Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectneon tranny
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=6669
6669, neon tranny
Posted by randy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Does it require mods to fit onto my rs? Also, what is the advantage/disadavantage of the smaller gear from the sohc neon compared to our stock<
6670, RE: neon tranny
Posted by Erik, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just a guess, but I think a bellhousing. You will have to check to make sure that the clutch and flywheel part #'s are the same. That's IF it will work.
6671, RE: neon tranny
Posted by optimuspeterson, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
there isn't a flywheel. the clutch is the same but i don't think it will bolt right up. I believe it is the bellhousing that needs to be changed
6672, RE: neon tranny
Posted by MrSlick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just fitted a 98 Neon trany in my 99 Eclipse about 3 weeks ago....

Here's what was different:

Bellhousing - REquires you to fit your Eclipse bellhousing. Neon uses cable clutch, Eclipse Hydrolic. (Not all Neons use the cable though)

Tranny Mounts - Need to swap over the Eclipse tranny mounts.

Shift Levers - I found thta after installing the eclipse tranny mounts the one shift lever would not move the whole way. It has this big counterbalance on the back.... So I just got out the sawzall..... no more counterbalance.

That wasw about all the diff's. I do notice a diff in the ratios....
2nd and 3rd seems closer together... 4th seems the same, but 5th gear is way longer.... I would get 25MPH/1000RPM before, now I get 30MPH/1000RPM.

Let me know if you need any more info.

If anyone lives in PA or close, I have a supply of Neon trannys for $200...... :-)
6673, RE: neon tranny
Posted by Fast420A, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The gearings are almost always the same EXCEPT 5th, what you probably have, MrSlick is a different final drive ratio. The eclipse has the 3.94 and some neons have 3.54 final drive. I am finishing my neon tranny swap in to the eclipse today. The bellhousing needs to be swapped, the motor mounts need to be swapped and the shifter arm does have the weight in a different place too. The wierd thing is, the 97 2gnt tranny had a weight in a different spot than the neon one but the other eclipse tranny (I think it was a 96) that was in the car after the original one went had no weight on it at all.

I also had to cut off the weight so the motor mount would go on. Dremel's and hacksaws work wonders.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - unknown
Project: Baby on the way

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

6674, RE: neon tranny
Posted by RoboTechDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Dropping a tranny and putting it back up using only hand tools and 4 pairs of arms sucks..................isn't that right Kyle ;)
6675, RE: neon tranny
Posted by Fast420A, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes it does. I just need to get the new battery terminals and then it's road test time.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - unknown
Project: Baby on the way

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

6676, RE: neon tranny
Posted by pzp107, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
is there a way i can buy a neon 5th gear to install in my eclipse tranny. I do not need an entire tranny, in fact I want to keep my ratios just want the taller 5th gear for fuel economy and top speed. Thanks and let me know.
6677, RE: neon tranny
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
nope. In fact the 5th gear only doesnt make much difference. I have one from a parts trans in my daily driver and its not that much different at all.

6679, RE: neon tranny
Posted by Locke_db, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
nope. In fact the 5th gear only doesnt make much difference. I have one from a parts trans in my daily driver and its not that much different at all.

At 65mph, he will be about 300rpm lower with the 0.72:1 5th gear, vs. the 0.81:1 5th gear, and 360rpm at 75mph.

There is a write-up on the tranny swap in the Wiki.
6680, RE: neon tranny
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah thanks genius I am fully aware of this. Who do you think Wrote the 3.55 writeup?
6681, RE: neon tranny
Posted by Locke_db, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Yeah thanks genius I am fully aware of this. Who do you think Wrote the 3.55 writeup?

I mentioned the writeup for the OP. Sorry.
6689, RE: neon tranny
Posted by grain, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
there are lots of dirrerent things between the two tranny's. the diff ring gear is also different size.
6690, RE: neon tranny
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by MrSlick
I just fitted a 98 Neon trany in my 99 Eclipse about 3 weeks ago.... Here's what was different: Bellhousing - REquires you to fit your Eclipse bellhousing. Neon uses cable clutch, Eclipse Hydrolic. (Not all Neons use the cable though) Tranny Mounts - Need to swap over the Eclipse tranny mounts. Shift Levers - I found thta after installing the eclipse tranny mounts the one shift lever would not move the whole way. It has this big counterbalance on the back.... So I just got out the sawzall..... no more counterbalance. That wasw about all the diff's. I do notice a diff in the ratios.... 2nd and 3rd seems closer together... 4th seems the same, but 5th gear is way longer.... I would get 25MPH/1000RPM before, now I get 30MPH/1000RPM. Let me know if you need any more info. If anyone lives in PA or close, I have a supply of Neon trannys for $200...... :-)

Really trannys for 200 neon 3.55 or 3.54

How close are you from to STUEBENVILLE Ohio,I live about 30 mins from there

6691, RE: neon tranny
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Originally posted by MrSlick I have a supply of Neon trannys for $200...... :-)
Really trannys for 200 neon 3.55 or 3.54 How close are you from to STUEBENVILLE Ohio,I live about 30 mins from there

Um, while you are waiting for a reply, you may want to peruse this thread (look towards the end);

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=826&mesg_id=826&page=&topic_page=1

Sometimes things don't work out.
6711, RE: neon tranny
Posted by 1997avengerboy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
im pretty sure it wont bolt up. bell housing
7079, RE: neon tranny
Posted by eclipse78952, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
so it sounds like the neon tranny will work. i have an A578 tranny from a 97 plymouth neon that im looking at going into a 95 gs. is that all i have to do swap the bell housing? and since i sold my old trans how much would one cost?
I generated this page in 0.011494874954224 seconds, executing 7 queries.