Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #128223
View in linear mode

Subject: "[Long but need help]Mystery oil leak and bad idling " Previous topic | Next topic
at88mphOct-12-09 06:31 PM
Member since Sep 22nd 2009
11 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128223, "Mystery oil leak and bad idling "

Ok, this is completely crazy! I'm not sure EXACTLY what happened b/c its my daughter's car and she was driving (and the way she describes what happens, well, she just doesn't know cars that well so I have no idea what most of her descriptions mean) Anywho, she said the car *seemed* like it was going faster than what the speedo said (she said the speedo said 70 but felt like she was goin 85 ) and a couple of times while driving it, the RPM's *SEEMED* to go from 2k to 3k but just for a second....and that happened about three times over a 20 min period So, she pulled over and when she did, the oil light came on and she IMMEDIATELY shut off the car.

Ok, so I go to pick her up and check it out. I opened up the hood and saw oil everywhere. I checked the oil level and it didn't have any. So, I put in a qt and started it up. It started up ok but the idle went up to about maybe 1.5 and came back down to 900 but seemed ok. I backed up the car a little and looked under the car and saw a puddle of oil. Shut the car right back off; checked the oil and nothing was on the stick so I towed it home.

Today I put 2qts of oil in it, and the level was full (which makes no sense since it takes 4.7 qts) I then cleaned up the rear of the engine where there was oil EVERYWHERE also! Even down the exhaust all the way towards the back. There was soooo much oil I felt around the block for a hole. Got it all clean and started the car up and nothing. No oil leaking from anywhere. It smoked like crazy b/c of the oil that originally fell on the exhaust and also the brake cleaner I used on it to get the engine clean, but no oil. That makes no sense! How could I dump a qt with the engine runnin for just 10 seconds.....but not while the engine was running for about 10 min! I looked up top and everywhere (of course, I crawled under the car and looked at the back of the motor)

HOWEVER, when I revved the engine, I started to see smoke coming out of the hood. Below is a pic of the engine:

Now, I know that that 90 degree elbow piece is supposed to go where the green line is BUT that 90 degree elbow piece was actually laying down on the back side of the engine. Could oil have came out of it (since it wasn't attached to anything) and have dumped oil everywhere? Or, could it have been from where the blue line is? There in no hose there so there is a slight space between there and when I revved the engine, oil came out at that location.

I have since hooked up that 90 degree piece like it should be (like the green line shows) and, of course, that other hose is gone. I actually cut it to put a piece of hose back where the blue line is so its connected like it should be as well. Does anyone know why someone would have hooked up those hoses that way in the first place??? It doesn't make any sense. So, could that be where the oil shot from? The only thing about that happening though is I've had the car for 3 weeks now and none of this happened till last night. I guess it coulda been leaking all along, but it still doesn't explain the puddle of oil under the car the night it first happened. I'm COMPLETELY lost. To add to the issue, I drove the car just around the neighborhood, MAYBE about 1 mile if that...and it started running bad, like a miss and white smoke came out the rear. I thought it might be a head gasket issue, but the oil looks fine (not milky) and so does the coolant! This is just crazy. Could it possibly be the oil pump????

Sorry this post is soooooo long, I just wanted to give as much info as I could

Thanks for any help!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Mystery oil leak and bad idling [View all] , at88mph, Oct-12-09 06:31 PM
  RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , ModeratorCorbin, Oct-12-09 07:11 PM, #1
RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , at88mph, Oct-12-09 07:55 PM, #2
      RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , 95_ESi_Person, Oct-12-09 08:46 PM, #3
           RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , at88mph, Oct-13-09 07:29 AM, #4
                RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , AdministratorCODE4, Oct-13-09 07:51 AM, #5
                     RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , ModeratorCorbin, Oct-13-09 11:12 AM, #6
                          RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , Moderatorbullettdsm, Oct-13-09 02:08 PM, #7
                               RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , at88mph, Oct-13-09 07:13 PM, #8
                                    RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , RoninEclipse2G, Oct-14-09 11:52 AM, #11
                                         RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , at88mph, Oct-14-09 08:37 PM, #12
                                              RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , 95_ESi_Person, Oct-14-09 09:19 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , at88mph, Oct-14-09 09:42 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , 95_ESi_Person, Oct-15-09 07:47 AM, #15
                                                        RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , RoninEclipse2G, Oct-15-09 10:12 AM, #16
                                                        RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , ModeratorCorbin, Oct-15-09 05:53 PM, #17
RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , Ebster1085, Oct-14-09 06:05 AM, #9
RE: Mystery oil leak and bad idling , Raine883, Oct-14-09 07:59 AM, #10

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #128223 Previous topic | Next topic