Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectQuick Question About Front Strut Towers...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=27897
27897, Quick Question About Front Strut Towers...
Posted by BDTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've got a feeling im going to be very disapointed with the responce that i get from this question. Are the front strut towers removeable. My eclipse towers are bad, but the talon's towers are good. I want to switch them up. Thank you in advance for your time.
27900, RE: Quick Question About Front Strut Towers...
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
do you mean the part with the 3 bolt holes that the shock pokes up through?
If so NO
but with a bit of welding Im sure it can be fixed
27905, RE: Quick Question About Front Strut Towers...
Posted by BDTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thats what i thought.. has anybody repaired rust up in there.. if so how hard is it.. and whats the best way going about that.
27906, long winded answer to quick question about strut towers
Posted by hazardeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I talked to a pretty reputable body guy a while ago about my front strut towers rusting out on me. According to him, the dodge caravans had a similar problem where they would rust to the point where the strut actually came through the rusted out tower... :o Apparantly when chrysler found out about this, they made a replacement part that body shops could replace on cars under warranty... The part that has the strut tower on it is called the front apron. Apparantly you have to take a third of the car appart to replace them, but if you have the extra parts, time, and patience to do it, you should be able to get it done... As for the body guy, he flat-out refused to even touch mine, because of safety concerns, regarding cutting and welding pieces in... and personally i dont necisarally blame him. I wouldn't trust welded in parts either... Hope this helps...
27907, RE: long winded answer to quick question about strut towers
Posted by EvMan2345, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yea- i wouldnt exactly trust welded/patched strut towers, Last thing u need is to hit a bump and have the suspension go on the highway or something...

Evan B
97 GS- sold
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com
27915, RE: long winded answer to quick question about strut towers
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Id trust a properly welded/repaired strut tower.
its a simple fix
just cut out the old rusted parts and fab up a new plate and weld it in..
27926, RE: long winded answer to quick question about strut towers
Posted by OldGuy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by mcgyvr
Id trust a properly welded/repaired strut tower. its a simple fix just cut out the old rusted parts and fab up a new plate and weld it in..

The operative word here is Properly. I agree. I have welded steering tie bars on a pair of Fire fighting tractors we used on the carrier. (Poor design from factory caused break) Almost 1.75" thick solid bar. The tractor weighed in at almost 16K lbs. No tractor, no flight ops. Point is, IF it is welded properly the welded joint is stronger than the surrounding metal. It is possible to do if you have a good welder to do it for you. What do you feel comfortable with?
I generated this page in 0.010308027267456 seconds, executing 7 queries.