Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48238
View in threaded mode

Subject: "The Ultimate 2G DSM" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665May-02-12 10:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48238, "The Ultimate 2G DSM"

Assume money is no object and we have every tool we could ever need at our disposal.
Assume everyone who participates in this thread is on a team tasked with building the ultimate 2G DSM.
Assume I will be posing the same question on other forums and will be sharing the results on Gearbox Magazine.

That said, let's get started!

What will be this ultimate 2G DSM's greatest strengths and weaknesses?

GOGOGO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
ModeratortekleinMay-02-12 10:24 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#48239, "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM"
In response to Reply # 0

Since this is 2GNT, I will assume all motor.

Right off the bat:

Use the Neon head. Create clearance inbetween the subframe and firewall for a Neon style long tube header. This will create way more potential in the amount of power that can be made.

I will think of more later

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

freelancefoolMay-02-12 10:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48240, "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM"
In response to Reply # 1

SPC control arms, JIC Coilovers, Prothane bushings, GS/GST/GSX boxed rear control arms, RMDSM swaybars, fresh lower control arms on the front end.

2* negative camber up front.
1.5* negative camber out back.
6.5* Positive caster.
0.0" Toe.

My Blog

TeamDR1665May-02-12 10:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#48241, "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM"
In response to Reply # 2

Nice build lists, gentlemen, but what will be this DSM's strengths and weaknesses? Will this be some kind of track weapon? A street fighter? A grand tourer?

freelancefoolMay-02-12 10:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#48242, "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM"
In response to Reply # 3

I like a weekend warrior. Something fun to tool around with at track days, but not so serious that it isn't fun to drive on the street. Something you can still drive to work if you want.

Solo I/Solo II events.

My Blog

ModeratortekleinMay-02-12 10:49 AM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#48243, "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by freelancefool
I like a weekend warrior. Something fun to tool around with at track days, but not so serious that it isn't fun to drive on the street. Something you can still drive to work if you want. Solo I/Solo II events.

This.

13 second all motor quarter mile, but its main purpose is a autocross and track weapon.

Weakness is obviously its straight line speed.

Strengths will be the suspension setup - not just JIC's, but Mullerized JIC's.

TeamDR1665May-02-12 10:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#48244, "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM"
In response to Reply # 4

CLAY! Now we're talking.

This being 2GNT.com, do you guys think it should be all-motor? Part of me wants to see a well thought-out 2GNT, but it would also be interesting to see how 2GNTers would build a 4G63 (or any other engine)-powered DSM.

If you guys think a BMW straight-six mated to an RX-7 rear end would be the best bet, I'm cool with it. Of course, such designs kind of stretch the definition of DSM, but this is meant to be a fun project.

I've posted this on 2 other boards. It's like the ultimate virtual build challenge. LOL

ModeratortekleinMay-02-12 10:55 AM
1699 posts,
#48245, "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by DR1665
CLAY! Now we're talking. This being 2GNT.com, do you guys think it should be all-motor? Part of me wants to see a well thought-out 2GNT, but it would also be interesting to see how 2GNTers would build a 4G63 (or any other engine)-powered DSM. If you guys think a BMW straight-six mated to an RX-7 rear end would be the best bet, I'm cool with it. Of course, such designs kind of stretch the definition of DSM, but this is meant to be a fun project. I've posted this on 2 other boards. It's like the ultimate virtual build challenge. LOL

Im a purist. All motor all the way

It wont be fast in a straight line, but will be ridiculously fun in the twisties and you really cant beat burying the tach into 8500rpm's.

freelancefoolMay-02-12 10:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#48246, "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by teklein
Originally posted by freelancefool I like a weekend warrior. Something fun to tool around with at track days, but not so serious that it isn't fun to drive on the street. Something you can still drive to work if you want. Solo I/Solo II events.
This. 13 second all motor quarter mile, but its main purpose is a autocross and track weapon. Weakness is obviously its straight line speed. Strengths will be the suspension setup - not just JIC's, but Mullerized JIC's.

Straight line is fun, but I feel that is probably not the best for a heavy front wheel drive car. That's why I'm writing it out. I've driven Tim's car and I've driven a couple lightly modded turbo cars and Tim's car is by far the more entertaining to drive. Throttle response is just ridiculous.

Originally posted by DR1665
CLAY! Now we're talking. This being 2GNT.com, do you guys think it should be all-motor? Part of me wants to see a well thought-out 2GNT, but it would also be interesting to see how 2GNTers would build a 4G63 (or any other engine)-powered DSM. If you guys think a BMW straight-six mated to an RX-7 rear end would be the best bet, I'm cool with it. Of course, such designs kind of stretch the definition of DSM, but this is meant to be a fun project. I've posted this on 2 other boards. It's like the ultimate virtual build challenge. LOL

I think a higher compression 420A powered car is where we need to be. I'm going to limit myself in this discussion to the stock motor and transmission. I like the way it sounds, I like the layout and I feel that for what I would like to do it would be the best.

There is a reason my AWD car is still mostly stock. I like the response of the small turbo and I like how it feels right now. I do need to find something that makes a little more power with relatively quick spool time.

My Blog

TeamDR1665May-02-12 10:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#48247, "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM"
In response to Reply # 7

You guys are awesome.

What else do we need to think about in building the ultimate 2G DSM?

iamnotwhoiamMay-02-12 10:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#48248, "RE: The Ultimate 2G DSM"
In response to Reply # 0
May-02-12 11:00 AM by iamnotwhoiam

-2.4 Turbo AWD
-Upgraded axles and LSD(s)
-Full true coil-over setup
-Top/Bottom strut bars/ tie bars
-Tubular suspension arms for beefiness, maybe lighter weight and fully adjustable
-Prothane bushing all around.
-Standalone ECU
-Full interior and accessories and upgraded stereo

Basically a DD/WRC type setup.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48238 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic