Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #182
View in linear mode

Subject: "Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat" Previous topic | Next topic
NoogaboxFeb-08-08 01:50 PM
Member since Feb 01st 2008
96 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#182, "Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"

Hello All. Well I am farely new to Mitubishi / DSM Community. The First thing I learned about Eclipse owners is they are basically all budies even if you dont know their real name and 4g63 owners pick on 420a owners like their little brother. I started a project in late 2006 for a Microsoft themed car. I actually Tore my passenger airbag out , Custom bent glass and then Mounted a A7n266 PC chips motherboard with a AMD Barton 2500+ CPU and 7 inch Zenarc brand touch screen ( power by USB) Basically a gamer machine power ( in 2007 before the dual core) in my dash. Seen here http://xboxtalon.blogspot.com/2007/05/original-setup-carputer.html

Forgive the horrible gramer, my GF boasted me about not publishing any of my successful projects out on the web and I did it at like 3 am with one eylid open LOL.

I new little to nothing about the car itself at that time , only that there were cosmetic things I found I would like to do to it. I even had stock rims and tires when I first installed it. http://xboxtalon.blogspot.com/2007/05/getting-plexiglass-in.html

After I figured out that the 420a was a chrysler block with a head and intake design from a abandoned lotus project I got interested in performance. However by this time that carputer I installed had the Video card " Ati 9800 128mb ram" short out on a very very very humid muggy hot day. When the Card choked it actually shorted the Board too. I was sad. HOwever I did not want to have a cool install in my dash in vien. Sooo I pulled the Computer and got and xbox. I found that the Original xbox was a 733 celeron in it and 10 gig HD. This was the Birth of the XBox Micro. I actually trimmed and cut the case to make the height 1 1/4" shorter so it would fit into the dash. Internals seen here http://xboxtalon.blogspot.com/2007/05/modifying-xbox-micro-xbox.html
I modify game systems already heres the blog for that NoogaboX.blogspot.com The most recents are dreamcast for a showcar, Xbox Micro and Xbox 360 ( several)

I figured out that I needed to have a computer system that could idle at farely low temp if I wanted to have it in my dash. I still have this xbox and its never actually been used if anyone is interested. Shortly after I installed this xbox the 360 came out and that just made it not nearely as cool anymore so I think I will go to the trouble to put a XBOX 360 in the car. I now have an extra 360 and a liquid cooling kit, so I am almost ready to tackle that project.

Meanwhile the major reason I hevent done that yet Is I installed a Turbo on my car. First I wanted to clean the car up so I started cleaning everyhting I could. Eventually I ended up with a slightly cleaner looking version of my Talon engine bay. I descided I needed some Powdercoating since paint is just too fragile from the intense underhood tempratures. Here are the first Pieced I powdercoated Candy Red

http://upgradecar.blogspot.com/2007/10/powder-coating-is-done.html
All the red is for the Talon, All the rasberry was for the Dreamcast Eclipse. I had the Turbo housing, Valve cover, Tial wastegate Top, Intake and HKS BOV coated to begin with. Wow what a difference it made. Here is the Install of the Turbonetics Turbo on the 420a

http://upgradecar.blogspot.com/2007/12/starnes-420a-turbo-install.html

Here is the Before and after for the Engine , this give everone a idea of what the car looked like after I cleaned the bugger like crazy and pressure washed grease off it.

http://upgradecar.blogspot.com/2008/01/turbo-install-before-and-after.html

Right now I am just finishing up the Turbo install, I Still need to install the larger injectors, I may install the Apexi Safc II I have, and a Turbo Heat sheild of which I am working on.

I already Have my set of rims which are motegi DP6 chrome but I need a set of 18 in tires and I powdercoated the front calipers after polishing them and they are oh Soo Beautful!

http://upgradecar.blogspot.com/2008/01/custom-candy-red-calipers-1997-eagle.html

I think the Candy Red Calipers will go well agianst the proposed CHromes wheels! I am going Sunday to see about painting the car a Custom frosted color called Cool White or its mitubishi cousins call is Frost White. w26paint.blogspot.com is specifically for all the paint prodjects with this custom color and the xbox 360 thats being installed in the car.

Please I would like to make a shout out to Dreamcasteclipse.blogspot.com as she is very proud of her car and is coming along well, she would really like comments on the progess!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, VelocitaPaola, Feb-09-08 07:22 AM, #1
RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, Noogabox, Feb-18-08 10:02 AM, #5
RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, djtrickee, Feb-09-08 08:01 AM, #2
RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, Hedge, Feb-15-08 04:11 PM, #3
RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, Noogabox, Feb-18-08 10:00 AM, #4
RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, Noogabox, Feb-19-08 01:46 PM, #6
RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, Noogabox, Feb-19-08 02:00 PM, #7
      RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, Noogabox, Mar-12-08 08:11 AM, #8
           RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, goalie40, Mar-15-08 11:54 AM, #9
                RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, Noogabox, Mar-26-08 12:24 PM, #10
                     RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, Fallen4ng31, Mar-26-08 02:19 PM, #11
                          RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, corivus, Mar-27-08 08:07 AM, #12
RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-04-08 06:21 AM, #13

VelocitaPaolaFeb-09-08 07:22 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#183, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice projects! I feel like I've seen those powdercoated pieces before...

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NoogaboxFeb-18-08 10:02 AM
96 posts,
#199, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 1

I know that the powder coating I posted somewhere else on the site to show how to clean up a engine bay, and I posted somwhere else too. I dont see very many nice engine bays , its sad.

djtrickeeFeb-09-08 08:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#184, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-09-08 08:07 AM by djtrickee

Originally posted by Noogabox
Hello All. Well I am farely new to Mitubishi / DSM Community. The First thing I learned about Eclipse owners is they are basically all budies even if you dont know their real name and 4g63 owners pick on 420a owners like their little brother. I started a project in late 2006 for a Microsoft themed car.

Bummer you ditched the Carputer for an Xbox... There are so many things you can do with a carputer to tune and manage the car functions. I have been running an epia based carputer for many years now and have it setup to do everything via touchscreen. MSnS, OBD-2, Wideband, GPS, Bluetooth Phone and Internet, Wifi, and of course the regular computer functions, music etc.
The only touch-based project left for this summer is to replace the HVAC with touch controls.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

HedgeFeb-15-08 04:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#197, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 2
Feb-15-08 04:13 PM by Hedge

Get some pics up on here for sure. I just have one question, Why did you want to make a microsoft car? was it sponsered or just because you really like x boxes lol.

Thank you mobil one for rust proofing my driveway.

NoogaboxFeb-18-08 10:00 AM
96 posts,
#198, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 3

Lol well that came from some of the forums for car stereo installation. The car originally had the pc in the dash and still can technically. The car is normally and officially reffered to as Xbox talon, The car originally had the computer, so a friend of mine made a wise crack about me being in cahootz with microsoft since everything so far has been a microsoft product LOL. Yes I Like the xbox, its much much cheaper than installing a computer, and a easier install too, the amount of fabrication to make a board fit and tuff took days and I cant find another board that is perfectly the same to make it worth doing agian for a low amount of money. I could replace the computer with xbox 360 for around 120 dollars and does everything I did with the computer. I know that computers have data logging capabilities and stuff but I dont use any of those and if I ever do I with intall Small computer somwhere that is dedicated to that cause. I want to get a Wideband soon, but I still have about another 2000 to spend on new carpet, installing new headliner, Paint, installing calipers, installing intake and injectors, and buying new tires before I am ready for that.

NoogaboxFeb-19-08 01:46 PM
96 posts,
#203, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 3

Believe it or not I was actually made fun of for my engine not being cool enough, It was at a local shop called Spradleys . Then I way the owners car OMG, I almost peed my pants I was laughing so hard. Since then he Installed my racning seat and did or HORRIFIC job. The seat rock back and forth. Google " Spradleys " I made a page dedicated to his crapiness.

For some reason the car looks happy here LOL

Here is the Turbonetics turbo in candy red.

These are some stocker Cam Gears ( or Cogs more correctly) I have not installed these, I have a new Timing Belt and bearings ready to go. I think I will install the timing belt, Gears , injectors and New candy red intake all at once after the cars painted. I will post more later on the progress.

I overdocument just about everything I do, I have pictures of myself washing my hands after a project LOL ( but it has alot of symbolism right? ) I really need a logo for the car, it was removed because the whole bumper had to be reconditioned, sealed, and then painted agian. If anyone has ideas for the Bumper logo let me know!

NoogaboxFeb-19-08 02:00 PM
96 posts,
#204, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 3
Feb-19-08 02:05 PM by Noogabox

2007 Carputer Install , Pc chips board $23, AMD barton $25, 40 gig HD free, DVD drive from damaged Emachines computer- free, Plexiglass $80, Heat gun $40, Bondo filler $8, PC power supply $18, Triplite 600w interter $90, Fitting a full size desktop computer into the airbag of a 2 gen Talon that wont fit a laptop-----PRICELESS!

This is how the bezel was first made for the screen

This is the hard way of doing things, I manually sanded body filler until I had a desired shape. No fiberglass the first time around. The reason I didnt fiberglas is I wanted sharp curves and If you us tshirt material or Fleece with fiberglass it very thick. I figured a way around this though and redid this project using lycra Under armor as stretch cloth.

It takes alot of heat to bend plexi by hand, waterever you do dont try to cool the stuff off by blowing on it or spraying water! Bad things happen, it shatters like glass.

It took a few hours and eventually I had a desirable shape ( about 4-6 hours later) and then I had to cut the plexi. I used a dremel and then wet sanded the edges with 400 grit polished.

The computer actuall fit pretty tight because the plexi cover flush mounts and there are several wires and Hard drive cable ATA 133 that cross over the top.

finished picture of the 2007 install, I have many picture of everything in between but anyone who can build a computer will be bored.

Just in case anyone is wondering the Bezel around the screen is texture spray Black rustoleom about $5 per can but works well. Its Custom

NoogaboxMar-12-08 08:11 AM
96 posts,
#282, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 7

Here is a teaser photo of the car. Its been a month and now he has some new clothes. It still needs wet sanding to remove orange peel ( not that there is much anyways) then buffed and polished.

Upgradecar.blogspot.com for the Candy Red Turbocharged 420a, Xbox Talon

goalie40Mar-15-08 11:54 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#297, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by Hedge
Get some pics up on here for sure. I just have one question, Why did you want to make a microsoft car? was it sponsered or just because you really like x boxes lol.

I can take this question. A eclipse/talon works about half the time just like microsoft.

Clean car BTW I want to do a talon paint job on my GST. The black roof looks sick.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

NoogaboxMar-26-08 12:24 PM
96 posts,
#313, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 9

I wanted to keep the black top. It has alot of character. The microsoft thing is just a temporary name till I name the project. I still have alot to go with tuning with a SAFC, turning boost up to 8 psi and of course the whole car needs to be buffed and polished.

I also have a handfull of candy red parts to install on the car, calipers and a intake manifold. My Girlfriends theme for the car is also game system based. She has a Sega Dreamcast. Its old school. I do have a "micro xbox" I made for the car but because they already came out with a new one I feel obligated to use a xbox 360 LOL so I have two. I will probably just name is Talon 360 or somthing interesting and have a logo cut for the rear LOL

Upgradecar.blogspot.com for the Candy Red Turbocharged 420a, Xbox Talon

Dreamcasteclipse.blogspot.com for the Raspberry 4g63T Dreamcast GST

Fallen4ng31Mar-26-08 02:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#314, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 10

If you call a DC old school WTF do you call a TI5000?
Also, the "micro" case is being mass-produced now; By the same company that make the double sized cases so you can accomodate two HDD's.
Not trying to knock your projects, I think they're bad-ass.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

corivusMar-27-08 08:07 AM
Member since Apr 20th 2007
43 posts,
#315, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 11

Very nice setup, I like how the powder coating turned out on that. I also agree with the idea of using a pc again, but an xbox is cool too.

My car isn't gray, the paint is just fading.

RoninEclipse2GApr-04-08 06:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#317, "RE: Microsoft Turbo Talon, Project Custom W26 Paint, Candy red Powdercoat"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by djtrickee
The only touch-based project left for this summer is to replace the HVAC with touch controls.

deej, you have to let me see this when it's done

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #182 Previous topic | Next topic