Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectMore WHP
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=137066
137066, More WHP
Posted by nate2013, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys, I am new to the whole tuning thing. I have a 97 eagle talon Base model and want it to get faster. I have the Exhaust and Air intake done, and wondering what else I can do to get more WHP.
137067, RE: More WHP
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
First learn and understand the layout of the forum. Second, take a moment to introduce yourself in the appropriate section.

Like any platform, modifications that reduce drag on the motor or increase fuel/air consumption will net you horsepower.

Search the wiki & prior posts for modification ideas. This is by no means a new platform - any mod you can think of is likely been done or attempted. Again, search. Blindly asking such a general question without any critical thought is not a good way to start out here.
137069, RE: More WHP
Posted by fast420a83, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Don't buy bolt ons (unless its an exhaust) It is a waste of money. In the end you will only have a few horsepower over stock, and wish you had more power.. Save your money and just buy a Hahn Racecraft turbo kit.
137070, RE: More WHP
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by fast420a83
Don't buy bolt ons (unless its an exhaust) It is a waste of money. In the end you will only have a few horsepower over stock, and wish you had more power.. Save your money and just buy a Hahn Racecraft turbo kit.

Just because you went turbo doesnt mean bolt ons are a waste of money. Some people dont want crazy built cars. They just want a peppy daily driver, which is where a CAI, Header, Catback, 60mm TB, and UDP come in. Those are all the mods I would do to a car I just wanted to drive to work/store and have fun doing it.
137071, RE: More WHP
Posted by gingerw00ki3, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Originally posted by fast420a83 Don't buy bolt ons (unless its an exhaust) It is a waste of money. In the end you will only have a few horsepower over stock, and wish you had more power.. Save your money and just buy a Hahn Racecraft turbo kit.
Just because you went turbo doesnt mean bolt ons are a waste of money. Some people dont want crazy built cars. They just want a peppy daily driver, which is where a CAI, Header, Catback, 60mm TB, and UDP come in. Those are all the mods I would do to a car I just wanted to drive to work/store and have fun doing it.

Hey... Stage 2 cams would be a nice addition... I've seen a set of 254's for about $350
137090, RE: More WHP
Originally posted by gingerw00ki3
Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Originally posted by fast420a83 Don't buy bolt ons (unless its an exhaust) It is a waste of money. In the end you will only have a few horsepower over stock, and wish you had more power.. Save your money and just buy a Hahn Racecraft turbo kit.
Hey... Stage 2 cams would be a nice addition... I've seen a set of 254's for about $350

True, though with a stock ECU it does take away from the lower end a little, and you wont see the gains that you would with MS with them.

And stage 2 Crower Cams are 240/240. Crower 3s are 254/250.
137068, RE: More WHP
Originally posted by nate2013
Hey guys, I am new to the whole tuning thing. I have a 97 eagle talon Base model and want it to get faster. I have the Exhaust and Air intake done, and wondering what else I can do to get more WHP.

Welcome... Meet code4...

Depends on how much you plan on spending on it. A Hahn turbo kit will go for around 3k. You'll need a port fueler system which will set you back about $750. The simple stuff now that you'll need later on down the road is a high flow fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and a wideband. Now these will not do a whole lot for your power level, they're not that expensive and you will need them later on for higher power levels. Are you planning on going N/A or boosted? How much power are you looking to make?
137108, RE: More WHP
Forget the bolt ons!.. I've gone that route more than a few times, and in the end you will always want more. So.. just accumulate parts for a turbo build. Everyone here knows simple bolt ons are a waste, and only net you 5-10hp. Unless your plan is to go all motor then dont do it. The car is already peppy stock, and your not gonna win any races with the bolt ons.
137109, RE: More WHP
Forget the bolt ons!.. I've gone that route more than a few times, and in the end you will always want more. So.. just accumulate parts for a turbo build. Everyone here knows simple bolt ons are a waste, and only net you 5-10hp. Unless your plan is to go all motor then dont do it. The car is already peppy stock, and your not gonna win any races with the bolt ons.

Your post is full of generalizations and a lot of false information.
137117, RE: More WHP
So you think I have no truth to what I am saying?.. Where is the false info. Aren't you turbo?.. Why?.. Cause its a waste of money for the tiny gain, and thats a fact... If for any reason you are reluctant with my advise and still decide to go with the bolt on path then buy all ebay stuff. Name brand won't gain you any more power and you will be flushing you money away for parts that are more important (Plus its not like you will ever get that money back when you sell it).
137118, RE: More WHP
So you think I have no truth to what I am saying?.. Where is the false info.

Right here.

Everyone here knows simple bolt ons are a waste, and only net you 5-10hp.

137120, RE: More WHP
Ok maybe 16hp.. Lets say you have intake (3hp), exhaust and header (8hp), and pulley (5 hp). That's still a small gain not worth noticing. Ive done it!.. Thats a fact! and probably spent close to a grand for it. Its a waste!
137122, RE: More WHP
Ok maybe 16hp.. Lets say you have intake (3hp), exhaust and header (8hp), and pulley (5 hp). That's still a small gain not worth noticing. Ive done it!.. Thats a fact! and probably spent close to a grand for it. Its a waste!

Well no wonder you dont like bolt ons, you got ripped THE FUCK off!
Up until my Cams my entire car was bolt ons, Intake, Header, Catback, Coil pack, wires, UDP, TB, spent nowhere near a grand. Just because youd rather dump your money in a turbo kit on a stock engine doesnt mean you need to be preaching that bolt ons are "a waste of money".
137121, RE: More WHP
I seem to remember a guy running 16lbs of boost on stock internals.... Now granted his engine won't last very long... But 8lbs of boost from a rebuilt t-28 is cheap enough with the supporting mods and a good tune. If he wanted to spend the 3K.. He might as well do the evo8/9 engine swap and have jacks do a stage 2 build on his trans...
137124, RE: More WHP
There is no way you didnt spend close to a grand unless you got ebay or used parts.. I had an AEM intake for $150 used, a UDP for $100, header was $250 from Megan racing and $450 for the Megan Racing exhaust. $200 for coil pack and wires. Then $100 for throttle body.. So $1,200 total, and it was a minimal gain... So like I stated before, Look to spend around a grand for around 15hp, unless it's ebay or used parts.
137125, RE: More WHP
There is no way you didnt spend close to a grand unless you got ebay or used parts.. I had an AEM intake for $150 used, a UDP for $100, header was $250 from Megan racing and $450 for the Megan Racing exhaust. $200 for coil pack and wires. Then $100 for throttle body.. So $1,200 total, and it was a minimal gain... So like I stated before, Look to spend around a grand for around 15hp, unless it's ebay or used parts.

Ebay polished CAI :$30
SRT-4 UDP: $50
OBX header: $200
SRS Catback:$200
MSD Coil and wire combo: $100
60mm TB: $100

$670. No one said you had to buy new or brand name bolt ons. In fact, I think in another thread you said the name brand stuff is the same as the cheap stuff. And if you really got that butt hurt from bolt on gains to preach against them, your butt dyno must be in need of calibration. I started with a completely stock 95 Eclipse, ran a 17.5 at the track. Buying one mod a paycheck, or whenever I felt like working on my car, I went from a terribly slow and quiet Eclipse to a fun to drive car, that ran 16.2s at the track, and made some nice and non obnoxious engine noises.

But I suppose youre right, its much more realistic and ideal for a 15-17 yr old to buy a mod here and there, but to drop 3k on a turbo kit. I forgot, some of us dont have mommy and daddy buying our cars.
137126, RE: More WHP
Also to add to this, just an UDP and TB is sufficient to add enough throttle response to make you grin while entering freeway on ramps.
137127, RE: More WHP
Of course they're used/eBay parts. $50 for cold air (an actual cold air in the fender well) obx headers used $50. Catback N1 knockoff $100. I pulled my TB and had a local machine shop port to 62mm $40 and included a larger plate. Walboro 255 $100. FPR $50 ( I've had the same one on my 383 stroker for 3 years and no spikes/problems) AEM wideband $100 Craigslist. MS1x $150 eBay. Yeah they're meaningless without boosting it, but you're going to want them if you boost it anyway. Thanks to the guy that straightened me out with the cam specs. I was looking at a set of stage 3 crower's for mine before I sold it...
137128, RE: More WHP
Well, first off I dont need to have my dad buy anything for me cause I am 29, son. Ive probably had more import cars that ive wrenched on than you have had girlfriends. Second, bolt ons are never gonna keep anyone happy. You are lying to yourself, and any newbie here, if you would be happy with a bolt on set up and call it a day. Hell, You even have a mild built motor, and I bet your even itching for a turbo set up (and yes I could feel a power increase, but it was by no means a grinning experience.)
137217, RE: More WHP
Posted by electrohead, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
First off, regardless of someone's decision here between NA or boost, we should be a bit more constructive. I'm still NA and I got the basics (AEM V2, 60mm TB, Greddy Header, Tsudo catback, Accel coil) and picked most of the stuff for a steal right off this forum. I'm content right now with the engine mods, and have been for quite a while.

Being happy with a car is more than power numbers to throw around. Everyone has different goals and ideas of what makes a car fun. To me, it's hitting back roads with a vengence at 2am. To others, it's having a car to cruise around in blasting music. And other people like the kick of boost.

Most of us know how some people like to start shit for us for having the "wrong" engine, so why act the same way towards someone's choice to stay NA? We got kids in high school all the way to married people with kids of their own on this forum, and this forum has always maintained a repectful atmosphere between the new guys and the veterans. Don't screw that up.

Opinions are appreciated, arrogance ...not so much.
137222, RE: More WHP
Posted by Fotowntalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well, first off I dont need to have my dad buy anything for me cause I am 29, son. Ive probably had more import cars that ive wrenched on than you have had girlfriends. Second, bolt ons are never gonna keep anyone happy. You are lying to yourself, and any newbie here, if you would be happy with a bolt on set up and call it a day. Hell, You even have a mild built motor, and I bet your even itching for a turbo set up (and yes I could feel a power increase, but it was by no means a grinning experience.)

By your logic, its dumb to even modify a 4 banger. We should all just start out with a big block chevy V8 Monster.
I generated this page in 0.01265811920166 seconds, executing 7 queries.