Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #2178
View in linear mode

Subject: "Starting a Restoration" Previous topic | Next topic
KinziesRocketApr-03-12 06:14 AM
Member since Apr 02nd 2012
0 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2178, "Starting a Restoration"

Hello all! I am new to DSMs, and am working on a 95 GS in my back yard. Belonged to my special lady friend Heather who died last August. I am going over it with a fine tooth comb, fixing and modifying everything so that in a few years when her daughter Mackinzie turns 16 I will be giving her the keys to her mom's car. Of course, she thinks that's a great idea, and is going to help me with stuff so she gets to know the car well and can fix things herself if needed. I'm keeping the auto tranny, but looking at headers, intakes, better brakes and suspension, lights, and new interior. I'd post a photo if I knew how! I already have a RHD Triumph TR6 that I have restored and drive around, so no stranger to grease and skinned knuckles. I'll be on here a lot looking at the FAQs I think, and maybe asking the occasional dumb #### question, so take it easy on me, ok?

john

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Starting a Restoration, Dstach, Apr-03-12 08:41 AM, #1
RE: Starting a Restoration, 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-03-12 09:16 AM, #2
      RE: Starting a Restoration, KinziesRocket, Apr-04-12 08:47 PM, #3
           RE: Starting a Restoration, Dstach, Apr-04-12 08:56 PM, #4
                RE: Starting a Restoration, KinziesRocket, Apr-05-12 02:40 AM, #5
                     RE: Starting a Restoration, Dstach, Apr-05-12 10:21 AM, #6
                          RE: Starting a Restoration, KinziesRocket, Apr-05-12 06:01 PM, #7
                               RE: Starting a Restoration, Dstach, Apr-05-12 06:05 PM, #8

DstachApr-03-12 08:41 AM
Member since Dec 04th 2010
276 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2179, "RE: Starting a Restoration"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-03-12 08:42 AM by Dstach

Sounds like a great cause! http://www.2gnt.com/view_all_pages.php This is the wiki/ faq page. There are a few brake upgrades you can do like the gsx or vr4 upgrade. With the intake make sure you get a cold air that pipes it out of the way. I had one that was a kinda short pipe and had 20-30 degree hotter intake temps over stock. Best looking interior in my opinion is full black gsx interior.

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)
89 Honda Crx (Drag car project)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420agreenvilleSCApr-03-12 09:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#2180, "RE: Starting a Restoration"
In response to Reply # 1

awesome project! good luck!

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

KinziesRocketApr-04-12 08:47 PM
0 posts,
#2186, "RE: Starting a Restoration"
In response to Reply # 2

Yes, cold air intake is on the list. There are three priorities here - little girl wants loud stereo boombox, grandparents she lives with want a sock in the air intake to cut down on horsepower, and MY priorities are to make it really safe for a teen. Much better brakes, stronger headlights, comfy racing seats that are designed to withstand any high-G crash that she hopefully will not be in ever. I think I'll pass on the deafening stereo for now.

Lots for me to learn and happily, enough time to do it all properly. I'm thankful for knowledgeable and helpful forums!

Mackinzie's favourite colour is red, the same as her mother's was, so the red car is what she wants. I think I'll do the interior in red carpet and red/black seats. Gets pretty hot here in the summer, and a black interior, though classy, would be a killer. I'm even considering unique touches like vertical Lamborghini doors and heads-up display projector. She will have the most fun car in the school parking lot at any rate!

As we sat in the car one day deciding what should be done, she pulled down the passenger sun visor as she always does in my car to check herself in the mirror, and we found her mom's lip prints on it. At some point Heather had put on lipstick and kissed the mirror. It was a heart-stop moment for us both. I'm removing the visor to put in a shadow-box frame to save for Kinzie and buying a new one.

Stay tuned for progress reports...

DstachApr-04-12 08:56 PM
276 posts,
#2187, "RE: Starting a Restoration"
In response to Reply # 3

For safety I wouldn't get the lambo doors plus its not big in the DSM world. How is keeping the red carpet clean? and true it will get a hot interior will all black. I just got some better headlights. Hid 4500k to make it a slightly more stock look. Just hope they can adjust enough to not blind others.

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)

KinziesRocketApr-05-12 02:40 AM
0 posts,
#2188, "RE: Starting a Restoration"
In response to Reply # 4

Lambo doors more inclined to reduce passenger safety? Well, that's more important to me than fashion in the high school parking lot....

I'm reading up on HID lamps as well, trying to get an understanding of things before spending any bucks.

The red rug may or may not be easy to keep clean, but I'll get some darker throw carpets to put in front of seats. The old stuff is just too hopeless, and looks to have had some bleach or something spilled, perhaps on the way to the laundromat. Can't make it look good, whatever I do.

The more I research, the more good ideas come along!

DstachApr-05-12 10:21 AM
276 posts,
#2189, "RE: Starting a Restoration"
In response to Reply # 5

I would think it would. Exotic cars design their door to open that way. Ours were designed to open well how it does now. Just putting those hinges in would make me fear if a crash does happen she can be stuck. Make sure you don't get ebay hids. They don't last. I'm trying DDM Tuning now to see how they are. They are truly Apexcone so maybe they are good. There are alot of ideas out there. Did you look at cardomain for any ideas?

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)

KinziesRocketApr-05-12 06:01 PM
0 posts,
#2193, "RE: Starting a Restoration"
In response to Reply # 6

Haven't hit cardomain yet, but I will. I have not seen many good reviews to ebay stuff. I would much rather pay a higher price to get quality gear, low price is not my top consideration when shopping. I looked at DDM and am interested in their lights. Just don't want to put something in the car that will have other drivers flashing lights all the time! I want the best illumination available without annoying anyone else!

DstachApr-05-12 06:05 PM
276 posts,
#2194, "RE: Starting a Restoration"
In response to Reply # 7

That's what I'm going to test. Ill let you know. Others did it and it wasn't to bad.

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)

Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #2178 Previous topic | Next topic