trannys for 200 neon 3.55 or 3.54 How close are you from to STUEBENVILLE Ohio,I live about 30 mins from there

Um, while you are waiting for a reply, you may want to peruse this thread (look towards the end);

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=826&mesg_id=826&page=&topic_page=1

Sometimes things don't work out.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

1997avengerboyOct-21-07 02:23 PM
Member since Sep 30th 2007
6 posts,
#6711, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 0

im pretty sure it wont bolt up. bell housing

eclipse78952Mar-24-08 04:28 AM
Member since Mar 24th 2008
1 posts,
#7079, "RE: neon tranny"
In response to Reply # 15

so it sounds like the neon tranny will work. i have an A578 tranny from a 97 plymouth neon that im looking at going into a 95 gs. is that all i have to do swap the bell housing? and since i sold my old trans how much would one cost?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6669 Previous topic | Next topic