Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #99159
View in linear mode

Subject: "OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
ConceptIllusionsFeb-13-07 12:28 PM
Member since Sep 05th 2003
188 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#99159, "OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"

Well guys here a few pictures of a customers experience with the OBX ramhorn. He is having fitment issues with it hitting on the thermostat housing. Seems the first runner on the left doesnt give it enough clearance to bolt on tightly, im almost wondering if we could have a new housing machined that lets it clear the manifold, it looks like a good design other that that.. but here you go enjoy!

Anyone else having problems be sure to post up!

www.cimotorsports.net

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, donnyb373, Feb-13-07 12:38 PM, #1
RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, totaleclipse_05, Feb-13-07 12:38 PM, #2
RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, donnyb373, Feb-13-07 12:40 PM, #3
      RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, BOOSTED ECLIPSE, Feb-13-07 12:58 PM, #4
           RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, totaleclipse_05, Feb-13-07 01:30 PM, #5
                RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, ConceptIllusions, Feb-13-07 01:36 PM, #6
                     RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, eclipse982nrRST, Feb-13-07 02:17 PM, #7
                          RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, jack_of_trades, Feb-13-07 02:44 PM, #8
                               RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, bigrob3232, Feb-13-07 02:56 PM, #9
                                    RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, ConceptIllusions, Feb-13-07 04:03 PM, #10
                                         RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, bigrob3232, Feb-13-07 05:25 PM, #11
                                         RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, boosted60trimrst, Feb-14-07 10:11 AM, #12
                                         RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-14-07 10:21 AM, #13
                                              RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, Teamdougie2, Feb-14-07 11:29 AM, #14
                                                   RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, bigrob3232, Feb-14-07 01:19 PM, #15
                                                        RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, eclipse982nrRST, Feb-14-07 01:55 PM, #16
                                                             RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, grain, Feb-15-07 10:30 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, alain95i4, Feb-15-07 10:44 AM, #18
                                                                       RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, Teamdougie2, Feb-15-07 11:04 AM, #19
                                                                            RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, thedawg, Feb-15-07 01:02 PM, #20
                                         RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, turbo8u, Feb-15-07 04:42 PM, #21
                                              RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, Quadman313, Feb-15-07 04:53 PM, #22
                                              RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, 97esiboosted, Feb-16-07 11:09 AM, #23
                                                   RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, Chauncey, Feb-25-07 09:16 AM, #24
                                                        RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, jcarp, Apr-15-07 09:17 AM, #25
                                                             RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, boosted4g64, Apr-16-07 08:29 PM, #26
                                                             RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, bigrob3232, Apr-17-07 01:30 PM, #27
                                                             RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, totaleclipse_05, Apr-17-07 04:05 PM, #28
                                                                  RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, bigrob3232, Apr-17-07 05:38 PM, #29
                                                                       RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, mierze420a, Aug-10-11 09:07 PM, #30
                                                                            RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD, Moderatorxcasbonx, Aug-11-11 06:42 AM, #31

donnyb373Feb-13-07 12:38 PM
Member since Apr 07th 2004
1122 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#99161, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 0

it doesnt look to bad, maybe grind some material out of the t-stat housing and manifold?

other than that issue it looks to fit good, the only thing i would do is cut the wg runner and turn it the oposite way

totaleclipse_05Feb-13-07 12:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#99162, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 0

Hmmm, would that wastegate flange be able to clear the fans if they were in the stock position?

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

donnyb373Feb-13-07 12:40 PM
Member since Apr 07th 2004
1122 posts,
#99163, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
Hmmm, would that wastegate flange be able to clear the fans if they were in the stock position?

no i dont think so and if they would it would be a crazy tight fit

but5 now that im lookin at those pics over again, the t-stat housing is fucked, you would have to make up a new housing alltogether i thinks

BOOSTED ECLIPSEFeb-13-07 12:58 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2004
381 posts,
#99164, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 3

It also looks to me that the turbo compressor housing will he the starter unless it is a very small turbo.

With the manifold hitting the T housing is just shows that OBX did very little R&D. Also OBX says that the manifold will work with A/C and power steering, but it looks like if you had A/C that there would be no room for down pipe.

Joe
MFG Racing

95 GS
MSnS
FP3052 coming soon.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1107

http://www.cardomain.com/id/95turbogs

totaleclipse_05Feb-13-07 01:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#99165, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by BOOSTED ECLIPSE
With the manifold hitting the T housing is just shows that OBX did very little R&D.

I agree. From seeing what I have already, I can safely say I will never want that manifold. If I have to mess with all that other stuff JUST to get it to fit, it isn't worth my time. I think Mike's manifold that he is selling in the BST section is a way better design than the OBX.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

ConceptIllusionsFeb-13-07 01:36 PM
188 posts,
#99166, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 5
Feb-13-07 01:36 PM by ConceptIllusions

Yeah that manifold really concerns me, i dont think it would fit with the stock fan in there.. i dont like how close the rad hose is to the manifold to begin with even if it did fit.. i know the obx tubular ones for the 4g63 sit into the rad hose and the wastegate is about 2 cm away from the rad..

www.cimotorsports.net

eclipse982nrRSTFeb-13-07 02:17 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#99167, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 6

garbage. thats all that thing is. nice place for the wastegate too. no way a stock fan would fit there.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

jack_of_tradesFeb-13-07 02:44 PM
Member since Oct 30th 2005
217 posts,
#99168, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 7

Man, silicone hose or not...that's gonna be some SERIOUS heat soak in that T-stat housing!. That t-stat will probably kick open way before the cooling system is actually up to the proper temp. Well in defense of the ram-horn design, most people I see using a custom made version remove the factory fans and add push fans in front of the radiator. About 30 minutes of R&D woulda made them a lot of money. I gaurantee that the piping was originally made for some honda mani and they just fitted it to a 420A flange without checking a damn thing.

Jamie-
-AUTOMATIC turbo'd 95 Talon ESI@8psi (stock internals)14.0sec=1/4 mile

-2003 Mitsubishi Evo VIII

bigrob3232Feb-13-07 02:56 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2006
203 posts,
#99170, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 8

I cut my external wastegate off since I have internal wastegate...my turbo clears the starter but I have the same problem with the Tstat.

ConceptIllusionsFeb-13-07 04:03 PM
188 posts,
#99171, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 9

Did you ever get it to work though?

www.cimotorsports.net

bigrob3232Feb-13-07 05:25 PM
203 posts,
#99172, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 10

I am going to work on it this weekend when I have time. I work at a machine shop running a lathe so if I need to make a new tstat I can for free...butI dont think I will need to...I dont think anyone would...I'll let you know

boosted60trimrstFeb-14-07 10:11 AM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
#99176, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 11

i would think any kind of decent size turbo wont clear the starter . my turbo with the star mani comes within a couple inches of it . also wouldnt that be a problem with melting the upper rad hose

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-14-07 10:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#99177, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by bigrob3232
I work at a machine shop running a lathe so if I need to make a new tstat I can for free

Seems to me it'd be easier to unfuck the manifold than machine a new T-Stat housing.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Teamdougie2Feb-14-07 11:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#99178, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 13
Feb-14-07 11:29 AM by dougie2

I see cheater cuts, thin-wall tubing and poor fitment. What a piece of shit.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

bigrob3232Feb-14-07 01:19 PM
203 posts,
#99179, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 14

my manifold doesnt have thin walls then the welds are really good... I see nothing wrong with this manifold besides the thermostat housing.

eclipse982nrRSTFeb-14-07 01:55 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#99180, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by bigrob3232
my manifold doesnt have thin walls then the welds are really good... I see nothing wrong with this manifold besides the thermostat housing.

thats a big ass problem right there and that tubing is pretty skinny.

I bet anything over a t3/t4 wouldnt work with that

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

grainFeb-15-07 10:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#99187, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 16

i think that ram manifold looks like shit.

alain95i4Feb-15-07 10:44 AM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#99188, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 17

this is what happens when you design a product for a neon dohc and sell for a 420a

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

Teamdougie2Feb-15-07 11:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#99189, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 18
Feb-15-07 11:05 AM by dougie2

Originally posted by alain95i4
this is what happens when you design a product for a neon dohc and sell for a 420a Alain

The Neon DOHC is a 420A... but I know what you really mean.

That's a good point too... it looks like it'd work perfect on the Neon 420A.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

thedawgFeb-15-07 01:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#99190, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 19
Feb-15-07 01:10 PM by thedawg

Alain and Dougie beat me to it. That thar's a neon mani.

Also it's called "Equal length runners" not "Ram horn style" Of course, they probably had to come up with something else when their lawyers informed them the thing was not equal length NOR mandrel bent.

I hate upstart 420a manifold manufacturers.

If you ever get it installed, be sure to dyno it quickly before tinyurl.com/2dkez5 happens.

turbo8uFeb-15-07 04:42 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#99193, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 10

looks like a huge pain in the ass to me.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Quadman313Feb-15-07 04:53 PM
Member since May 18th 2004
107 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#99194, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 21

Well the good news is that scrap prices are up. Throw that garbage in the can where it belongs.

97esiboostedFeb-16-07 11:09 AM
Member since Feb 03rd 2005
125 posts,
#99206, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 21

Originally posted by turbo8u
looks like a huge pain in the ass to me.

X2

]
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1326

ChaunceyFeb-25-07 09:16 AM
Member since Feb 25th 2007
7 posts,
#99279, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 23

Well when has OBX produced quality stuff anyways? Who would want to pay there hard earned money for parts that dont fit correctly?

jcarpApr-15-07 09:17 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2006
3 posts,
#99744, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 24

what about machining a manifold spacer to push the manifold out a bit so it wont hit the housing and getting a different type of hose and different fans. you can get some thermoal wrap for the thermostat like people use on starters to keep the heat down on it. just a thought but it would be easier then machining a thermo housing of fing up the manifold. good luck

boosted4g64Apr-16-07 08:29 PM
Member since Mar 22nd 2007
27 posts,
#99753, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 25

ive heard obx manfifolds can be very prone to cracking.. cast mani ftw

bigrob3232Apr-17-07 01:30 PM
203 posts,
#99764, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 26

600 views!!!!Wahoo!!!

totaleclipse_05Apr-17-07 04:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#99765, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 25

Originally posted by jcarp
what about machining a manifold spacer to push the manifold out a bit so it wont hit the housing and getting a different type of hose and different fans. you can get some thermoal wrap for the thermostat like people use on starters to keep the heat down on it. just a thought but it would be easier then machining a thermo housing of fing up the manifold. good luck

I'm pretty sure you can't do much else with radiator hose wise on our cars. They are pretty straightforward as is. IMO, still not worth getting and junk.

Mike D

bigrob3232Apr-17-07 05:38 PM
203 posts,
#99772, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 28
Apr-17-07 05:50 PM by bigrob3232

I think its cheaper to just make one or have it made if you really want/need the equal length.

mierze420aAug-10-11 09:07 PM
Member since Aug 09th 2011
11 posts,
#108899, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 29

I know this thread is dangerously old, but I have the OBX ram horn, so I thought I'd chime in. The fitment from OBX directly conflicts with the thermostat housing. Its like they didnt even install it before they started selling these. Anyway, I cut the flange from my 4-2-1 NA header and made that into a spacer. Fixed that issue. But the #1 runner is still way too close to the radiator hose to inspire confidence. Ill see how that goes. With a T3/T4, compressor side to the passenger side, and an external WG to the drivers side, AC needs to be removed, as well as the tensioner pulley (duh). Space between the turbo and starter is not too bad. Only one full size fan will fit though (drivers side).

Ill update if anyone gives a damn once the car has seen the street.

ModeratorxcasbonxAug-11-11 06:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#108900, "RE: OBX RAM HORN TURBO MANIFOLD"
In response to Reply # 30

Originally posted by mierze420a
Ill update if anyone gives a damn once the car has seen the street.

If you decide to make an update, make a new post in the Turbo section regarding your progress. This threads done for.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #99159 Previous topic | Next topic