Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48238
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorVX100May-19-12 07:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48304, "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM"
In response to In response to 30
May-19-12 07:31 PM by VX100

I like the different ideas here. Money no object would certainly be needed for some of them, especially turing a 2G into some kind of performance EV. Nice idea actually, you can get it to be AWD, F front is gas engine, rear has electric motors, just have to get them to agree with each other.

Ok, here it goes, since you said money no object. Some of these are in other people's ideas (good ideas indeed, that is why I am including them!) but here is the full workup. A few items in here (at the end of each paragraph) are the really "money no object" parts.

This car will be all motor, very high performance, but well rounded, can be used for anything. Might not be super fast but we'll do our best to get as much power as possible without making it a drag racer only.

The car: A 2GNT, 97-99 (sorry I like the look of those years better), a GS as the extra trim makes it look a little better than the RS and I like the LED low spoiler so no turbo hoop, car is fully loaded, it will still have AC, power everything, sunroof, and yes all of this will work properly. The car will be repainted, the stock Sarronno Red (color code R82) naturally as this is the best color of any eclipse, ever, period, no discussion allowed. No macco "ambassador special" here, a high quality paint job, then the front of the car will be covered with that clear protectant layer that protects from stone chips because this car is going to be street legal and still possible to use as a daily driver. But, in a nod to the RS eclipse, the mirrors and door handles will be black as I think that look breaks up the red color nicely. And, all of the body panels that can be made out of carbon fiber will be carbon fiber for weight savings (hood is a given): front fenders, outside door panels, I think the hatch will have to remain steel because I don't want any lexan windows. And here is a money no object part: the entire chassis will have all the seams completely welded to increase structural rigidity. One guy in new england did this to his 2G turbo car and I'm sure it was expensive but it really will help the resistance to bending and twisting.

Interior: Interior is going to be refurbished so it looks better than when the car rolled off the assembly line, higher quality fabrics on the floor and seats (sorry no leather, I am not a fan of leather) and somehow we're putting in heated power seats. In the grand scheme of things heated seats should be quite feasable compared to the performance ideas. I'd go with the very rare (especially for a car that isn't an RS) black interior panels (like how my RS looks) but they would be a GS interior so that means no hard plactic trim on the doors. Also, new speakers and head unit, an in dash changer (I'm sure this is possible), sattelite radio (why not at this point, built into the head unit of course) a good sound setup (I'll leave the details of the sound system to the experts, of which I am not one), but no trunk engulfing amps and sub woofers, we can have them but it has to be light and reasonable; I want good sound but not a rolling boom box, and as an absolute must welcome to 2012, the headunit will have bluetooth and a usb port so your phone and any mp3 player will work with it. The sound setup will be tuned for the car to get the quality right, and to reduce any weird resonances.

Suspension and Brakes: The car will need 17", maybe 18" wheels, I haven't decided. Forged and as light as possible of course. 225 tires, that should be wide enough for the weight, high performance summer tires (as it will be a daily driver but it will never see snow again ) brakes big enough front and rear to fit into those bigger wheels. If the car has ABS great, if not no problem. Carbon ceramic setup of course, at least 4 piston up front if not 6 piston fixed caliper, dual piston out back, sliding caliper ok here. Upgraded springs, only 1" lower, not too low, and adjustable shocks (tokicos or AGXs or equivalent). Upgraded anti sway bars of course, strut tower braces front and rear, camber adjustment kit too (for the track), lower tie bars. Oh, and I almost forgot, every suspension component possible (uprights, upper a-arms, lower links...) is rebuilt to the same dimensions but made out of forged aluminum to reduce overall weight and unsprung weight. Money no object.

Transmission: 5 speed manual, I think the stock ratios will do, Quaife LSD of course, lightened flywheel, upgraded clutch (not too stiff to push though) upgraded axles just in case.

Engine:
All motor, 420A, balanced and blueprinted, 12 to 1 compression on forged pistons and rods (we can do this, see surprise idea below) with a forged knife-edged crankshaft, moderate port work to the head and radius honed valves, not too big of a port job to keep bottom end and well rounded performance, stainless steel valves, no wait sodium filled titanium (heheh) +1mm larger than stock, a moderate camshaft (stage 2 or stage 3 crower, well if you consider stage 3 moderate). Custom made intake manifold made with long and short runners, with bypass valves to the short runners which open at high rpms. Aluminum underdrive pulley (and AFX copy would be nice), long tube header (as long as we can get in the standard configuration, unless we move things around, we'll put that on the table as an option), engine can run to 8500 rpms if not higher. The entire exhaust, sans the catalytic converter (high quality, high flow cat, remember still a street car) in other words the long tube header and the entire catback, is made from titanium.

Here is the kicker.... direct injection. You said money no object, so somehow mod the head and somehow get an ECU that can control a direct injection setup. Of course this means the fuel setup needs to be changed to something that can handle the higher pressures. And, an upgraded ignition to handle it all. If you need to rip it out of a car that has a DI setup, with enough $$$ it can be done. The direct injection will make everything better, more power and fuel economy, and it can run at a higher compression too (again more power and economy). Getting the tune right for all driving will probably be just as costly and time consuming as setting it up. However, this car could be quite powerful and still driveable with direct injection. I couldn't begin to guess how much HP, but with the intake, a not too crazy port job/cams, and direct injection it should have good power everywhere int he RPM range.

Best I can come up with for now. I'm sure I missed a few things but feel free to add.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Ultimate 2G DSM [View all] , TeamDR1665, May-02-12 10:17 AM
  RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Moderatorteklein, May-02-12 10:24 AM, #1
RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, freelancefool, May-02-12 10:42 AM, #2
      RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, TeamDR1665, May-02-12 10:46 AM, #3
           RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, freelancefool, May-02-12 10:48 AM, #4
                RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Moderatorteklein, May-02-12 10:49 AM, #5
                RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, TeamDR1665, May-02-12 10:53 AM, #6
                     RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Moderatorteklein, May-02-12 10:55 AM, #7
                     RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, TeamDR1665, May-02-12 10:58 AM, #9
                          RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Moderatorteklein, May-02-12 11:02 AM, #12
                               RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Fotowntalon, May-02-12 01:04 PM, #19
                     RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, freelancefool, May-02-12 10:58 AM, #8
RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, iamnotwhoiam, May-02-12 10:59 AM, #10
RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, freelancefool, May-02-12 11:01 AM, #11
      RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Moderatorteklein, May-02-12 11:06 AM, #13
      RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, iamnotwhoiam, May-02-12 11:23 AM, #14
           RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Moderatorteklein, May-02-12 11:24 AM, #15
                RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, iamnotwhoiam, May-02-12 11:36 AM, #16
                     RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, TeamDR1665, May-02-12 12:04 PM, #17
                          RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, iamnotwhoiam, May-02-12 12:06 PM, #18
                               RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, TeamDR1665, May-02-12 02:45 PM, #20
                                    RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, electrohead, May-05-12 02:29 AM, #21
                                         RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Fotowntalon, May-05-12 08:34 AM, #22
                                              RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, electrohead, May-05-12 12:26 PM, #23
                                                   RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Fallen4ng31, May-07-12 08:13 AM, #24
                                                        RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, TeamDR1665, May-07-12 08:25 AM, #25
                                                             RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Slo2g, May-07-12 09:13 AM, #26
                                                                  RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, TeamDR1665, May-07-12 09:15 AM, #27
                                                                       RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Slo2g, May-07-12 11:46 AM, #28
                                                                            RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, ez, May-07-12 01:55 PM, #29
                                                                                 RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, TeamDR1665, May-08-12 10:28 AM, #30
                                                                                      RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, ModeratorVX100, May-19-12 07:21 PM #31
                                                                                           RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, 95_ESi_Person, May-20-12 08:56 AM, #32
                                                                                           RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, TeamDR1665, May-22-12 10:08 AM, #33
                                                                                                RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Moderatorjuan, May-28-12 01:44 AM, #34
                                                                                                     RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Fallen4ng31, May-28-12 04:02 AM, #35
                                                                                                          RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, TeamDR1665, May-28-12 12:04 PM, #36
                                                                                                               RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, Moderatorjuan, May-29-12 01:16 AM, #37
                                                                                                                    RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, TeamDR1665, May-29-12 09:10 AM, #38
                                                                                                                         RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM, fast420a83, Jul-13-12 04:05 PM, #39

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48238 Previous topic | Next topic