Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1976
View in linear mode

Subject: "Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorCorbinSep-29-03 03:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1976, "Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"

So, it looks like the GT Cruiser (2.4L turbo, 220 hp, 245 lb-ft) is available with an automatic/auto-stick. I wonder if this is an A604 variant tranny. I suppose that it is pretty beefy to be mated to the 2.4L turbo HO engine. I wonder if we could steal some parts off of it to make our A604 more reliable and hold more power. Perhaps it will have an LSD option at some point that we could buy. Anyone know details?

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, soulcontroller, Sep-24-03 12:30 PM, #1
RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, Teamdougie2, Sep-24-03 07:44 PM, #2
RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, soulcontroller, Sep-24-03 08:00 PM, #3
      RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, Chamuko, Sep-24-03 08:29 PM, #4
      RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, Teamdougie2, Sep-24-03 09:25 PM, #5
           RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, ModeratorCorbin, Sep-25-03 02:39 AM, #6
                RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, soulcontroller, Sep-25-03 05:20 AM, #7
                     RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, mcgyvr, Sep-28-03 12:04 PM, #8
                          RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, Dirty, Sep-28-03 01:03 PM, #9
                               RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, python6586, Sep-28-03 01:59 PM, #10
                                    RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, WIKKI, Sep-28-03 04:11 PM, #11
                                         RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, ModeratorCorbin, Sep-29-03 04:19 AM, #12
                                              RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, WIKKI, Sep-29-03 07:10 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, silvreclipsers, Sep-30-03 06:04 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, silvreclipsers, Sep-30-03 06:06 AM, #15
                                                             RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, Franklindsm, Sep-30-03 07:41 AM, #16
                                                                  RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, mcgyvr, Oct-03-03 12:57 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, ModeratorCorbin, Oct-06-03 02:09 AM, #18
                                                                            RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, Franklindsm, Oct-06-03 05:07 AM, #19
                                                                                 RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, mcgyvr, Oct-06-03 01:07 PM, #20
                                                                                      RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, ModeratorCorbin, Oct-07-03 01:44 AM, #21
                                                                                           RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, DSMkarz, Oct-07-03 04:27 PM, #22
                                                                                                RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?, Chamuko, Oct-09-03 08:02 PM, #23

soulcontrollerSep-24-03 12:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1979, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont have details, but that would be sweet! ill see what i can find...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamdougie2Sep-24-03 07:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#1982, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 0

>So, it looks like the GT Cruiser (2.4L turbo, 220 hp, 245
>lb-ft) is available with an automatic/auto-stick. I wonder if
>this is an A604 variant tranny. I suppose that it is pretty
>beefy to be mated to the 2.4L turbo HO engine. I wonder if we
>could steal some parts off of it to make our A604 more
>reliable and hold more power.

What are your main concerns with our specific production of the A604? Everything is readily available to "make our A604 more reliable and hold more power." Simply a cooler and revision kit are enough to make it more reliable. We have the Transgo Shiftkit, Level-10 Valvebody, High-stall Torque Converters, many LSDs, and little things like the lockup kill switch to help us increase performance... and I'm still working on increasing our rev-limiter.

SO FAR it's held everything I've thrown at it.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

soulcontrollerSep-24-03 08:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#1983, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-24-03 08:01 PM by soulcontroller

level 10 valve body? what are the gains/results of it? the shift kit modifies the valve body, springs, seals, shifts... is the level 10 similar but pre-assembled?

with your aformentioned mods doug, my tranny has held up to all my abuse... so far hehe.

ChamukoSep-24-03 08:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#1985, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 3

well I know a guy that works for chrysler so ill ask him to give me some info.

Not a bad idea and i would guess that it maybe the same of not similar tranny. Wasnt there a post about ours being ready for the auto shift options?

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Teamdougie2Sep-24-03 09:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#1986, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 3

Hey Matt- have you put it those 400cc injectors and upped the boost yet? What else have you done to the tranny since I talked to you last? I keep telling everyone on here that we have a great auto tranny if you put about 300 dollars into it you're good for up to 400wHP or so... but nobody seems to understand that.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

ModeratorCorbinSep-25-03 02:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#1987, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 5

As far as I know, there is no legit LSD for our tranny (I don't count the PG or copies). I was figuring that there might be some parts we could steal off of the new setup. If it is the A604, then it is probably the latest itteration and set up to handle decent power.

But Doug, are you saying that you think our tranny could hold 400 hp with $300? Like a shift kit, cooler, and a couple random parts. I was under the impression that I would have to buy a spare tranny and get it completely rebuilt with high performance clutches, updated solenoids, clips, etc for it to hold that power. I am dying to swap in a new engine and up the boost, but if I have to add a spare tranny and full performance rebuild to the list, that pushes my plans back further.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

soulcontrollerSep-25-03 05:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#1988, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sep-25-03 05:21 AM by soulcontroller

well, i have just the normal stuff done. shift kit, cooler, drive gear swap, lockup switch, have an in-line filter sittin in my room, and i need to get a temp gauge.

ive got my spare block sittin in my garage along with my 3000 stall tq converter, still waitin on a few things to be able to assemble everything. and jack up the boost.

my tranny has taken a ton of abuse, pretty much the only thing i dont do is neutral drop. a rebuild with kevlar clutches would be nice, but so far everything is holding up fine.

so until the day i MUST get kevlar clutches and a full race built tranny, ours seems to be fine. especially if youre constantly throwing 275 hp through it...

mcgyvrSep-28-03 12:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2006, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 7

quaife makes an lsd for our diff
and kevlar master rebuild kit is like 300 bucks. that a tranny cooler and you can run alot of power through the a604

I think me and dougie are the only ones who love the a604

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

DirtySep-28-03 01:03 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#2007, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 8

Fuck that, I love mine too! I would really like to have the auto-stick option though.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

python6586Sep-28-03 01:59 PM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
656 posts,
#2008, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 9

for a while now i have been thinkin bout 5 speed swap and have like 600 saved up and i think im just gonna either go for a used stage 1 or build up the trans. how much shit could i get wit 600, i know the gears are like 110, shift kit 20, cooler 35, i got remote filter and temp guage. and i would like to get around a 2800 stall t.c. how much do those run i cant find any sites that sell em.

Mods:
CAI, OBX exhaust, Grillcraft grills, altezzas, ard ryver g6 17's wrapped w/ falken's, VIS racing c.f hood, 2 12" kicker comp's w/pioneer h.u, streetglow blue undercars, red dash kit, indiglo guages, n other shit

WIKKISep-28-03 04:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#2009, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 10

Reading on Auto Trader it looks like it is an Electronically Controlled Automatic OD transmission like ours, so I would assume that thay used the A604/41TE platform. I'll bet that we could use some things from this unit. I think though that most of us that have persued higher performance with our transmission would agree that the main thing that we would like to see, is a higher rev limit, so that we can get the most out of our engines.
with that in mind. I think that for all out performance, it would be best to look towards the bullet proof Neon three speed non-electronically controlled auto. have you seen all of the shit that is available for this transmission at howells (including axles). I would REALLY like to see if we could make that work in our cars.

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

ModeratorCorbinSep-29-03 04:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#2013, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 11

Hmm...I didn't know that Quaife made an LSD for us. I'll put that on the wish list. I would really prefer to keep the A604. Now, I wonder if I could buy a junkyard tranny and rebuild it with all the Transtar goodies. Anybody know if you can do this yourself? I imagine that a shop would charge an arm and a leg for this.

I've thought about the Neon 3 speed. I've driven a few AT Neons and liked the feel of the tranny. But, I wonder what RPM the engine would be at when cruising at 70 mph? I'd figure that there would be some significant sacrifices when switching from a 4 speed to 3 speed (from a daily driver point of view).

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

WIKKISep-29-03 07:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#2014, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 12

>Now, I wonder if I could buy a junkyard tranny and
>rebuild it with all the Transtar goodies. Anybody know if you
>can do this yourself? I imagine that a shop would charge an
>arm and a leg for this.

I wonder what you consider an arm and a leg?
from what I have seen, you would probably be able to tackle the job with enough time and patience. I wouldn't even attempt it without shop space. keeping everything clean with our transmissions is imperitive and almost impossible in someones back yard.

though you still would be shifting at the lower rpms, and most of the engine upgrades we have are top end.

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

silvreclipsersSep-30-03 06:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1756 posts,
#2021, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 13

I got the pt cruiser autostick and from what I read people on a pt forums are running 300hp without any problems

silvreclipsersSep-30-03 06:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1756 posts,
#2022, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 14

this is a quote
"i have over 300 at the wheels and no problems yet. (knock on wood). This trans is used in lots of vehicles."

FranklindsmSep-30-03 07:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
490 posts,
#2023, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 15

>this is a quote
>"i have over 300 at the wheels and no problems yet. (knock on
>wood). This trans is used in lots of vehicles."
>

The only exception to that quote is the thousands(ok maybe 100s) (ok maybe not that many) upgrades here and there this and that.

So in essence, its the same tranny. Like a 99 is a DSM by lineag but not really. As it has grown its become known as "the tranny in every Chrysler" but it has changed quite dramatically id say over the years of its existance.

But yea i iamagine parts will still fit as im sure the specs havnt changed much, just the way certain things work and are controlled.

Damn the fully electronic transmission.

Formerly Gay
*TOTALLED* =(

mcgyvrOct-03-03 12:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2038, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 16

here is the quaife unit corbin
Mitsubishi - Eclipse / Talon 2WD non-turbo 2.0L 1995-99 part number 48.309.140 list$ 1,295.00

Mods are:
Not enough

ModeratorCorbinOct-06-03 02:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#2047, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 17
Oct-06-03 02:09 AM by Corbin

Isn't that for the 5-speed? I know they make one for the 5-speed, but is it interchangeable with the AT?

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

FranklindsmOct-06-03 05:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
490 posts,
#2048, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 18

"Isn't that for the 5-speed? I know they make one for the 5-speed, but is it interchangeable with the AT?"

I was talking with Dino a long time ago and he mentioned that the two diffs are different, so i dont thinkt he 5spd variant would fit in there. Sure there are slight differences that dont make it possible outta the box.

Formerly Gay
*TOTALLED* =(

mcgyvrOct-06-03 01:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2049, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 19

I thought we all figured they were the same, since the neon/atx/man phantom grips crap worked.
But I guess the whole diff gets replaced with the quaife and not just the phantom grip piece added in that one section

Mods are:
Not enough

ModeratorCorbinOct-07-03 01:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#2050, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 20

I was under the impression that they were different, but I don't recall anyone proving it. Perhaps they are similar enough to get that new LSD to work (see the "take out your NS SID now" thread). That seems to be a better alternative than the PG or NS.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

DSMkarzOct-07-03 04:27 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
184 posts,
#2051, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 21

All I know about the "auto stick" is once you hit a shift point it will shift it self. My dad and I drove a stratis a few years ago with an auto stick and my dad couldn't shift fast enough. It woulnt let you even come close to red line. I would say no tnanx to any one who even wanted to give me one.

TeamLSR member @ landspeedracing.com

ChamukoOct-09-03 08:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#2072, "RE: Steal parts from a GT Cruiser?"
In response to Reply # 22

When I was talking to Dino ? Im not sure I think we came to the conclusion that they are similar but the gear is different.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1976 Previous topic | Next topic