Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #128
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: UDP install tips and suggestions.." Previous topic | Next topic
TeamMichael_97RSApr-03-01 01:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129, "RE: UDP install tips and suggestions.."
In response to In response to 0

What you need it a 3 ton minimum, 3 arm pulley puller. I found a 5-ton 3-arm pulley puller with long arms which worked great because our pulley has a small diameter on the inner part you grab, you need something to get down to like 3 inches.

I used the heat the pulley method and it only helped slightly, basically just enough to make it stay on the crank shaft while I picke dthe bolt up.

You also will need to find a bolt that is about an inch longer than the stock crank bolt. I think the specs on the bolt are metric 12 x 1.5 and then find one with the right legnth and you'll need a hardened bolt. What I did to hold the pulley still while I tightened it down was put two bolts in the pulley and put a screwdrivew between these and prop it against the frame rail. I didn't want to wedge a screw driver between the pulley arms because aluminum is a softer metal and I was afraid of bending it.

The torque spec is on the instructions you'll get from Howell, I want to say 105 ft-lbs, but I think I was using the same if not more torque to pull the pulley onto the car, so torqueing the bolt down may be futile. Also I have an 18" breaker bar, I suggest something just as big since I was using a lot of force to pull the pulley on. But please be carefull when pulling the pulley on, you DO NOT want to strip out the crank threads. Go slow but know that it is going to take a lot of force to push it on.

With that said, once you have it installed you are going to LOVE it!

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

UDP install tips and suggestions.. [View all] , Junoon, Apr-02-01 01:00 PM
  RE: UDP install tips and suggestions.., TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-03-01 01:44 AM #1
RE: UDP install tips and suggestions.., Junoon, Apr-03-01 02:35 AM, #2
      RE: UDP install tips and suggestions.., Team96NOS_Eclipse, Apr-03-01 04:24 PM, #3
           RE: UDP install tips and suggestions.., TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-04-01 01:31 AM, #4

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #128 Previous topic | Next topic