Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #80573
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Everyone Who Has HIDs Come Here" Previous topic | Next topic
azdaveJan-20-05 05:00 PM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#80619, "RE: Everyone Who Has HIDs Come Here"
In response to In response to 2

I'm not trying to kill your product here but 2G Eclipses come from the factory with such a relay built into the headlight system already.

I checked into this when I installed my McCulloch HIDs. The factory service manual schematic indicates the headlight relay as A-14X and it's under the hood on the right side of the car. This relay's purpose is to take the load off the low beam headlight switching circuit and connections inside the car and in the column switches.

The harness and relay you are offering DO add an extra measure of insurance that the HIDs are getting sufficient power during start-up of the lamps but after almost two years of HID use I have found no need for the extra relay or wiring.

As a note: The headlamp system descibed in the link you provide is not the way our headlights are wired. If it were, I would endorse the added relay without a doubt.

Also note: The load of the high-beams activating DOES go into the column dimmer/passing switch but don't be confused, this load has no relation to the low-beam (HID) system power.

Food for thought to those with HIDs.
If you are driving during the day with the HIDs off and go to use your passing lights to flash someone ahead of you, do you realise you are firing the HID ballast everytime you pull the stick to blink the high beams? Yes, the low beams power up as well as the high beams when you flash your passing lights. That's really hard on the ballast to fire HIDs multiple times like that. Yes, newer ballasts have protection circuits to help prevent multiple firings from damaging the ballast but it’s best to avoid that situation altogether.

There are three solutions:

1. Never flash your passing lights more than once every 45 seconds IF your headlights are off (Not too practical huh?).

2. Wire your car for daytime running lights.

My car is wired so that my HIDs are on anytime the ignition is in the run position (daytime running lights). When I use the passing lights I'm only turning on the high-beams, since the HIDs are already turned on, and that way the HIDs are not stressed (I have a manual bypass switch if for some reason I don’t want daytime running lights to be active).

3. Snip a wire in the harness to prevent the low beams from activating with passing lights.

If you want to avoid the HIDs turning on and off while flashing your passing lights you can cut the red wire at terminal #2 on connector B-10 or terminal #32 on connector B-07. This will interupt the low beam circuit from finding a ground path when you use the passing lights. It will not affect any other function of the lighting circuit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Everyone Who Has HIDs Come Here [View all] , EclipseTenzoR, Jan-21-05 09:20 AM
  RE: Everyone Who Has HIDs Come Here, Doug96GS, Jan-19-05 04:49 PM, #1
RE: Everyone Who Has HIDs Come Here, EclipseTenzoR, Jan-20-05 03:59 AM, #2
      RE: Everyone Who Has HIDs Come Here, azdave, Jan-20-05 05:00 PM #3
      RE: Everyone Who Has HIDs Come Here, EclipseTenzoR, Jan-20-05 05:52 PM, #4
           RE: Everyone Who Has HIDs Come Here, MCubed45, Jan-20-05 08:20 PM, #5
                RE: Everyone Who Has HIDs Come Here, azdave, Jan-21-05 08:57 AM, #6
                     RE: Everyone Who Has HIDs Come Here, SonicYan, Jan-21-05 09:20 AM, #7
      RE: Everyone Who Has HIDs Come Here, Doug96GS, Jan-22-05 07:47 PM, #8

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #80573 Previous topic | Next topic