Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11904
View in linear mode

Subject: "Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :(" Previous topic | Next topic
snufalufagus040Jan-29-06 04:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
332 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11904, "Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :("
Jan-29-06 05:17 AM by snufalufagus040

I really love the JVC KD-AVX1 head unit, but they say it's too deep to fit my 99 GS w/o Infinity system. I'm trying to find something similar to this, but all I really run into is cheaper-looking, overpriced units that all come with 7" displays, which I'm not particularly interested in. The 3" display that comes with the JVC KD-AVX1 is just a pretty cool bonus.

To my questions... Does anyone know of a good head unit that will play mp3s burned to DVD-R (and fit my car)? Like I said, the only ones I've been really able to find just don't look as nice or solid, and the 7" LCD might be a bit much for me.

Or better yet, is there a way I can possibly squeeze the JVC KD-AVX1 in to my car? I'm willing to weld, splice, saw, cut and melt anything standing in my way! TIA!!!

Edit: I had the wrong model up there before... the JVC KD-AVX1 is the one I really like.

http://www.snuFaluFagus.com --- electronic music made by me - hard house, drum and bass, trip hop, metal, breaks, etc...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :(, gramozeka, Jan-29-06 06:08 AM, #1
RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :(, snufalufagus040, Jan-29-06 06:53 AM, #2
      RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :(, gramozeka, Jan-29-06 08:32 AM, #3
           RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :(, snufalufagus040, Jan-29-06 11:27 AM, #4
                RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :(, gramozeka, Jan-31-06 10:57 AM, #5
                     RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :(, snufalufagus040, Jan-31-06 03:44 PM, #6
                          RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :(, MCubed45, Feb-03-06 12:04 AM, #7
                               RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :(, snufalufagus040, Feb-04-06 09:20 AM, #8
                                    RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :(, snufalufagus040, Feb-04-06 05:21 PM, #9
                                         RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :(, snufalufagus040, Feb-07-06 07:05 AM, #10

gramozekaJan-29-06 06:08 AM
Member since Aug 16th 2005
327 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11905, "RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :("
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-29-06 06:10 AM by gramozeka

I have stumbled on the same problem as you in terms of fitment. Check out the discussion below reply #14 or #15. The basic summary is that there is a bunch of relays behind the stereo and they can be unscrewed and moved to fit anything. Some estimates say depth of 10" is not a problem.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=11566&mode=full

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

snufalufagus040Jan-29-06 06:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
332 posts,
#11907, "RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :("
In response to Reply # 1

Points for you! That sounds great... I think I'll get to buy the head unit I want now.

Have you (or anyone out there) installed this JVC or other model that Crutchfield says won't fit? When you unscrew the relays to push them back, do you screw them down to something else or just let them sit? Thanks!

http://www.snuFaluFagus.com --- electronic music made by me - hard house, drum and bass, trip hop, metal, breaks, etc...

gramozekaJan-29-06 08:32 AM
327 posts,
#11908, "RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :("
In response to Reply # 2
Jan-29-06 08:33 AM by gramozeka

Sorry no more help form me. I am still in search of perfect HU. Actually I whant an HD radio, it's free and quality should be better than CD as long as they are not gonna be saving on bandwith. Anyway I have not seen yet what is inside there behind my current stereo but considering your mods (if you installed them yourself), you should not have any problems figuring out where to relocate the relays.

Good luck and post back with your results.

PS. Thx for points

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
98 Stock Talon ESi
Mods: New spark Plugs NGK, Fresh ATF, K&N, AGX, UDP and ZipTies tieing the strut towers (according to BlackMagic increases my torsional regidity)
I know spark plugs are not a mod but the car runs so smooth now.

snufalufagus040Jan-29-06 11:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
332 posts,
#11909, "RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :("
In response to Reply # 3

Here's the dimensions:

Installation Size: 182 x 52 x 160mm (7-3/16" x 2-1/16" x 6-5/16")

Panel Size: 188 x 58 x 18mm (7-7/16" x 2-5/16" x 3/4")

Detachable Face Plate Size: 169 x 58 x 24mm (6-11/16" x 2-5/16" x 1")

Anyone think I'll have a problem getting this in my 99 GS w/o Infinity? Thanks.

gramozekaJan-31-06 10:57 AM
327 posts,
#11918, "RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :("
In response to Reply # 4

did you install it yet?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
98 Stock Talon ESi
Mods: New spark Plugs NGK, Fresh ATF, K&N, AGX, UDP and ZipTies tieing the strut towers (according to BlackMagic increases my torsional rigidity)
I know spark plugs are not a mod but the car runs so smooth now.

snufalufagus040Jan-31-06 03:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
332 posts,
#11920, "RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :("
In response to Reply # 5

...waiting for it to arrive. also got a fish-eye camera so i can use the backup feature. it'll probably fit inside my aftermarket taillight enclosure and be pretty stealthy. should be hot.

MCubed45Feb-03-06 12:04 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#11926, "RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :("
In response to Reply # 6

like i said in the other thread - crutchfield's fitment guide is stupid. if that's the only source you have that said it won't fit in our cars you can disregard it. our cars fit all standard single DIN head units. there's also a shitload of space behind the stock stereo. the deck you mentioned looks like a single DIN so it shouldn't be a problem. if it's a little taller then you might end up ditching the little pocket thing under the stereo if anything.

-marc

snufalufagus040Feb-04-06 09:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
332 posts,
#11928, "RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :("
In response to Reply # 7
Feb-04-06 09:24 AM by snufalufagus040

Hell ya it's possible!

I can't say it was an easy install (especially w/ Sirius, TV Tuner, and backup camera), but the head unit fits. I didn't even bother with the sleeve, because there was nothing good to screw it to, and it wouldn't fit in the bracket that holds the cubby and head unit. And as for the relays, there's one in the center, and one on the right. I just twisted the one in the center clockwise a little to get it out of my way. Plenty of room behind the radio, even with my mess of wires.

I decided to use 4 screws each, and just mounted the head unit directly to those brackets that hold the cubby and radio to the chasis. That may seem stupid not to be able to slide it out to fix wires or make adjustments, but A) it's marginally more difficult to steal now, and B) if I need to work on anything back there, I'll have to take the center console out and the A/C dial cover plate off, anyways!

Excuse the pictues... Can't get the flash to stop on friend's crappy camera, and Janet is dusty as hell. I think I'll clean her tonight...

EDIT: I like going to Crutchfield to see reviews, features, and to generally shop for what I'm going to buy ELSEWHERE, but I have to agree that their fitment guide is a waste of time to read.

Also, this KD-AVX1 is really effin' cool. It's already performed above my expectations, and expectations were high!

snufalufagus040Feb-04-06 05:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
332 posts,
#11929, "RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :("
In response to Reply # 8

UPDATE: I was so proud of my new head unit, and I parked in a garage on 'the Plaza' tonight... Top floor, well away from everyone. Some fuckstick smashed into my driver's side bumer... parking light hanging out, paint scrathed on front fascia and quarter panel... super pissed... just my luck...

snufalufagus040Feb-07-06 07:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
332 posts,
#11930, "RE: Head units that play DVD-R mp3's, minus the cheap look and 7" LCD... :("
In response to Reply # 9

Wow, some response I'm getting... I'll post some pictures of the slick RCA switcher I installed in the c console...

About SIRIUS... Does anyone else think the sound quality can be kinda crappy? I guess it depends what station I'm on, but overall it does not sound as good as CDA, or mp3's I'm listening to. I've EQed everything just fine, but SIRIUS just sounds kinda crappy... not like interference or anything (i'm well away from power cables), but just sounds like it's EQed horribly...

Let me know if it's just in my head...

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11904 Previous topic | Next topic