Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #6067
View in linear mode

Subject: "Put the daily on the track, lol." Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorbullettdsmJul-11-09 02:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6067, "Put the daily on the track, lol."
Jul-11-09 02:15 PM by bullettdsm

Well, our club dragday came and I had nothing ready to race, soooo.... whaddaya gonna do? Race the stock daily of course, lol.

99 GS OZ edition, 5sp (155k on the clock with the headgasket recently done), took back seat out and spare. Wanted to do some testing of throttle bodies and intakes but that effing stock ECU got in the way again. When I got my previous daily into the 14's with MSnS, I was able to switch parts around (throttle bodies to be exact) and see results (different maps). But because of the freakin' stock ECU and its learning curve, I wasn't able to switch stuff around because it had to "learn" the new part. (obviously) I couldn't do that on the strip.

Well for the day, I got around 25 runs in, lol. Beat the snot out of the daily, just because I could. Fun day, track was nice. These cars are tough to get into the 15's stock (again, because of that goddamn ECU - oh yeah, Not quite stock, I had a ram air and the intake was ported and polished for the 60mm throttle body. Otherwise, stock exhaust, stock pulley, no ac but newer f1 race clutch). I started off with the stock throttle body and couldn't get better than a 16.057@85.24. So I changed out to a 60mm throttle body and bam! That's when I remembered about the stock ecu. The idle jumped up to 2k as it tried to adjust to the 60mm. I figured WTF and I would take a run like that. I ripped off a 16.123@85.05 run (lol, its fun talking in these numbers. BTW, I did almost all 2.2 launches. Had a couple of 2.1's and a couple of 2.3's in there). So I go back to the pits and the idle is screwy. Tried driving it around a little but it would only lower it slightly. So I went with the WTF again and ran another (16.023@85.46).

Because of what I was doing at the track (pure high revs and high heat etc.) I believe the stock ECU could not get the information to make corrections properly. I was finally able to get her down to a 15.856@85.97, but that was a lot of work. I had that backed up with a 15.9 (somewhere in my packet of time slips, lol). But at that point, I just wanted to go play. So I did, lol.

Kinda pissed at the ECU (can you tell?). I really wanted to test some stuff out. There was one thing I did get tested out though(besides the fact that you can beat the snot out of these things); It was "with intake vs without intake". Having tested this on the dyno and seen a power loss with the intake off, I wanted to see if that held true on the strip. Yep it did. Each run that I did without the intake on (I did a bunch) was appproximately 1 mph slower in the trap. So, NA at least, you are better off leaving the intake on.

Well, just wanted to share my FIRST track runs of the year, grr.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Put the daily on the track, lol. [View all] , Moderatorbullettdsm, Jul-11-09 02:13 PM
  RE: Put the daily on the track, lol., Moderatorteklein, Jul-11-09 04:37 PM, #1
RE: Put the daily on the track, lol., Moderatorbullettdsm, Jul-13-09 04:07 AM, #2
      RE: Put the daily on the track, lol., Moderatorcs82685, Jul-17-09 09:24 AM, #3
           RE: Put the daily on the track, lol., 740 turbo brick, Jul-17-09 12:16 PM, #4
           RE: Put the daily on the track, lol., Moderatorbullettdsm, Jul-17-09 06:35 PM, #5

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #6067 Previous topic | Next topic