Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27897
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Quick Question About Front Strut Towers..." Previous topic | Next topic
BDTalonSep-06-05 04:57 PM
Member since Jun 08th 2005
153 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27897, "Quick Question About Front Strut Towers..."

I've got a feeling im going to be very disapointed with the responce that i get from this question. Are the front strut towers removeable. My eclipse towers are bad, but the talon's towers are good. I want to switch them up. Thank you in advance for your time.

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
AAHHHHHH it's the Bomex table top and bench deluxe! Get the holy wrench we need to purify..

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mcgyvrSep-07-05 04:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27900, "RE: Quick Question About Front Strut Towers..."
In response to Reply # 0

do you mean the part with the 3 bolt holes that the shock pokes up through?
If so NO
but with a bit of welding Im sure it can be fixed

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BDTalonSep-07-05 09:57 AM
Member since Jun 08th 2005
153 posts,
#27905, "RE: Quick Question About Front Strut Towers..."
In response to Reply # 1

Thats what i thought.. has anybody repaired rust up in there.. if so how hard is it.. and whats the best way going about that.

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
AAHHHHHH it's the Bomex table top and bench deluxe! Get the holy wrench we need to purify..

hazardeclipseSep-07-05 10:06 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2003
640 posts,
#27906, "long winded answer to quick question about strut towers"
In response to Reply # 1

I talked to a pretty reputable body guy a while ago about my front strut towers rusting out on me. According to him, the dodge caravans had a similar problem where they would rust to the point where the strut actually came through the rusted out tower... :o Apparantly when chrysler found out about this, they made a replacement part that body shops could replace on cars under warranty... The part that has the strut tower on it is called the front apron. Apparantly you have to take a third of the car appart to replace them, but if you have the extra parts, time, and patience to do it, you should be able to get it done... As for the body guy, he flat-out refused to even touch mine, because of safety concerns, regarding cutting and welding pieces in... and personally i dont necisarally blame him. I wouldn't trust welded in parts either... Hope this helps...

RIP- Rustbucket 1995-2009

‹hazardeclipse› by the way youre thinking of hazard_eclipse
‹hazardeclipse› thats not my fucking car
‹teklein› Oh yeah
‹hazardeclipse› he stole my name
‹hazardeclipse› fuck that radioactive yellow shit
‹teklein› Hazard_eclipse is the homo.

EvMan2345Sep-07-05 10:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#27907, "RE: long winded answer to quick question about strut towers"
In response to Reply # 3

yea- i wouldnt exactly trust welded/patched strut towers, Last thing u need is to hit a bump and have the suspension go on the highway or something...

Evan B
97 GS- sold
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

mcgyvrSep-08-05 06:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#27915, "RE: long winded answer to quick question about strut towers"
In response to Reply # 4

Id trust a properly welded/repaired strut tower.
its a simple fix
just cut out the old rusted parts and fab up a new plate and weld it in..

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

OldGuySep-11-05 04:19 PM
Member since May 04th 2003
1077 posts,
#27926, "RE: long winded answer to quick question about strut towers"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by mcgyvr
Id trust a properly welded/repaired strut tower. its a simple fix just cut out the old rusted parts and fab up a new plate and weld it in..

The operative word here is Properly. I agree. I have welded steering tie bars on a pair of Fire fighting tractors we used on the carrier. (Poor design from factory caused break) Almost 1.75" thick solid bar. The tractor weighed in at almost 16K lbs. No tractor, no flight ops. Point is, IF it is welded properly the welded joint is stronger than the surrounding metal. It is possible to do if you have a good welder to do it for you. What do you feel comfortable with?

So now at 44 what the hell do I do?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27897 Previous topic | Next topic