Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137964
View in threaded mode

Subject: "no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
CastleJun-29-13 12:56 PM
Member since Mar 19th 2013
22 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137964, "no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?"

Hello all I live in LI NY.

I purchased a 1995 Eclipse GS mt. She had bent rod so I changed the engine with a jnk yard special. From what I see she has a obx intake Manny and some sort of exhuast set up all the way back. I replaced all timing components except oil pump. Crank, cam, knock(middle sensor backside).
So I fired her up and put 2500 miles on her and the whole time the b1 sensor 2 kept coming on and of, until recently. And the whole time at idle the rpm jumps around between 800 and 1100. So I was about a half an hour driving down the highway and she was sputtering, popping, like she shut off. Codes 1390 and I forgot the other two codes number, coil primary no signal and secondary no signal or intermittent. Nowthe cars completely dead, sorry I mean cranks and no start.

So I have checked the following; crank sensor, now as per the Haynes manual the terminals on the connector read from left looking at the sensor, terminal 1 signal(blue/white). terminal 2 power supply(yellow). terminal 3 ground(black/green). If I'm wrong please correct me. The person who owned the car before me had terminal 1 Signal, terminal 2 ground and 3 power.
I get a supply voltage of 9 volts to crank sensor from ecu with my truck trying to jump it.
I get a signal of 8.3 volts from ecu to crank sensor.
Changed asd and fpr, still Dick.
When testing voltage at middle coil plug wire it goes 12v to ground in two secs.
Back to asd, red and white wire is dead no ground or juice Coming out of ecu, I send ground to it relay clicks. steady 12v to middle wire for coil. Trying starting nothing.
FPr juice(12v) to white and red and once I ground it relay kicks on and fuel pump Runs.
Next I ground fpr and asd still no start.

I'm about to stick a rag in the tank and light that bitch up. Lol

Is there another place the asd and fuel relay wires go besides ecu and crank, maybe in the cab?

So if any budding could help me out I would appreciate it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
CastleJul-01-13 07:00 PM
22 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137969, "RE: no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?"
In response to Reply # 0

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the crankshaft position sensors terminals. Thanks again

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorxcasbonxJul-02-13 06:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#137971, "RE: no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?"
In response to Reply # 1

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=ECU_Pinout

Use these links as a guide. You said the car is a 95 right?...and you put a junkyard motor in it right? If you didn't know, some of the cars sensors pinouts vary in pin design (flat pin vs. round pin). So you can see how the wiring can get a bit confusing.

Regardless of year, you should go by wire COLOR. You sound like you know what you're doing when you were describing the wire colors with the crank sensor. Most likely you need to test the circuit completely and check for faulty wiring. My guess is a ground is being interrupted somewhere due to faulty/brittle wiring or loose connector wiring between the crank sensor and the coil plug.

I contributed to the Wiki.

CastleJul-02-13 07:26 AM
22 posts,
#137973, "RE: no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for responding.

1) Okay so when I installed the engine I had put a new crankshaft position pigtail in her. I just coppied the orignal connector, but I was wondering if the previous owner messed with the wires on the original. That's why I was inquiring about what terminal is what. I wired to what the Haynes manual said. I wonder if the wires where messed up would it mess up the new crank sensor?

2) So basically I checked all grounds for ecu, every ground is good. I guess I will inspect the wires from crank to ecu to asd to coil?

3) Idk if this helps but I disconnected the crank sensor and I still had 8.3 volts coming out of signal to crank.

ModeratorxcasbonxJul-02-13 08:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#137974, "RE: no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Castle
Thanks for responding. 1) Okay so when I installed the engine I had put a new crankshaft position pigtail in her. I just coppied the orignal connector, but I was wondering if the previous owner messed with the wires on the original. That's why I was inquiring about what terminal is what. I wired to what the Haynes manual said. I wonder if the wires where messed up would it mess up the new crank sensor?

As long as you copied the connections from the old to the new in the same order, you should be fine.

2) So basically I checked all grounds for ecu, every ground is good. I guess I will inspect the wires from crank to ecu to asd to coil?

Good plan. You described that the car cranks over fine, but no spark. Somewhere along the line between crank sensor, coil, ASD relay you have some sort of interference that is not getting the proper signal to fire the coils. Out of curiosity, do you have a spare coil you can try to use just to rule that out? Need to verify you have power to the coil (middle wire on coil plug), ground, and a signal reference. If you have all 3 of those, the car should technically be getting spark and start.

3) Idk if this helps but I disconnected the crank sensor and I still had 8.3 volts coming out of signal to crank.

Normal. Test the wire at the ecu and then by the sensor. Verify you have an 8v+ reference on both ends. If you don't, then the wire between those two points has a fault in it and you should run a new wire.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

CastleJul-02-13 09:46 AM
22 posts,
#137976, "RE: no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?"
In response to Reply # 4

1) okay I originally copied what the old plug was when I spliced in new pigtail. But I started reading the Haynes manual and also read that same ecu pinout u sent me earlier. And they made sense. What was on the car made no sense. buit did run for 2k + miles. i According to ecu pin out and Haynes manual power should b yellow and signal blue with white stripe and ground black and green stripe. The old plug had had the ground and juice in the wrong spots.
I called a mitsu dealer and they are gonna get back to me on propper wiring.

2) middle wire on coil pack went 12v two seconds later ground. My next thing I did was jummped a ground from the battery to asd red/ white stripe, and relay clicked, but still no fuel pump. So I left the asd jumped and then I jumped fuel pump relay(white with red stripe, 12v) to ground relay clicked and now fuel pump is on. Pressed Schrader valve on fuel rail, sprayed all over, just wanted to see if anything was coming out. So now fuel pump and All coil wires are 12v hot, oh and I hooked up one of those inline spark plug testers to see if I have juice going to plug. Tried starting and no spark to plug, but everything has juice.

3) crankshaft position sensor, checked Signal from ecu and at sensor connector both 8.3.

ModeratorxcasbonxJul-02-13 10:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#137977, "RE: no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?"
In response to Reply # 5

1) okay I originally copied what the old plug was when I spliced in new pigtail. But I started reading the Haynes manual and also read that same ecu pinout u sent me earlier. And they made sense. What was on the car made no sense. buit did run for 2k + miles. i According to ecu pin out and Haynes manual power should b yellow and signal blue with white stripe and ground black and green stripe. The old plug had had the ground and juice in the wrong spots. I called a mitsu dealer and they are gonna get back to me on propper wiring.

Haynes states it correct, as well as the ECU pinout. Yellow power, blue/white stripe signal, black/green stripe ground.

2) middle wire on coil pack went 12v two seconds later ground. My next thing I did was jummped a ground from the battery to asd red/ white stripe, and relay clicked, but still no fuel pump. So I left the asd jumped and then I jumped fuel pump relay(white with red stripe, 12v) to ground relay clicked and now fuel pump is on. Pressed Schrader valve on fuel rail, sprayed all over, just wanted to see if anything was coming out. So now fuel pump and All coil wires are 12v hot, oh and I hooked up one of those inline spark plug testers to see if I have juice going to plug. Tried starting and no spark to plug, but everything has juice.

Like I said in the previous post, if you have the power/signal/grounds good then you should be getting spark. Check these 3 at the coil plug as well, just like you did with the crankshaft position sensor. If all is good, I suspect a faulty coilpack. Otherwise I'm not sure what else to tell you.

3) crankshaft position sensor, checked Signal from ecu and at sensor connector both 8.3.

Well that's good. I would try swapping out the coil then.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-02-13 10:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#137978, "RE: no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by xcasbonx
I would try swapping out the coil then.

Sounds like a coil to me.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

CastleJul-02-13 10:36 AM
22 posts,
#137979, "RE: no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?"
In response to Reply # 7

U think the coil is the the reason that I'm not getting ground to the asd and for? I ordered one two days ago and denso 02 sensors.

CastleJul-02-13 10:37 AM
22 posts,
#137980, "RE: no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?"
In response to Reply # 8

Sorry I meant "fpr" not "for".

CastleJul-02-13 10:43 AM
22 posts,
#137981, "RE: no spark, no fuel priming. ecm?"
In response to Reply # 7

If it was just the coil pack the whole time I'm gonna be so Pissed! Lol. Okay cool I will let u guys know what happens when I get the coil pack and wires. Thanks again. Really mean it.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137964 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic