Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1337
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: REVIVAL OF THE OLDEST" Previous topic | Next topic
RyaN95i4May-08-07 12:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4284, "RE: REVIVAL OF THE OLDEST"
In response to In response to 9

Originally posted by mcgyvr
pretty sure your still limited because its a 95 with a funky tranny computer. PM ryan95i4 for info on that. he knows what works/what doesnt for the 95 as far as the stall speed.

I had a built atx with a 3K stall in my car before I swapped to a mtx.

At the line, I could build 12-15lbs of boost with ease (s16g), and bring the revs to well over 4K rpm (brake stall). The problem is the 95 tcm sees this high stall as slippage and will put the car into limp mode (2nd gear only). Even while launching 2nd, the car would still light up both tire 1/2 way through second, but...only second gear was available.

The issue with the early tcm's was what it saw as slippage. When brake torquing, your input speed sensor is seeing lots of speed, and your output speed sensor is seeing nothing -- when this becomes dramatic enough, into limp mode it goes. Im told 97+ tcm's do not have this same problem, but then, I dont know anyone who was actually building over 4K rpm and a bar of boost at the line either -- I believe dougie may have been, but its been a while since I kept up here.

I had planned on putting in a 97+ tcm to try and remedy the situation in attempt to salvage at least one track session, but swapped in a manual before I ever got the chance -- one of the few stock parts in the tranny, the OD clutch hub, sheared off and I refused to put another dime into another a604 ever again (now that the a604 is put into turbo PT's, DC has upgraded the clutch hubs -- had this been an option when I built mine, I would probably still be using an ATX, but that was many years ago ).

As far as drivabilty went, the car was daily driven without a problem. the 3K stall didnt prevent casual driving at all.

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

high stall vs drivability [View all] , ajna_star, Jun-25-03 09:27 PM
  RE: high stall vs drivability, soulcontroller, Jun-26-03 05:19 AM, #1
RE: high stall vs drivability, ajna_star, Jun-26-03 08:40 AM, #2
      RE: high stall vs drivability, soulcontroller, Jun-26-03 09:21 AM, #3
           RE: high stall vs drivability, mcgyvr, Jun-26-03 12:48 PM, #4
                RE: high stall vs drivability, soulcontroller, Jun-29-03 02:19 PM, #5
                     RE: high stall vs drivability, mcgyvr, Jun-29-03 05:39 PM, #6
                          RE: high stall vs drivability, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jul-01-03 10:32 PM, #7
                          REVIVAL OF THE OLDEST, N4cer, Apr-22-07 07:02 PM, #8
                               RE: REVIVAL OF THE OLDEST, mcgyvr, Apr-25-07 06:17 AM, #9
                                    RE: REVIVAL OF THE OLDEST, Keith2172, May-04-07 09:30 AM, #10
                                    RE: REVIVAL OF THE OLDEST, RyaN95i4, May-08-07 12:43 PM #11

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1337 Previous topic | Next topic