Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137066
View in threaded mode

Subject: "More WHP" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
nate2013Jul-09-12 12:54 AM
Member since Jul 08th 2012
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137066, "More WHP"

Hey guys, I am new to the whole tuning thing. I have a 97 eagle talon Base model and want it to get faster. I have the Exhaust and Air intake done, and wondering what else I can do to get more WHP.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
AdministratorCODE4Jul-09-12 03:13 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137067, "RE: More WHP"
In response to Reply # 0

First learn and understand the layout of the forum. Second, take a moment to introduce yourself in the appropriate section.

Like any platform, modifications that reduce drag on the motor or increase fuel/air consumption will net you horsepower.

Search the wiki & prior posts for modification ideas. This is by no means a new platform - any mod you can think of is likely been done or attempted. Again, search. Blindly asking such a general question without any critical thought is not a good way to start out here.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

gingerw00ki3Jul-09-12 07:45 AM
Member since Jun 22nd 2012
15 posts,
#137068, "RE: More WHP"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by nate2013
Hey guys, I am new to the whole tuning thing. I have a 97 eagle talon Base model and want it to get faster. I have the Exhaust and Air intake done, and wondering what else I can do to get more WHP.

Welcome... Meet code4...

Depends on how much you plan on spending on it. A Hahn turbo kit will go for around 3k. You'll need a port fueler system which will set you back about $750. The simple stuff now that you'll need later on down the road is a high flow fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and a wideband. Now these will not do a whole lot for your power level, they're not that expensive and you will need them later on for higher power levels. Are you planning on going N/A or boosted? How much power are you looking to make?

fast420a83Jul-09-12 07:52 AM
Member since Mar 18th 2012
86 posts,
#137069, "RE: More WHP"
In response to Reply # 1

Don't buy bolt ons (unless its an exhaust) It is a waste of money. In the end you will only have a few horsepower over stock, and wish you had more power.. Save your money and just buy a Hahn Racecraft turbo kit.

Double check all your coolant and oil lines....., before you take off and see a cloud of smoke behind you!

740 turbo brickJul-09-12 06:00 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#137070, "RE: More WHP"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by fast420a83
Don't buy bolt ons (unless its an exhaust) It is a waste of money. In the end you will only have a few horsepower over stock, and wish you had more power.. Save your money and just buy a Hahn Racecraft turbo kit.

Just because you went turbo doesnt mean bolt ons are a waste of money. Some people dont want crazy built cars. They just want a peppy daily driver, which is where a CAI, Header, Catback, 60mm TB, and UDP come in. Those are all the mods I would do to a car I just wanted to drive to work/store and have fun doing it.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

gingerw00ki3Jul-09-12 06:23 PM
Member since Jun 22nd 2012
15 posts,
#137071, "RE: More WHP"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Originally posted by fast420a83 Don't buy bolt ons (unless its an exhaust) It is a waste of money. In the end you will only have a few horsepower over stock, and wish you had more power.. Save your money and just buy a Hahn Racecraft turbo kit.
Just because you went turbo doesnt mean bolt ons are a waste of money. Some people dont want crazy built cars. They just want a peppy daily driver, which is where a CAI, Header, Catback, 60mm TB, and UDP come in. Those are all the mods I would do to a car I just wanted to drive to work/store and have fun doing it.

Hey... Stage 2 cams would be a nice addition... I've seen a set of 254's for about $350

740 turbo brickJul-10-12 05:42 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#137090, "RE: More WHP"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by gingerw00ki3
Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Originally posted by fast420a83 Don't buy bolt ons (unless its an exhaust) It is a waste of money. In the end you will only have a few horsepower over stock, and wish you had more power.. Save your money and just buy a Hahn Racecraft turbo kit.
Hey... Stage 2 cams would be a nice addition... I've seen a set of 254's for about $350

True, though with a stock ECU it does take away from the lower end a little, and you wont see the gains that you would with MS with them.

And stage 2 Crower Cams are 240/240. Crower 3s are 254/250.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

fast420a83Jul-11-12 03:19 PM
86 posts,
#137108, "RE: More WHP"
In response to Reply # 2

Forget the bolt ons!.. I've gone that route more than a few times, and in the end you will always want more. So.. just accumulate parts for a turbo build. Everyone here knows simple bolt ons are a waste, and only net you 5-10hp. Unless your plan is to go all motor then dont do it. The car is already peppy stock, and your not gonna win any races with the bolt ons.

Double check all your coolant and oil lines....., before you take off and see a cloud of smoke behind you!

AdministratorCODE4Jul-11-12 03:21 PM
2552 posts,
#137109, "RE: More WHP"
In response to Reply # 7

Forget the bolt ons!.. I've gone that route more than a few times, and in the end you will always want more. So.. just accumulate parts for a turbo build. Everyone here knows simple bolt ons are a waste, and only net you 5-10hp. Unless your plan is to go all motor then dont do it. The car is already peppy stock, and your not gonna win any races with the bolt ons.

Your post is full of generalizations and a lot of false information.

---

2012 2500HD LML

fast420a83Jul-11-12 04:15 PM
86 posts,
#137117, "RE: More WHP"
In response to Reply # 8

So you think I have no truth to what I am saying?.. Where is the false info. Aren't you turbo?.. Why?.. Cause its a waste of money for the tiny gain, and thats a fact... If for any reason you are reluctant with my advise and still decide to go with the bolt on path then buy all ebay stuff. Name brand won't gain you any more power and you will be flushing you money away for parts that are more important (Plus its not like you will ever get that money back when you sell it).

AdministratorCODE4Jul-11-12 04:23 PM
2552 posts,
#137118, "RE: More WHP"
In response to Reply # 9

So you think I have no truth to what I am saying?.. Where is the false info.

Right here.

Everyone here knows simple bolt ons are a waste, and only net you 5-10hp.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137066 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic