Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #438
View in linear mode

Subject: "Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?" Previous topic | Next topic
xEclipsE RaceRxJan-29-02 09:57 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#438, "Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"

After school I raced my friends 96 auto basic mustang with 150 Hp. We were both travling at 40mph and had a rolling start I was beating him up until we reached 70mph, then he passed me up. Im thinkin I was doing sumthing wrong. While we were at 40mph I had it in 4th and when we took off I downshifted to 3rd and I was in 3rd for the rest of the race and we got up and over 70mph, my rpm meter was goin up so slow, I was waiting till it got between 6-7 to shift so I could use all of 3rd gear, is it good to use all of the gear or should I have shifted into 4th earlier?

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary Edition
- Weapon R1 Atom Bomb Exhaust

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=55649

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, RSin oRACLe, Jan-29-02 11:05 AM, #1
RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, Thunderous_Talon, Jan-29-02 02:00 PM, #2
      RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, Fast420A, Jan-29-02 07:24 PM, #3
RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, ModeratorVX100, Jan-30-02 02:46 AM, #4
RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, xEclipsE RaceRx, Jan-30-02 08:36 AM, #5
      RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, Thunderous_Talon, Jan-30-02 08:43 AM, #6
           RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, Fast420A, Jan-30-02 10:21 AM, #7
                RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, EsiTalon96, Jan-30-02 03:13 PM, #8
                     RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, SaberKhan, Jan-30-02 04:04 PM, #9
                     RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, SaberKhan, Jan-30-02 04:09 PM, #10
                          RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, HadesOmega, Feb-02-02 05:21 PM, #11
                               RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, Moderatorxcasbonx, Feb-04-02 02:06 AM, #12
                               RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, fatchance, May-07-02 08:26 PM, #14
                               RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, fasterGS, May-08-02 05:00 AM, #15
                               RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, DSBLK93GT, Feb-19-02 05:55 PM, #13
                                    RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, TeamMichael_97RS, May-08-02 08:27 AM, #16
                                         RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?, wakebord99, May-08-02 01:14 PM, #17

RSin oRACLeJan-29-02 11:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
154 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#439, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 0

with just an exuast no ... but with intake header pulleys .. hells yea with no problem .. im surprised u lost to the auto

Unorthadox racing pulley
Aem short ram intake
Apex-i N1 cat-back(2.5)
Nakiyama flat black euro tails
Black projection headlights
Oz m

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Thunderous_TalonJan-29-02 02:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1422 posts,
#440, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 1

if you were going 40 you should've dropped to 2nd, 2nd goes up to about 60 or so.

Original 15 of 2gnt.com

Fast420AJan-29-02 07:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#441, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 2

Yup second goes to almost 65 mph then take 3rd to 90mph at 7000 rpm or to 100 mph at 7200 rpm.

current status unknown

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Drop in K&N Filter and open airbox
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

ModeratorVX100Jan-30-02 02:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#442, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 0

are you a 5 speed or an auto?

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

xEclipsE RaceRxJan-30-02 08:36 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
#443, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 4

5 speed, but sum guy at school said that I shouldnt drop it to 2nd cuz he had a friend who did that in sum other car and it blew his engine or sumthing. I am all stock on my GS except my lil weapon r1 muffler. I probably only get about 2 horses out of that huh?

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary Edition
- Weapon R1 Atom Bomb Exhaust

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=55649

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition

Thunderous_TalonJan-30-02 08:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1422 posts,
#444, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 5

simple and short, your friends an idiot. if you have power left to get, get it.

Original 15 of 2gnt.com

Fast420AJan-30-02 10:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#445, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 6

Yup, just know in each gear where the MPH and RPM match up. 1st gear redline is about 40mph, 2nd gear redline is about 65 mph 3rd gear redline is 95 mph 4th gear redlines about 120 and I can't get 5th gear to redline.

current status unknown

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Drop in K&N Filter and open airbox
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

EsiTalon96Jan-30-02 03:13 PM
Member since Jan 23rd 2002
89 posts,
#446, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 7

You cant get 5th gear to redline because of the govener, there is a get rid of the govener but you have to make sure you have Z-rated tires.

SaberKhanJan-30-02 04:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#447, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 8

Ok, I replied to this in another post, but oh well. There is no governor on the 95-99 nonturbo Eclipse/Talon. Nada. None. =o) That mod is for the 4G63 powered turbo car. They reason they have the speed limiter is because the tires on a stock GS-T were H rated. GSXs come with Z rated tires, and therefore dont have a speed limiter.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

SaberKhanJan-30-02 04:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#448, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 8

Actually, you shouldve beaten that Mustang if youre driving your car properly. Then again, I'm not sure. I know the GS Sport is a good bit heavier than my RS. Based on the weight of an RS, stock for stock, an RS should win. Mustang = 150hp at the fly, RWD so figure in a 20% drivetrain loss and 3150lbs or so. RS = 140hp at the fly, FWD so figure in about a 15% loss, though I've heard 18% and 2850lbs or so. So, based on weight and power, the Eclipse should win, if driven properly. Also, when going 40mph, I've always found its great to blip the throttle and downshift to 2nd. I love going from a 40mph roll. Downshift, grab second, chirp the tires and tear off. Only going to 3rd definitely hurt you.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

HadesOmegaFeb-02-02 05:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#449, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 10

Haha those mustangs are shit, I've driven one and it feels like a boat, like a little mini van bwahaha. I'll still remember that one night when i was with my friends, they raced a Manual Mustang GT on a 3 lane light and we beat it with a Toyota Sienna full of peeps and a Automatic Impreza 2.5RS (might I add I beat that Impreza 2.5RS nearly stock). Those mustangs are weak dude small game.

Oh yeah when you downshift you should double clutch dude, it'll save wear and tear on your tranny and clutch. haha blow up your engine, depends on the situation and speed your going.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

ModeratorxcasbonxFeb-04-02 02:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#450, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 11

my friends got a 96gt, he hopes that i will race him sometime, i dont know though, hes got a 5spd, and i got the AT, need some tips so i can whoop him

I contributed to the Wiki.

fatchanceMay-07-02 08:26 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
761 posts,
#451, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 12

>my friends got a 96gt, he hopes that i will race him
>sometime, i dont know though, hes got a 5spd, and i got the
>AT, need some tips so i can whoop him

ummmmm shoot his tires out?

1995 RS
new engine, I think I'm just going to leave it stock now.

fasterGSMay-08-02 05:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#452, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 12

>my friends got a 96gt, he hopes that i will race him
>sometime, i dont know though, hes got a 5spd, and i got the
>AT, need some tips so i can whoop him

Go turbo??? Nitrous?? Jet engine on the back?? seriously, your not gonna beat a v8 stang unless you go turbo or nitrous.

DSBLK93GTFeb-19-02 05:55 PM
Member since Jan 01st 2002
784 posts,
#453, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 11

>Haha those mustangs are shit, I've driven one and it feels
>like a boat, like a little mini van bwahaha. I'll still
>remember that one night when i was with my friends, they
>raced a Manual Mustang GT on a 3 lane light and we beat it
>with a Toyota Sienna full of peeps and a Automatic Impreza
>2.5RS (might I add I beat that Impreza 2.5RS nearly stock).
>Those mustangs are weak dude small game.
>
Uhh..I hope you are joking about the Mustang GT. Even the slowest GT..94-95 Auto will do 15.9?? Hell my 93GT when still Auto with just a K&N and pullies ran 14.907@ 94...so good luck

You should have easily wooped that V6 stang though..145 HP and heavy..stock with auto they run 17s!!!! And they call them Mustangs...disgraceful..

'00 Harley-Davidson F150
'88 Mustang GT
'93 Mustang LX 5.0
'00 Focus (beater)

TeamMichael_97RSMay-08-02 08:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#454, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 13

With regards to the GT
a.) Driver sucked
b.) Car had an exhaust and they only thought he was racing :-P
c.) Car had serious problems and needed to see a mechanic.

Una salus victus.
It's not about being invincible, it's about being ready; for anything.

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Crane Fireball HI-6DI2, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: P&P Intake Manifold 1/2, P&P Milled Head, Rear Disc Brakes, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Brake Lines

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

wakebord99May-08-02 01:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
130 posts,
#455, "RE: Was I suppose to beat a 150 HP Mustang?"
In response to Reply # 16

HA Mustang GTs are a joke. The new ones are even slower than the 5.0s. I was pissing on them before i rebuilt my engine. Just stage II.

O- and as far as the govenor goes.. Yep i can red-line in 5th.. the rev limiter does suck though.. 170s just isn't fast enough.. did u know a vette can go faster than 170.. Damnit !!!

97' Eclipse RS (kinda)

Present mods:
HRC stage III turbo kit (12 psi street, 25 psi track) / HKS 2 1/2" cat back exhaust w/burnt cat / 16" wheels w/Yokohomo tires (215/40) / 420A engine w/ tooled crank, billet crower rods, and 8.5:1 JE pistons / Head ported and polished, 3 angled valve job
Power-stop brakes w/axis pads / Ebachi Pro lowering kit (1.8") / MSD DIS-2 ignition system w/turbo retard

Near Future:
Stand-alone fuel system / 550cc injectors, and fuel rail / TEC III fuel/ecu system / 17” Hart racing wheels / KYB AGX struts, w/ upgraded anti sway bars / Rear brake conversion (front to rear, Brembo in front)

Jay-
wakbrd99@aol.com

97' Eclipse RS (kinda)

Present mods:
HRC stage III turbo kit (12 psi street, 25 psi track) / HKS 2 1/2" cat back exhaust w/burnt cat / 16" wheels w/Yokohomo tires (215/40) / 420A engine w/ tool

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #438 Previous topic | Next topic