Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #84165
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wiring the Radiator Fans together?" Previous topic | Next topic
techboyMar-24-05 08:52 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#84165, "Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
Mar-24-05 09:11 AM by techboy

Anybody here in the turbo forum do this?? My ambient engine bay temp seems to be so hot when I pop the hood. My temp. guage inside the car seems to be running about the same as stock, so I'm not super worried about coolant temp, just the bay itself. The FMIC blocking all the air flow, plus the addition of the turbo is killer. So I'm thinking if I wire the AC fan to the normal fan so that they both kick on at the same time, it should help circulate air more. Just curious if anyone has done this and what their results where? If so, did you have to buy a bigger relay?

PS - I did a search on this and found a decent thread for anyone else interested in various cooling ideas:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=71752&mesg_id=71752&listing_type=search

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, TeamAvenger, Mar-24-05 09:15 AM, #1
RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, techboy, Mar-24-05 09:24 AM, #2
      RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, Kirby, Mar-24-05 09:29 AM, #3
           RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, Moderatormicyek, Mar-24-05 10:34 AM, #4
                RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, TeamAvenger, Mar-24-05 10:45 AM, #5
                     RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, baxsom, Mar-24-05 11:25 AM, #6
                          RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, TeamAvenger, Mar-24-05 12:21 PM, #7
                          RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, baxsom, Mar-24-05 12:44 PM, #8
                               RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, Kirby, Mar-24-05 12:51 PM, #9
                                    RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, techboy, Mar-24-05 04:42 PM, #10
                                         RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, SilverBullet20g, Mar-25-05 09:58 AM, #11
                                              RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, techboy, Mar-26-05 04:17 PM, #12
RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, siueclipse, Mar-26-05 04:33 PM, #13
RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, TeamXtremeRS, Mar-26-05 06:42 PM, #14
      RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, speakersound, Apr-01-05 02:25 PM, #15
           RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?, baxsom, Apr-03-05 03:19 PM, #16
                ATTN: Xtreme, techboy, Apr-06-05 08:05 AM, #17
                     RE: ATTN: Xtreme, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-17-10 03:57 PM, #18
                          RE: ATTN: Xtreme, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-18-10 08:55 PM, #19
                               RE: ATTN: Xtreme, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-19-10 01:30 PM, #20
                                    RE: ATTN: Xtreme, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-19-10 05:03 PM, #21
                                         RE: ATTN: Xtreme, 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-06-10 04:03 PM, #22
                                              RE: ATTN: Xtreme, Rax2, Feb-05-11 11:32 AM, #23
                                                   RE: ATTN: Xtreme, PsychO, Feb-05-11 12:13 PM, #24

TeamAvengerMar-24-05 09:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#84167, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 0

You could probably figure this out from the wiring diagram in the chiltons. Here's a previous post. You're basically jumpering relays. I've done this.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=44379&mesg_id=44379&listing_type=search#44436

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

techboyMar-24-05 09:24 AM
1662 posts,
#84169, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hey, thanks a lot man, that's a great thread. I already printed it out. My car is still tucked away for the winter, but it's getting warmer here in Pa. so I'm starting to think about things. Any other thoughts on this subject guys?

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

KirbyMar-24-05 09:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#84170, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 2

I have done this as well. The thread is correct, you just run jump wires from pin to pin and presto...

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

ModeratormicyekMar-24-05 10:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#84174, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 3

this may sound completely retarded...but why does it have to be so hard? couldn't you just hard wire the the ac fan's pigtail into the other fan's pigtail? Or can't the relay take that much load?

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

TeamAvengerMar-24-05 10:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#84176, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by micyek
this may sound completely retarded...but why does it have to be so hard? couldn't you just hard wire the the ac fan's pigtail into the other fan's pigtail? Or can't the relay take that much load?

What's harder ... 2 3" pieces of wire that you jumper relays with (no crimping needed) or hacking up your existing harness to run over a very hot radiator and splicing into the other harness? This is a no brainer.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

baxsomMar-24-05 11:25 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2004
758 posts,
#84179, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 5

ok maybe i am completely retarded but i looked at the link provided on how to jump these relays and i dont see the order that is mentioned

my left row of relays goes

rad fan HI
rad fan HI (empty)
Rad fan LO
Cond fan HI
Cond fan LO

am i missing something??

should the second rad fan hi have a relay in it?

this is confusing

1996 eclipse GS-T
1968 Ford Mustang
2004 Suzuki GSXR600
2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Decisions Decisions

TeamAvengerMar-24-05 12:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#84183, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 6

The diagram refers to the pins on the relay.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

baxsomMar-24-05 12:44 PM
758 posts,
#84189, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 6

I understand the pins on the relay thing
but if i dont have the relays that are mentioned then how do i connect the two fans together

i only have one radiator fan Lo
and the the thread says to connect hi to hi and lo to lo

1996 eclipse GS-T
1968 Ford Mustang
2004 Suzuki GSXR600
2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Decisions Decisions

KirbyMar-24-05 12:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#84190, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 8

You will not have the second rad high relay. Basicly take rad high to cond high and rad low to cond low. Make sence?

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

techboyMar-24-05 04:42 PM
1662 posts,
#84210, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm assuming "Cond" refers to condenser, meaning the AC condenser? This will definitely be my first mod this summer.

For those of you who have done this, my original question remains ... has it helped cool the engine bay a bit?

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

SilverBullet20gMar-25-05 09:58 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2004
558 posts,
#84239, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 10
Mar-25-05 10:08 AM by SilverBullet20g

Originally posted by techboy
I'm assuming "Cond" refers to condenser, meaning the AC condenser? This will definitely be my first mod this summer. For those of you who have done this, my original question remains ... has it helped cool the engine bay a bit?

yes it works great. I'm speaking from experience using the FAL dual fans that are meant for the 4G63 with a Fluidyne...

I went for the rewire method because the FAL fans have the bare wires coming out at the same location..Here is a old crappy picutre from my phone..This way back before fluidyne made a radiator for the 420A..I had to buy a 4G63 one and have RRE modify it.

Edit: New pic

(parting out 95 GS)

techboyMar-26-05 04:17 PM
1662 posts,
#84275, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 11

Ok, cool guys .... thanks for the info. I'm going to try this out.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

siueclipseMar-26-05 04:33 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
#84277, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have the main fan hooked up like normal, but i have a relay on it so it will kick on the second fan at the same time. works nice and does help with the engine temp.

TeamXtremeRSMar-26-05 06:42 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#84278, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 13
Mar-26-05 06:44 PM by XtremeRS

I wired up my condensor fan to be on at all times. This way, when I use the A/C, its already on, and it keeps air blowing over the turbo too, which is nice a thing to have. This also lets the ECU kick on the driver fan like normal, at approx 206 degrees if it should ever get that high. Stock fans, and stock radiator, 180 stat, with the condensor fan on always, my cooant temps are usually in the 180's to 190's. IMO, this keeps coolant temps more steady, rather than having the fans off, then both kick on at the same time(cools rapidly, fans off, then heats up rapidly, ect).

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

speakersoundApr-01-05 02:25 PM
Member since Jul 07th 2003
25 posts,
#84537, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 14

Email me at tony@speakersound.com and ask me to email you back the diagram to wire both fans together using a relay.

Tony
CA

baxsomApr-03-05 03:19 PM
758 posts,
#84566, "RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?"
In response to Reply # 15

i know this is an old post but i just got the diagram of how to wire the relay in
and just wanted to ask where the wire for the ac switch to the fan is

is it just one of the fan plug wires or is it located somewhere else

thanks

1996 eclipse GS-T
1968 Ford Mustang
2004 Suzuki GSXR600
2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Decisions Decisions

techboyApr-06-05 08:05 AM
1662 posts,
#84641, "ATTN: Xtreme"
In response to Reply # 16

Sorry, to bring this back to life again guys, but i just got my car out yesterday ... My fuse box does have a HI and LOW for the normal fan, just the HI. I do have a HI and LO for the cond fan. In others words, my top 2 relay slots are empty. Am I missing a relay or something or other people in this boat?

Xtreme - What did you do to go about wiring your cond fan to be on all the time? I'm assuming it has something to do wit the relay in the fuse box and allow it to have constant power??

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

420agreenvilleSCNov-17-10 03:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#108305, "RE: ATTN: Xtreme"
In response to Reply # 17
Nov-17-10 04:06 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

I really really hate to bring this back but the #2 post in this thread... by Avenger... apparently his link is a great link to doing this but "page not found".

I've always wanted to do this. No writeups on this either. plz help mikey

EDIT: I've asked for help on this before... no replies http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=126686&mode=full

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

420agreenvilleSCNov-18-10 08:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#108317, "RE: ATTN: Xtreme"
In response to Reply # 18

mother fucking bump damnit. someone please. I know it's easy to do, but is it easy to type?

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-19-10 01:30 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#108318, "RE: ATTN: Xtreme"
In response to Reply # 19

Use the schematic to jump the relays with the key on.

420agreenvilleSCNov-19-10 05:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#108319, "RE: ATTN: Xtreme"
In response to Reply # 20

i can't read schematics. i'm not good at electrical. I need steps, pictures, arrows and shit. rofl. well maybe not arrows and pictures, but you get it.

420agreenvilleSCDec-06-10 04:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#108353, "RE: ATTN: Xtreme"
In response to Reply # 21

bump. mikey needs steps to do this. I wanna wiki-add it after i figure it out. i'll even add pics

Rax2Feb-05-11 11:32 AM
Member since Oct 10th 2005
10 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108488, "RE: ATTN: Xtreme"
In response to Reply # 22

Wish this thread was here when I boosted.. I wired the two fans together instead of the relay mod.. Cooling with both stock fans and rad works really well, and a little too well during freezing temps, as sometimes my car doesn't heat up to normal temps while on the hwy..

'96 Dodge Avenger ES-T

PsychOFeb-05-11 12:13 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#108489, "RE: ATTN: Xtreme"
In response to Reply # 23

Mikey...

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/wayback/2gcoolingfan.html

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #84165 Previous topic | Next topic