Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #74428
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here" Previous topic | Next topic
mkerleyMay-17-04 01:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74653, "RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here"
In response to In response to 17

Originally posted by XtremeRS
Originally posted by mkerley I should have a LUK PP I believe. I'll try just removing the shims. Maybe he's wrong about the need for them. He never saw the flywheel. I understand that many of yours engage very high, but mine doesn't grab very well. Never has. If I drop the clutch from 3K, it just makes an awful grinding sound which I'm assuming is the disk sliding around the flywheel surface. I think there's just not enough engagement, so hopefully removing those shims will fix that. Sound right?
Do you have any pics of your PP at all? By looking at the PP pics I posted above, can you decern which one you got from Dan? See this is the strange thing..I'm actually on my 3rd clutch from Dan. The first and second ones, were built using a Sachs PP, and LUK fly for some reason..I just dont get it. Technically, that combination is using both the "thick" pieces, but it worked..Now on the second one he did, I got this AWFULL grinding, mostly screetching sound at the friction point...Like if you were to have the car on a hill, and use just enough clutch to keep it still, it would make the noise...I'm almost positive it had something to do with the mis-matched pieces..Maybe its possible to bolt a Sachs PP to a Luk fly with some machining, but trying to bolt a LUK PP to a sachs fly, just flat out doesn't work..I'm very curious to know what PP you have on your car..Technically, you *should* be using the Luk PP, since your lightened fly is supposed to mate with the LUK PP.. If your shims are causing an issue, I would think that with the very lightest amount of clutch pedal depression, that it would disengage your clutch. If the shims are causing the PP to be at a farther distance from the fly, then it would barely take any clutch fork travel to disengage it. Is this the case?

OK. Jason first. My step height was measured. It was .300, and he told me to shim it to set it at .330 which I did.

Xtreme: Mine engages and disengages just fine. It's grabby like I suppose it should be. It does dis/engage very very high. If I simply rest my foot on the clutch pedal I can cause it to slip. It's come to the point that I have to put my foot on the floor when I'm not using the clutch b/c the lightest amount of pressure can make it slip while accelerating. However, it only makes that awful noise when I drop the clutch at higher RPM's, not on daily driving.

Here are pics of my clutch:

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here [View all] , TeamXtremeRS, May-13-04 08:08 AM
  RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, run4cvr, May-13-04 09:38 AM, #1
RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamDR1665, May-13-04 09:45 AM, #2
RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, run4cvr, May-13-04 10:07 AM, #3
RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamXtremeRS, May-13-04 10:43 AM, #4
      RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, Dave41079, May-13-04 10:47 AM, #5
           RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamJasonESi_T, May-13-04 03:18 PM, #6
                RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamXtremeRS, May-13-04 07:00 PM, #7
                     RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, techboy, May-14-04 04:44 AM, #8
                          RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, corsagsbo, May-14-04 06:43 AM, #9
                               RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, mkerley, May-14-04 06:55 AM, #10
                                    RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, techboy, May-14-04 07:32 AM, #11
                                    RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, corsagsbo, May-18-04 02:54 AM, #22
                                         RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamJasonESi_T, May-18-04 02:59 AM, #23
                                              RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, corsagsbo, May-18-04 07:35 AM, #26
                                    RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamXtremeRS, May-14-04 07:57 AM, #12
                                    RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamJasonESi_T, May-14-04 08:52 AM, #13
                                         RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamXtremeRS, May-14-04 09:25 AM, #14
                                              RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, techboy, May-17-04 04:11 AM, #15
                                                   RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, mkerley, May-17-04 07:02 AM, #16
                                                        RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamXtremeRS, May-17-04 07:31 AM, #17
                                                             RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamJasonESi_T, May-17-04 11:51 AM, #18
                                                             RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, mkerley, May-17-04 01:27 PM #19
                                                                  RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamXtremeRS, May-17-04 02:46 PM, #20
                                                                       RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamJasonESi_T, May-18-04 02:45 AM, #21
                                                                       RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, mkerley, May-18-04 06:58 AM, #24
                                                                            RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamXtremeRS, May-18-04 07:25 AM, #25
                                                                                 RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, jamesman, May-18-04 09:10 AM, #27
                                                                                 RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, mkerley, May-18-04 10:41 AM, #28
                                                                                      RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, mkerley, May-18-04 01:42 PM, #30
                                    RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, siueclipse, May-18-04 11:28 AM, #29
                                         RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, techboy, May-19-04 02:36 AM, #31
                                              RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, oMInOUs97RS, May-19-04 03:19 AM, #32
                                              RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, TeamJasonESi_T, May-19-04 03:20 AM, #33
                                                   RE: People with stock modular clutches laying around..look here, turbo8u, May-19-04 06:15 AM, #34

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #74428 Previous topic | Next topic