Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #1838
View in linear mode

Subject: "New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY" Previous topic | Next topic
neonglhDec-10-10 02:24 PM
Member since Dec 10th 2010
20 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1838, "New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY"

I am new here to the site, and thought I would show this project car I bought. I have been racing neons and Evos for years now, and I just bough this 420A from a local forum, to fix up and then sell. Here is a little write-up I did for the car:

Not much was known about the car, other than the fact that the compression test is fine, but the leakdown is bad on cylinder 4, but I have since found out a bunch of info. The car does drive nicely though, and sounds bad ass with the cams in it!

First off, here are some pics:

Two owners ago, the car was turbo'd by Rick (Bald Turbo Freak). I contacted him, and found out a lot about the car. Anything he didn't know, I was able to look up parts and find out what all the car had. Here is a breakdown of what it has as it currently sits:

Engine:

<*> BC 272 cams
<*> Bald Turbo Freak ported head
<*> AEM Tru Time adjustable cam gears(-2 degree exhaust, -4 degree intake)
<*>Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Crank Pulley

Transmission:

<*> B&M short throw shifter

Turbo:

<*> Garrett GT3071R-WG, internally gated turbo
<*> Godspeed front mount intercooler
<*> Bald Turbo Freak intercooler piping
<*> Bald Turbo Freak cold air intake
<*> Blitz blow off valve
<*> Bald Turbo Freak ported intake manifold
<*> Bald Turbo Freak ported, cast log exhaust manifold with T3 adapter
<*> Bald Turbo Freak 3" downpipe and turboback exhaust

Electronics:

<*> Innovate LC-1 wideband sensor
<*> MS1 megasquirt piggyback

Wheels/Tires:

<*> V6 Mustang wheels with 205/65/15 Hakka 2 snow tires
<*> Tenzo wheels and tires

Suspension:

<*> Tokico shocks with some orange lowering springs

Body:

<*> VIS carbon fiber hood

The car is 100% rust free, and even the rubber under the hood is in perfect condition. Here is a shot of the engine bay (I have no clue why the 30R is blue).

My goal is to fix it up as nice as I can, and then either sell it as a whole, or part it out for the best profit. It could be a replacement for the SRT if I got it nice enough, but I think it will most likely just be a project / investment.

Should be fun to mess with, and it's certainly nice not messing with a rusty pile!

--mark

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-10-10 02:53 PM, #1
RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY, neonglh, Dec-10-10 03:23 PM, #2
      RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-10-10 03:42 PM, #3
RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY, Shake_Zulla, Dec-10-10 04:00 PM, #4
RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY, Shake_Zulla, Dec-10-10 04:05 PM, #5
      RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY, 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-10-10 05:43 PM, #6
           RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY, neonglh, Dec-11-10 10:57 AM, #8
RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY, dalesmitsu, Dec-11-10 03:06 AM, #7

AdministratorCODE4Dec-10-10 02:53 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1839, "RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY"
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-10-10 02:56 PM by CODE4

Interesting way to route the IC pipe, and especially the BOV.

And do you have the part number for those BC 272 cams? Unless they are custom grinds for the 420a head, the previous owner is lying. Brian Crower does not make cams for the front exhaust setup for the Eclipse 420a.

Welcome to the site.

Originally posted by neonglh
Tokico shocks with some orange lowering springs

And this is hilarious! Is that the technical description?

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

neonglhDec-10-10 03:23 PM
20 posts,
#1840, "RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by CODE4
Interesting way to route the IC pipe, and especially the BOV. And do you have the part number for those BC 272 cams? Unless they are custom grinds for the 420a head, the previous owner is lying. Brian Crower does not make cams for the front exhaust setup for the Eclipse 420a. Welcome to the site.
Originally posted by neonglh Tokico shocks with some orange lowering springs
And this is hilarious! Is that the technical description?

I spoke with the shop that built the car, and he told me it was a set of 272 BC cams. I will have the head off of the car, and check then for some grind marks to verify. Who knows what they are, but they are definitely aftermarket.

And yeah, not sure why they put the BOV on the hot side. The car made decent power like 5 years ago though, so I am sure it can work.

And yeah, no clue who made the springs, there are no markings on them, but they are bright orange, hah. The only other set of orange springs that I found online are Megan Racing, but I can't verify that this is what these are.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-10-10 03:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1841, "RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY"
In response to Reply # 2

If i remember right, the original owner was a member here. You may be able to find some info on the can searching old posts.

I think I've seen a similar name on the Solstice forum, too. No idea if its the same guy though.

Welcome to 2GNT!

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Shake_ZullaDec-10-10 04:00 PM
Member since Dec 03rd 2010
42 posts,
#1842, "RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by neonglh
My goal is to fix it up as nice as I can, and then either sell it as a whole, or part it out for the best profit.

So your goal is to fix the leakdown problem and then... looks pretty damn clean to me. Of course you could shave the spoiler off!!! Some 2gb side skirts would look nice too. BTW I noticed a little spot on your intake manifold... could use some cleaning to match the condition of the rest of the car.

96 RS
95 Toyota pickup - 8" lift, 33's (sold)
07 Toyota tacoma - TRD Sport
13 Ford Fusion

I like logic more when it travels in circles.

Shake_ZullaDec-10-10 04:05 PM
Member since Dec 03rd 2010
42 posts,
#1843, "RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY"
In response to Reply # 4

Oh yeah and welcome to the forum... how rude of me.

96 RS
95 Toyota pickup - 8" lift, 33's (sold)
07 Toyota tacoma - TRD Sport
13 Ford Fusion

I like logic more when it travels in circles.

420agreenvilleSCDec-10-10 05:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#1844, "RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY"
In response to Reply # 5

welcome

that o2 sure is close to the hot side...

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

neonglhDec-11-10 10:57 AM
20 posts,
#1852, "RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
welcome that o2 sure is close to the hot side...

It's a hell of a lot closer on my Evo exhaust than it is on the 2g!

dalesmitsuDec-11-10 03:06 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#1845, "RE: New to the site, GT3071R 420A from Rochester, NY"
In response to Reply # 0

welcome

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #1838 Previous topic | Next topic