Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8359
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Head coming off...what else should I do" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
FlyinEsiApr-21-09 09:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8359, "Head coming off...what else should I do"
Jun-06-05 09:46 AM by FlyinEsi

I should have my new headgasket and radiator here today or tomorrow. I talked to my dad (mechanic of 30 years) and he told me I might as well change out my timing belt (62K on the clock) and water pump. Okay, I can take care of that, and he also told me I should have my head checked for cracks and to make sure the whole valve train is all in good working condition, especially to make sure the valves are "seated"??? He says if I've been running lean I could have some problems there.

While I have the head off getting decked, is there anything else I might as well do to it now? I was thinking about getting like a 3 angle valve job, port and polish, along with the usual racing equipment in the head (new springs, retainers?) etc.

Anything I really SHOULD do to the head while it is off and at a qualified shop?

Hopefully I will have the car taken apart this weekend, or early next week, and fixed in the next couple weeks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
TeamJeff_99gsJun-06-05 10:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8360, "RE: Head coming off...what else should I do"
In response to Reply # 0

The head will be fine. Just make sure there is no warping from the overheating.

If you want a built head now, go for it. Titanium retainers, springs, cams, etc. It really isn't worth it though at this point and will cost a lot more money. You can do whatever you want though if you want to spend the cash.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

FlyinEsiJun-06-05 10:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8361, "RE: Head coming off...what else should I do"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
The head will be fine. Just make sure there is no warping from the overheating. If you want a built head now, go for it. Titanium retainers, springs, cams, etc. It really isn't worth it though at this point and will cost a lot more money. You can do whatever you want though if you want to spend the cash.

What about just doing a port and polish on the head while it is there? Is that worth it, or does our head flow enough air as is?

420a-TnthewerksJun-06-05 10:02 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#8362, "RE: Head coming off...what else should I do"
In response to Reply # 0

I would at least get a 3 or 5 angle valve job while it's there. The rest, well, depends on your budget.

FlyinEsiJun-06-05 10:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8363, "RE: Head coming off...what else should I do"
In response to Reply # 3

Okay, I do not ever plan on running 9K RPMS on my head, so would titanium springs and retainers even be worth it whatsoever? or stock should cut it?

Angled valve job? Really what is this? Does it just help increase airflow?

My budget I am somewhat putting aside, I just want the car to run right, and if I can get a little performance out at the same time, I might as well.

I was also thinking about picking up a set of FP272 cams later this summer, but I might just do it now. Adv/Dis of the 272 cams????

All advice and knowledge sharing is greatly appreciated. Help me learn more about my car!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

slowmitsuJun-06-05 11:10 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#8364, "RE: Head coming off...what else should I do"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-06-05 11:12 AM by slowmitsu

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Okay, I do not ever plan on running 9K RPMS on my head, so would titanium springs and retainers even be worth it whatsoever? or stock should cut it? Angled valve job? Really what is this? Does it just help increase airflow? My budget I am somewhat putting aside, I just want the car to run right, and if I can get a little performance out at the same time, I might as well. I was also thinking about picking up a set of FP272 cams later this summer, but I might just do it now. Adv/Dis of the 272 cams???? All advice and knowledge sharing is greatly appreciated. Help me learn more about my car!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

A bunch of no's. Unless you're willing to dump a few large into getting the head built then there really isn't a huge point in only doing a few little things here and there to it. Cams will help though but that's not rocket science since you can have the head on the car while changing them obviously. I've seen you post about down time concerns and getting your head built will only add to that. You've got plenty of other places to spend money before you start ripping the head apart..(i.e. your bottom end, better fuel setup, bigger turbo, etc).

BigBaldJun-06-05 11:15 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#8365, "RE: Head coming off...what else should I do"
In response to Reply # 5

Port and polish is a waste of time on any turbo that flows less then 60lbs/min. For you, I would get either a set of cams and/or a sheet metal intake manifold. You will see great improvements performance mods from either of those mods. You don't need springs, retainers or valves unless something is wrong with yours or you plan on shifting past 8k.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

FlyinEsiJun-06-05 12:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8366, "RE: Head coming off...what else should I do"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by BigBald
Port and polish is a waste of time on any turbo that flows less then 60lbs/min. For you, I would get either a set of cams and/or a sheet metal intake manifold. You will see great improvements performance mods from either of those mods. You don't need springs, retainers or valves unless something is wrong with yours or you plan on shifting past 8k.

Cool, thanks Jerrome.

TeamJeff_99gsJun-06-05 06:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#8367, "RE: Head coming off...what else should I do"
In response to Reply # 7

And cams are worthless without shifting pass 7k as well. Just stick with the stock head.

FlyinEsiJun-07-05 04:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8368, "RE: Head coming off...what else should I do"
In response to Reply # 8

And cams are worthless without shifting pass 7k as well. Just stick with the stock head.

Done, done, done, done and done. Stock head it is. Just going to have him look through it to make sure it all looks okay, then deck it.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help!

BigBaldJun-07-05 05:34 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#8369, "RE: Head coming off...what else should I do"
In response to Reply # 8
Jun-07-05 05:47 AM by BigBald

There are logs and Dynos that prove severely otherwise......are you serious? I can see a sheet metal arguement but def not cams.

Edit: This is how worthless Cams are

Stock vs 272's Dyno
http://www.automotosports.com/Stock%20VS%20HKS%20272%20272.JP G

Stock vs 264's Dyno
http://www.automotosports.com/Stock%20VS%20HKS%20264%20264.JP G

The Whole Test:
http://www.automotosports.com/cam_test.asp

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8359 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic