Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9911
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Too Much Boost?" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
BigBaldSep-12-04 06:08 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9911, "Too Much Boost?"
Sep-12-04 06:13 PM by BigBald

How exactly does timing work? I am getting low timing on my top end right now. I tried advance timing and ended up getting crazy knock. I added fuel to eliminate knock and that is not working. I am running 9.9:1 - 10.5:1 a/f ratio according to DSMLink. This means i am already running rich so adding fuel will cause me to lose more power. All this leads me to believe that 18psi is too much for the stock SMIC. If i turn the boost down to say 15psi will this help with my timing and fuel at all? Please point me in the right direction. I am a tuning noob. My understanding is i want to get timing in the late teens - early 20s w/ no knock.

My best time so far is 14.3 @ 94mph w/ 1.9 60'

www.illeagle-tsi.net/specs/

Obviviously something is going on here...please help.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
Vandy420aSep-12-04 06:14 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9912, "RE: Too Much Boost?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sep-12-04 06:15 PM by Vandy420a

yes, 18psi is at the limits of the SMIC--you're really not supposed to run any more than 15-16psi on a big 16g with a side mount...

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BigBaldSep-12-04 06:22 PM
2715 posts,
#9913, "RE: Too Much Boost?"
In response to Reply # 1

Not the answer i wanted but figured that was the case. Will i see better timing and a/f with less boost? I am pretty sure it will get rid of the knock.

Is 16psi ok or should i not chance it and stick with 15psi till i get a FMIC?

chrysler kidSep-12-04 07:13 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#9914, "RE: Too Much Boost?"
In response to Reply # 2

15psi is still heat soaking the sidemount after about 5 minutes of hard driving

11.65 @ 115

BigBaldSep-12-04 07:32 PM
2715 posts,
#9915, "RE: Too Much Boost?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by chrysler kid
15psi is still heat soaking the sidemount after about 5 minutes of hard driving

I don't think it will take me that long to get down the track. I will let you know after Saturday. I am going to a test and tune at the local trackt o see whats up @ 15psi.

DSMTunerS95Sep-13-04 03:58 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2003
185 posts,
#9916, "RE: Too Much Boost?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-13-04 03:59 AM by DSMTunerS95

i was able to run 18psi with a big 16g and a stock smic and 510's on pump and only getting a few counts of knock i went 13.1 @ 102 with a 1.76 60''. what is " low " timing to you. my timing normally starteda bout 17 and crept to 20, on race gas i ran 22psi on the sidemount, started getting headsoaked half way down the track ( 3rd gear haha ) but as long as you are on 93 im sure u could squeeze 18 out of a sidemount with <8-10 counts of knock

BigBaldSep-13-04 05:00 AM
2715 posts,
#9917, "RE: Too Much Boost?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by DSMTunerS95
i was able to run 18psi with a big 16g and a stock smic and 510's on pump and only getting a few counts of knock i went 13.1 @ 102 with a 1.76 60''. what is " low " timing to you. my timing normally starteda bout 17 and crept to 20, on race gas i ran 22psi on the sidemount, started getting headsoaked half way down the track ( 3rd gear haha ) but as long as you are on 93 im sure u could squeeze 18 out of a sidemount with <8-10 counts of knock

I am getting less than that but my intake temps are insane. I hade a 117 F intake temp by the start of third gear(5100 rpm) and ended with 98 but 7200rpm. At what knock count does timing get pulled? How many counts of knock are considered to be safe?

FlyinEsiSep-13-04 05:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#9918, "RE: Too Much Boost?"
In response to Reply # 5

The DSMlink guys say that timing is not as important as knock. My timing gets clear down to 4-5 degrees, but they all said that is normal and it will vary with different atmospheric conditions. Post on DSMlink Jerrome and attach one of your logs and have the experts look at it.

BigBaldSep-13-04 05:18 AM
2715 posts,
#9919, "RE: Too Much Boost?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
The DSMlink guys say that timing is not as important as knock. My timing gets clear down to 4-5 degrees, but they all said that is normal and it will vary with different atmospheric conditions. Post on DSMlink Jerrome and attach one of your logs and have the experts look at it.

I did and that is WWWWAAAAYYYYY to low. I want timing to be at about 18-21 degrees...that is where the power lies. You must have no top end at all. I was getting 6 degrees of timing on the track and it felt like i was moving in slow motion.

I am just trying to figure out how knock counts are safe before i turn boost down. I know it is pulling 1 degree of timing because of my intake temps, but if the knock count is ok then i will let it go.

FlyinEsiSep-13-04 05:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#9920, "RE: Too Much Boost?"
In response to Reply # 8
Sep-13-04 05:45 AM by FlyinEsi

Knock counts of 2-3 is "safe" but you still want to get rid of it all together if at all possible. Right now, I have <1 deg of knock in only a few spots.

My timing might also be getting pulled because of high intake temps and high coolant temps, I think between the two it pulls about 3 degrees of timing, but I don't want to force extra timing on the car because the last time I tried that I got hella knock.

When I get home, I'll send you one of my logs.

BigBaldSep-13-04 05:49 AM
2715 posts,
#9921, "RE: Too Much Boost?"
In response to Reply # 9
Sep-13-04 05:50 AM by BigBald

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Knock counts of 2-3 is "safe" but you still want to get rid of it all together if at all possible. Right now, I have <1 deg of knock in only a few spots. My timing might also be getting pulled because of high intake temps and high coolant temps, I think between the two it pulls about 3 degrees of timing, but I don't want to force extra timing on the car because the last time I tried that I got hella knock. When I get home, I'll send you one of my logs.

you have a FMIC...how are you getting high intake temps? ANd i was told that at first also.....but there are those who tune to 7 counts of knock. I would liek to know how safe that is before i remotely consider that. Cause if that is the case i have timing advanced by 5 from the 3k - 7k range and i am only getting around 4 counts of knock.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9911 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic