Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #977
View in linear mode

Subject: "FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..." Previous topic | Next topic
Qdogg60Apr-14-02 04:43 PM
Member since Apr 14th 2002
8 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#977, "FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..."

For several months now I have really wanted to purchase an eclipse RS/GS, being that I am a poor mofoo going to college etc I cant afford to cars so I need to make sure I make the right choice. So anyways what does that have to do with the racing section? Well I want to start a discussion up about the advantages, disadvantages of the different drivetrain layouts and what cars they are good with etc. Personally I am a drag and street race kidn of guy but I want a car that handles really well too that I could get into some SCCA with however I want a lot of raw hp to blow down the 1/4 mile strip for an 11 or even 10 second possibly. No matter what anyone says, FR is the best layout for drag racing. Just look at the top fuelers, they aint AWD with those monster tires in the back and teeny bicycle wheels in front. However eclipse's dont come in rear wheel drive, although I have heard of a RWD conversion (Buschurr Racing)? Although until about 10 seconds FF is still fine for drag race. But how does FF handle on the cornering? Any of you guys have serious suspension modifications on your FF eclipse's and seriously track race em? Or would I better spend my money getting a GSX and upgrading the turbo and suspension? What do you all think?

Quentin Christensen

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..., vegasdsmr, Apr-14-02 06:04 PM, #1
RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..., SaberKhan, Apr-15-02 08:39 AM, #2
      RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..., ModeratorVX100, Apr-16-02 12:18 AM, #3
           RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..., Qdogg60, Apr-16-02 08:08 AM, #4
                RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..., bigbrent88, Apr-16-02 10:03 AM, #5
                     RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..., Qdogg60, Apr-17-02 09:52 AM, #6
                          RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..., HadesOmega, Apr-18-02 08:12 PM, #7

vegasdsmrApr-14-02 06:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#978, "RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..."
In response to Reply # 0

ya, a cuple peeps race pretty regularly... i think we have a unibody frame with a multi-link suspension, or sumthin like that, its all in the specs/info section on www.2gnt.com

umm, we handle extremely well with small modifications to the springs/struts, and the use of braces, etc...

to get into 10s and 11s, u better have lotsa money, or get a awd dsm, which u said u didnt want.. with a decent turbo, and 100shot, if u slap sum good tires on, im sure u could be in your time bracket..

hahn runs a 11.5 i think w/an rs(ff) that is ?street driven and on street tires? there website is www.turbosystem.com

we make a good all around street performance car....

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SaberKhanApr-15-02 08:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#979, "RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..."
In response to Reply # 1

Well, since you said youre a poor mofo going to college, I'd recommend the GSX if you can find one. Cause in order to get into the 10's or 11's with an RS/GS you'll need to rebuild the bottem end of the engine. Then again, to really dig into the 4G63 to extract the kinda power needed for those passes, you'd probably wanna rebuild the GSX as well. AWD boys, dont panic, I know there's stock bottem end 4G63's making 10 trillion HP, but we also know how many will crank walk, and just generally shit on you. Especially at that power level. So, take your pick really. If you dont mind on upgrading the pistons/rods in the RS/GS, then the built 420a will make a damn near bulletproof/reliable high HP turbo motor when maintained properly. Then again, for drag racing you really cant beat the traction of AWD. As far as handling, the FF RS/GS will handle extremely well give then right suspension upgrades. Just ask HadesOmega

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

ModeratorVX100Apr-16-02 12:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#980, "RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..."
In response to Reply # 2

If you're into street racing more than drag strip racing (more racing from a roll than from a stop), and you have little to no money, the best bet for having a fast car cheap is find a 1st generation FWD DSM. You'd be able to find them for dirt cheap, mod them for not alot of money, and they are much better suited for top end running than the AWD cars. Getting the power to the ground in 1st or 2nd (or even third!) gear is the problem, but once on the highwy from 65 on up, with plenty of mods, they'll smoke most anything you would probably go up against.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Qdogg60Apr-16-02 08:08 AM
8 posts,
#981, "RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..."
In response to Reply # 3

I want a 2nd generation for the looks. If I wanted a car just for power I would go buy some crapper mustang or sumtin.

Quentin Christensen

bigbrent88Apr-16-02 10:03 AM
Member since Jan 13th 2002
692 posts,
#982, "RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..."
In response to Reply # 4

Why dont you get a RX-7 or something, looks and speed.

Qdogg60Apr-17-02 09:52 AM
8 posts,
#983, "RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..."
In response to Reply # 5

Because i like the looks of the eclipse over any other car. Anyways RX-7's, 300ZX's, and Supra's are very expensive compared to even getting a GSX. Like 5,000$ more for comparable year and miles, I am gonna buy a 300ZX in about another year or so when I got the spare cash to get a nice one.

HadesOmegaApr-18-02 08:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#984, "RE: FF, FR, AWD, I want to race too..."
In response to Reply # 6

well I'll tell you FF is not so easy to drive. Well they say FF is the easiest to drive and the hardest to master. Cuz it grips really well but because of it's understeer characteristics it can plow into things. Now I'm a firm believe in car tuning and driving skills. Your car will not be fast if you don't drive it fast. Combine skills with proper car tuning and you got one quick car. The key to tackling the corners in a FF is how well you can effectively manage understeer. If you use proper weight tranfer and don't overspeed your 2GNT will take corners fast. Tuning your car for more oversteer helps also, plus tires help a whole lot.

Our cars are pretty heavy I'll admit it, it's not quite as nimble as a civic or integra but it's cornering abilities are decent if driven well. Our chassis are very strong able to effectively handle 200+ HP, you might wanna reinforce the chassis with strut bars though.

As for drag racing, FF is good because you get not so much drivetrain loss. So you loose less power through moving parts. I'm guessing its traction is worse than FR because you shift weight to the rear when you accelerate so it'll lighten the front giving you less traction.

Hehe FFs can drift also if you know how..

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #977 Previous topic | Next topic