Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #1894
View in linear mode

Subject: "new to the jdm/dsm scene" Previous topic | Next topic
hernandoJan-18-11 10:44 AM
Member since Jan 18th 2011
29 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1894, "new to the jdm/dsm scene"

I recently bought a 1998 eclipse RS with NO CLUE to what is under the hood than a turbo kit that looks pretty impressive. i believe it might be a star turbo kit due to the exhaust manifold being stamped with "star". it has a delta waste gate and a hks blow off valve with a aluminum intercooler and has tenzo R mean 6 17" rims with greddy exhaust. I believe the turbo is a T3/4 turbonetics. has these two extra gauges for air to fuel ratio and boost psi. it also has this lcd for the computer on it. The suspension is either cut or aftermarket as well...its painted red, i have a friend thats ase certified and he told me that it's edlebrock suspension. it sits so low than when a flat bed tow truck tried to tow it they couldn't(o.O anti theft feature??). I know the engine is a 2.0L DOHC but the computer see's it as a 1.8L...it lags @ 3500 rpm and 5000rpm. i think the engine and turbo need to be tuned again. i live in southern california and hope someone could help me figure this car out...i know it has potential n its y i bought it. $1900 Its missing the speed sensor and airflow sensor.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, Black_Eclipse, Jan-18-11 11:04 AM, #1
RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, hernando, Jan-20-11 01:11 PM, #4
RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, Fallen4ng31, Jan-19-11 08:42 AM, #2
RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, hernando, Jan-20-11 01:23 PM, #5
RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-19-11 02:49 PM, #3
RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, hernando, Jan-20-11 01:30 PM, #6
      RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-20-11 01:37 PM, #7
           RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, jdm1990, Jan-23-11 12:56 AM, #8
           RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, hernando, Jan-25-11 05:34 PM, #11
           RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, hernando, Jan-25-11 05:35 PM, #12
RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, hernando, Jan-25-11 05:31 PM, #9
RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, hernando, Jan-25-11 05:33 PM, #10
      RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, JoshDSM, Jan-25-11 05:39 PM, #13
           RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, hernando, Jan-25-11 05:47 PM, #14
                RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, jdm1990, Jan-25-11 07:28 PM, #15
                     RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, hernando, Jan-26-11 11:25 AM, #16
                          RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, jdm1990, Jan-26-11 03:03 PM, #17
                               RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, likuitn, Mar-30-11 10:17 PM, #18
                                    RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, hernando, Mar-31-11 10:27 AM, #19
                                         RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene, hernando, Mar-31-11 10:29 AM, #20

Black_EclipseJan-18-11 11:04 AM
Member since Mar 08th 2010
8 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1895, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 0

First off, Welcome. Second off, what airflow sensor are you referring to? The 420a uses a MAP sensor rather than a MAF sensor. Also, what computer are you referring to? You mentioned something about an lcd screen for a computer and that the computer reads the engine as a 1.8L? As far as I know, there should be no reason for the engine to appear as a 1.8L on anything.

Again, welcome and we will do our best to help you out.

Built and Boosted...but usually broken..'sigh'

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

hernandoJan-20-11 01:11 PM
29 posts,
#1898, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 1

ty, i've looked over the vehicle and was told it doesnt need an air sensor but the guy who sold me it said it did. the airflow ratio gauge works but the boost guage doesn't...so its probably a wiring issue? the lcd screen says gogreddy, might be a GReddy PRofec e-01 Multi Display Boost Controller? thats where it says the engine is 1800cc yet the valve cover says 2.0L. im wondering if this car came with a star stage 2 turbo kit....ive seen a simliar gs with just about all the same parts and it had that kit installed.

Fallen4ng31Jan-19-11 08:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#1896, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by hernando
it also has this lcd for the computer on it. The suspension is either cut or aftermarket as well...its painted red, i have a friend thats ase certified and he told me that it's edlebrock suspension. it sits so low than when a flat bed tow truck tried to tow it they couldn't(o.O anti theft feature??). I know the engine is a 2.0L DOHC but the computer see's it as a 1.8L...it lags @ 3500 rpm and 5000rpm. i think the engine and turbo need to be tuned again. i live in southern california and hope someone could help me figure this car out...i know it has potential n its y i bought it. $1900 Its missing the speed sensor and airflow sensor.

Welcome!

Let's get this out of the way first; There is nothing "JDM" about your car. At all. Using that acronym around this site is likely to attract unwanted attention. Fair warning. Try to exercise proper grammar and punctuation and the members are far more likely to help you, rather than harass you.

The "LCD"... You're going to need to be more specific (And make a separate post in the turbo section.) on what this is, if you're looking for help with it. Is it an SAFC or similar device? It could be anything by your description.

Edelbrock does not make suspension components for these cars, if memory serves. They cater primarily to the GM/Ford/Chrysler V8 crowd.
Come to think of it, they don't make much for these cars period.

420a powered cars don't use mass airflow sensors, but rather manifold absolute pressure sensors.

Please make posts with your questions in the appropriate forums. There are stickies to guide you. And again, Welcome!

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

hernandoJan-20-11 01:23 PM
29 posts,
#1899, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 2

>.< feel like such a newbie but heh, thanks for the guidance. i thought it was cuz of the mitsubishi name. the lcd says greddy which i think is a GReddy Profec e-01. they look identical with the same remote. im starting to wonder if this car came with a star stage 2 turbo kit. ive seen a 97 gs with almost the exact same parts as my rs.

haha true that, well maybe the springs were cut. i haven't had any problems with them except with ANY curbs or dips. sometimes i bottom out the car -_-

well i know the air/fuel ratio gauge works cause its constantly bouncing around during cruise, lean on idle and rich when accelerating. so i want to believe the map sensor works but that leaves the boost gauge. thats not working...wiring issue? sensor?

also the engine dies sometimes...and won't start. ive had to push start it once and play with the clutch to get it to start sometimes.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-19-11 02:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1897, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 0

The hesitation near 3800 RPM is most likely due to fuel cut. Search the forum and wiki for "FCD", "Missing link" and "fuel cut" for more info.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

hernandoJan-20-11 01:30 PM
29 posts,
#1900, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 3

thanks, my friend did say i might have the fuel cuts because of the leaks of the turbo. missing a metal hose clamp.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-20-11 01:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1901, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 6
Jan-20-11 01:37 PM by DarkOne

Originally posted by hernando
thanks, my friend did say i might have the fuel cuts because of the leaks of the turbo. missing a metal hose clamp.

That won't cause fuel cut on a 420A car. The ECU seeing positive pressure will.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

jdm1990Jan-23-11 12:56 AM
Member since Jun 19th 2010
76 posts,
#1908, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 7

If it helps I have a Missing link

However, welcome, and get some pictures up!!

hernandoJan-25-11 05:34 PM
29 posts,
#1920, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 8

im in souther cal, heh, how would i get it and i have no clue where to look...so far its been a bad luck project but i want this car!!

hernandoJan-25-11 05:35 PM
29 posts,
#1921, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 7

i'll look into the ecu....haven't really messed with it cause i dont know how to reverse whatever i might change. >.<

hernandoJan-25-11 05:31 PM
29 posts,
#1918, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 0

i've added a link to a pic of my car, don't know if anyone can see it. currently i can't smog it due to the egr valve not being connected, transmission is being weird...have to pump the clutch to start the car, the valve cover breather needs to be attached to the intake and i need to find the part number??...for the star stage 2 turbo kit thats installed in my car so it CAN be smogged checked. i have 30days till my temporary permit expires

hernandoJan-25-11 05:33 PM
29 posts,
#1919, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 9

here's a pic of the turbo kit installed...i know im missing a c clamp for my airfilter, getting that today.

JoshDSMJan-25-11 05:39 PM
Member since Aug 29th 2010
69 posts,
#1922, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 10

shes pretty clean, should paint the valve cover a purple like the car. still stock internals?

hernandoJan-25-11 05:47 PM
29 posts,
#1923, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 13

as far as i know, yes. she's blowing a lil white smoke here n there so thinking of a) rebuild or b) use thicker oil....might go with b due to the fact i have no other ride atm...blew the engines on the other 2 cars due to mechanical failure of the parts(14+yrs old n never rebuilt). usually on the 5 or 15 from sd to orange or riverside.

jdm1990Jan-25-11 07:28 PM
76 posts,
#1924, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 14

looks clean on the outside man, congrats! But if i'm not mistaken, isn't white smoke normally coolant burning? I thought blue smoke was burning oil and white was coolant?

hernandoJan-26-11 11:25 AM
29 posts,
#1925, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 15

was told to use thicker oil and it has reduced it a lot. comes out a tiny bit now n can only be seen if you stare at the tail pipe. hoping to repaint, change the hood(because its scratched heavly), fix the interior and do everything right under neath the hood.

jdm1990Jan-26-11 03:03 PM
76 posts,
#1926, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 16

Sounds like a plan man. I'm with you tho. I would start cleaning up the bay aswell. (no offense ofcourse).

likuitnMar-30-11 10:17 PM
Member since Oct 23rd 2008
6 posts,
#1986, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 17

welcome, stick to it man. Where in SoCal are you!?.

hernandoMar-31-11 10:27 AM
29 posts,
#1987, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 18

honestly...all over southern cali. san diego, riverside, san bernadino, orange, and los angeles. the car is smogged and it has its plates...just trying to find places to get parts and a hand to help me work on it. i am currently leaking exhaust due the waste gate gasket being blown off and its in need of a tune. turbo city has been a waste of my time. i would of had this new g37s but due to no tune plus leak...it got me after 6k rpm cuz i dont go over that till i fix the car.

hernandoMar-31-11 10:29 AM
29 posts,
#1988, "RE: new to the jdm/dsm scene"
In response to Reply # 19

she's up and running but needs tune and fix of turbo leaks.

Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #1894 Previous topic | Next topic