Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #3906
View in linear mode

Subject: "Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny" Previous topic | Next topic
discount_tyr420aDec-22-05 07:29 PM
Member since Jul 28th 2002
237 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3906, "Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny"

good news everyone. i found a way for us 95 oddballs to use a 96 and up tranny without a lot of rewiring. for those that didn't know... 95's have a dual sensor setup on the right front corner(not the speed sensors) and the 96+ have a single sensor. This is very experimental still cuz i've only had it like this for about 200 miles. here it is tho.. i have a switched wire hooked up the the nuetral switch wire (black with yellow stripe i believe) to connect it to a ground. this is what allows it to start. then i have the old two sensors plugged in still and just free floppin and nothing is connected to the single plug on the tranny. the reason i have a switch on the nuetral wire is if you try and drive with it, it with kick you right out of gear and only let you stay in gear till about 5-10mph. It works and its kinda joinkity... but it works and works really good, no slipping of gears, smooth shifts, and same feel as before.

1995 RS AT w/196,000 mile
KYB AGX w/Eibach Sportline($485.0 )
10.3mm OBX wires
NGK Plugs
18" Konig Elan
225/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport
Toucan Muffler w/2.5" catback
OBX Header w/ hollowed kitty
Port/Polished Head w/ SS Valves

to come...
lambo doors possibly

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny, discount_tyr420a, Jan-03-06 06:25 AM, #1
RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny, discount_tyr420a, Jan-19-06 08:41 AM, #2
RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny, Keith2172, Jan-24-06 01:34 PM, #3
      RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny, alain95i4, Jan-25-06 04:05 PM, #4
      RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny, discount_tyr420a, Feb-04-06 06:09 AM, #5
RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny, skat3h3ll, Sep-06-09 12:04 AM, #6
RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny, 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-06-09 02:24 PM, #7
      RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny, skat3h3ll, Sep-06-09 07:06 PM, #8

discount_tyr420aJan-03-06 06:25 AM
237 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3913, "RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny"
In response to Reply # 0

it's been bout three weeks now since i did this, and there's absolutely no probs still... so if anyone thinks that i might still have a prob down the road let me know... thanx

10.3mm OBX wires
NGK Plugs
18" Konig Elan

to come...
lambo doors possibly

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

discount_tyr420aJan-19-06 08:41 AM
237 posts,
#3935, "RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny"
In response to Reply # 0

WEll... i notice no one really cares about this one. but it's been 1,100 miles now and works strong as ever. so it works, and just to let the ppl who said it couldn't be done know... it works very well.

10.3mm OBX wires
NGK Plugs
18" Konig Elan

to come...
lambo doors possibly

Keith2172Jan-24-06 01:34 PM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#3943, "RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny"
In response to Reply # 2

Nice to have updates, good job on being resourceful and making something work. A few questions, do you have ABS and if so, have you had any problems with it now that you don't have a speed sensor? And what is 'jockity' LOL!

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

alain95i4Jan-25-06 04:05 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#3946, "RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny"
In response to Reply # 3

ok you suffered long enought here's my write up about this

Originally posted by Alain95i4 on the ASOG board november 20 2005

as many of you already know we are dealing with 3 versions of the same basic tranny with our cars
1995 was the first year of the avenger/sebring and also the last year that chrysler used the first version of the A604
that version had 2 separate switchs on the side of the tranny
one was called the park/neutral position the other was called transmission range

1996 was the introduction of the version 2 of the a604 with a new TCM and a new switch module on top of the tranny
that module replaced the 2 previous switchs plus the backup light relay and added the introduction of a thermal sensor
that version of the tranny was in production up to 1998

1999 was the introduction of another connector but the pinout was the same as the 96-98 the shape was different, square with larger flat pins instead of slim with round pins like 96-98

it's possible to swap a 96 + transmission within a 95 car
I'm currently running with success a 2003 Pt Cruiser Turbo a604 with my swapped i4 2.4 engine, my 1995 tcm is controlling the tranny
however Sandman also tried it with his 1995 v6 and had numerous problems

here's how I did my rewiring

there are 2 connectors
1 is white 1 is black
I don't have my old tranny near me so I don't remember which one is which
the way those switchs work inside is like 2 separate switch controlled at the same time there are 3 wires per switch when the switch is active the signal from wire 1 is send to wire 3 while the signal on wire 2 is going to ground

on the white conector wire 1 and 3 are used to drive the signal to activate the backup light relay we don't need the relay anymore you will leave those 2 wire unconnected !

on the black connector now no single position of the new 10 pin connector has the same logic table has the old switch I found out that we could just connect them together and the TCM will be happy like this , when it will get a signal from the starting key to look if the car is in park/neutral position it will work

wire 2 of the white connector goes to T3 sense which is pin 8
wire 2 of the black connector goes to T41 sense which is pin 10

on the backup light relay , which is the fourth relay on the firewall, most one on the right, you will have 3 red wires
2 are tied to the same pins those wires are the one sending the 12v to the backup light 1 is alone that wire is the incoming 12V
you will need to cut those 3 wires and extend them to the 10 pin connector
you could use a single wire connected to the 2 backup light wires there's no need to pulled 3 wires there

it's not showing on my picture of the connector but pin 1 and 6 are for the backup light when the tranny is in reverse that connection is closed
you will connect the 2 wires from the relay to those 2 pins
by doing so you are eliminating the need of the backup relay and you car will have backup light working like a 96-+

that's about it
I drove 3000 miles so far wired like this not a single problem yet

http://asog.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,30/topic,116.0
go here for my original post and you will also have the pinout of the 10 pins connector

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

discount_tyr420aFeb-04-06 06:09 AM
237 posts,
#3952, "RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny"
In response to Reply # 3

actually i don't have abs (kinda like that i don't) so i dont know about any complications with that. but 'joinkity' is just something meaning kinda odd or 'backyard' way of doin it.

...and alain, why do you insist on poppin up and being a prick. this site is here for ppl that have the knowledge to share and ppl that want to know the knowledge. so poor taste on your account.

10.3mm OBX wires
NGK Plugs
18" Konig Elan

to come...
lambo doors possibly

skat3h3llSep-06-09 12:04 AM
Member since Sep 05th 2009
4 posts,
#4586, "RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny"
In response to Reply # 0
Sep-06-09 12:13 AM by skat3h3ll

care to explain this a little bit better. i am trying to do the exact same thing and i am a little bit confused on what you did.

pretty much i am a very visual person. i dont understand what wires you are talking about without pictures. maybe my setup is a bit different?

THANKS!

420agreenvilleSCSep-06-09 02:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#4588, "RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny"
In response to Reply # 6

i'm sure you realize you're bumping 4yr old threads.... right?

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

skat3h3llSep-06-09 07:06 PM
Member since Sep 05th 2009
4 posts,
#4589, "RE: Late Breaking News... 95's can use a 96+ auto tranny"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
i'm sure you realize you're bumping 4yr old threads.... right?

oh yeah i know im bumping old ass threads... see i cant find any info on this. and so far the only info i am finding is hella old! so maybe somebody can still help me?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #3906 Previous topic | Next topic