Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9361
View in threaded mode

Subject: "So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).." 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
optimuspetersonApr-21-09 09:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9361, "So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).."

So i'm sure i'll miss something here but over christmas break from school i want to do some major stuff to the car. I am going to tell you either what i have or am going to have and I need to know what i'm missing/don't need, etc.

I already have a hard uic pipe, and a 1g bov, and K&N open element.

After this I don't plan on upgrading much more except for injectors and SAFC to manage it. So here is what i have or am going to get.

14b
FMIC
2 1/2" exhaust (don't think i will ever push the limits of it so 3" unnecassary?)
2 1/2" DP
2 1/4" IC piping (all of the piping and exhaust will be custom)
walabro 255
MBC
hard intake pipe (do i need this, will it make a difference?)

So with this i would hope to be low 14's to 13's but not too sure. I'm sure i forgot something i've previously thought of. But is there anything i'm forgetting or should get?

With this setup on stock injectors and no fuel management what psi should i run?

Also with just that stuff how much psi can i push out of the 14b when i upgrade injectors? And what size injectors should i get when i do purchase them?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
HybriDSMNov-23-04 08:45 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9362, "RE: So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).."
In response to Reply # 0
Nov-23-04 08:54 AM by HybriDSM

Originally posted by optimuspeterson
So i'm sure i'll miss something here but over christmas break from school i want to do some major stuff to the car. I am going to tell you either what i have or am going to have and I need to know what i'm missing/don't need, etc. I already have a hard uic pipe, and a 1g bov, and K&N open element. After this I don't plan on upgrading much more except for injectors and SAFC to manage it. So here is what i have or am going to get. 14b FMIC 2 1/2" exhaust (don't think i will ever push the limits of it so 3" unnecassary?) 2 1/2" DP 2 1/4" IC piping (all of the piping and exhaust will be custom) walabro 255 MBC hard intake pipe (do i need this, will it make a difference?) So with this i would hope to be low 14's to 13's but not too sure. I'm sure i forgot something i've previously thought of. But is there anything i'm forgetting or should get? With this setup on stock injectors and no fuel management what psi should i run? Also with just that stuff how much psi can i push out of the 14b when i upgrade injectors? And what size injectors should i get when i do purchase them? I appreciate your help. Thanks.

You can run low 13's/high 12's with MBC, Exhaust, Filter, Clutch/PP, SAFC and FP. You'll not want to exceed 14-15 psi without being able to manage fuel though.

The FMIC is a bit of a premature thought at this point. If you aren't getting a 3" exhaust, I'd stay with a SMIC (upgraded Supra SMIC eventually) since you'll likely not desire enough power to need 3" or FMIC. At this point, you are kind of jumping around the sequence with what you mentioned, so I would spend a little more time reading up before buying anything.

Have you looked through the DSMTuners and MachV upgrade paths yet?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/tuning-guide/
http://www.buschurracing.com/upgrade.html
http://www.machv.com/ecperguid.html

My recommendations for your first purchases:
Hallman MBC ($60 at www.boostcontroller.com)
Autometer -30-30 Mechanical Boost Gauge ($50 at www.summitracing.com)
Walbro 190 lph FP (~$80 at www.autoperformanceengineering.com)
SAFC (~$300 at www.roadraceengineering.com)

The 190 lph FP is contingent on your genuinely not wanting to exceed certain power levels. If you think you may one day want a big HP machine, get a 255 lph, FMIC and 3" exhaust. You don't want to have to rebuy things later, so making that decision now could be important.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

optimuspetersonNov-23-04 09:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#9363, "RE: So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).."
In response to Reply # 1
Nov-23-04 09:10 AM by optimuspeterson

yes i have read the upgrade paths. I am getting a good deal on a used 255 pump so that is why i went with that. I'm auto so no need for the clutch. I have a boost gauge on the way.

I went with the FMIC (plus i'm getting good deal on one from somonee local) because the little ricer in me finaly wants a FMIC cause my last one was the SMIC on the GS. Plus i will get a much better deal on the piping when the guy does my exhaust.

And you talk about a FP? whats that fuel pressure something? I was curious if i would need a FPR. I live in the dorms so i can't work on my car so i am doing a bunch of stuff at once. All of that stuff above in my previous post will be done at the same time.

EDIT: oh i assume you mean FP as in fuel pump. I'm an idiot. lol

2006 Scion tC

HybriDSMNov-23-04 11:26 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#9364, "RE: So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).."
In response to Reply # 2

You don't "need" a FMIC. You could spend your money much much better elsewhere despite the good deal. I understand the ricer pull (I vent my BOV, correctly, and love it for the sound plus its ease having the MAF after the BOV and subsequent lack of tubing to reroute) but make sure it's effective and ricey, not just for rice's sake.

Again, this is all contingent on not wanting to exceed a certain power level. You'll need the FMIC with a bigger turbo.
You may even want it with the 14b, but I just want to express that you can spend the money more effectively by buying some other things off the bat.

The FMIC does look awesome however. Best of luck.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

FlyinEsiNov-23-04 12:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#9365, "RE: So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).."
In response to Reply # 3
Nov-23-04 12:58 PM by FlyinEsi

I think you are kind of contradicting yourself. You say you don't need a 3" exhaust but you want to get into the 13's. I think you will want to go with a 3" exhaust to push that kind of psi and you might as well add a 2.5" pre-flex pipe to 3" post-flex pipe DP since you are building it all anyway. Go bigger now because you will want it/need it later. Plus I think 2.5" exhaust is only recommended up to like 12psi anyways on our cars.

Just my guessing, but I think you will need about 18psi to get into the 13's along with some 550's or bigger injectors. To run the 18psi it is best to have the FMIC, which you are getting, and when you have the Walbro, I would suggest an AFPR, www.speedandthrottle.com has a good one for ~$140.

TeamJeff_99gsNov-23-04 01:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#9366, "RE: So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).."
In response to Reply # 4

Auto? The very first thing you should do is a shift kit and end clutch kit. It makes a HUGE difference.

optimuspetersonNov-23-04 02:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#9367, "RE: So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).."
In response to Reply # 5
Nov-23-04 02:35 PM by optimuspeterson

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Auto? The very first thing you should do is a shift kit and end clutch kit. It makes a HUGE difference.

does it make it terrible for daily driving? I've read a little about the shift kit. I have an electronic shift kit on my s10 and on its hardest setting it is a stiff freakin shit. I wouldn't want to have that all the time on my eclipse since it will be a daily driver. I understand it would make a big difference but cons would out weigh the pros.

also, if there is something else i should get instead of the fmic for cost reasons then what is it. Its not i'm only getting the stuff above because thats all i can afford but because thats what i decided to do now.

EDIT: what is a APFR? your link doesn't work.

Its not i can't go 3" but i just didn't think i needed it and i didn't wanted to prevent boost creep as much as possible.

Believe me, all of your advice is much appreciated. thanks.

2006 Scion tC

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-23-04 02:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#9368, "RE: So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).."
In response to Reply # 5
Nov-23-04 02:42 PM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs

It's also pretty cheap too.
Is that 255 the low pres or high? If it's the high pressure, you'll need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (AFPR).
As far as everything else goes, try to not have to do things twice. If you'll eventually need a FMIC, get it now. That way, you won't need to have the piping done again later and you can just have it custom made to work with the front mount and 14B. You'll be needing a J-pipe to make the 14B play nice and if you'll be using the SMIC, the J-pipe will need to bend one way and if for a FMIC, it'll go the other way. It won't really hurt anything having it now anyway.
Same with the exaust, why upgrade again later if you can get it done now...
Kepp us posted with your progress and let us know if you need any more suggestions. You do seem to be on the right track though.

edit: Check the OD on the inlet/outlet on the FMIC before you have the piping made. You may need to go with 2.5".

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

optimuspetersonNov-23-04 02:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#9369, "RE: So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).."
In response to Reply # 7
Nov-23-04 02:51 PM by optimuspeterson

oh, APFR. adjustable FPR. got ya.

what is this J pipe? not part of normal piping when i do the plumbing for the intercooler? I know i need the oil line so i have that coming. I won't be making the piping before i have the IC so i won't do the wrong size. I just already had the UIC so i wanted to try and just use that and stay with 2 1/4.

Also i was unaware of there being 2 different kinds of pumps. I've had one on the GS but didn't know there were different ones out there. never seen them advertised differently

and ok,ok i will get 3". lol

2006 Scion tC

FlyinEsiNov-23-04 03:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#9370, "RE: So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).."
In response to Reply # 8

There are 2 walbro pumps, the 190 (low) and 255 (high). Same thing as everything else, go with the better now, I think they are the same price anyway.

For the AFPR, sorry about the link, I typed the wrong part of their name, www.fullthrottlespeed.com. Bolts up to the fuel rail and has a spot for a manual fuel pressure gauge built in if you want it.

optimuspetersonNov-23-04 03:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#9371, "RE: So here is what i'd like to do with the my new GSX (need advice).."
In response to Reply # 9

got ya about the FP. i thought he was talking about two different models for the 255 itself.

2006 Scion tC

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9361 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic