Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #55521
View in linear mode

Subject: "Turbo XS RFL BOV" Previous topic | Next topic
pn0ymahalSep-04-03 12:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#55521, "Turbo XS RFL BOV"

who has this bov on there 420a hrc kit? what kit should i get? the gst RFL kit? does it clear the hood? i plan to just use my little orange thingy and clamp it on for now like how hrc does it. also whats the price you paid and where did you buy it from? if i get this bov i will sell my greddy type s if so.
thanks
Michael
99gs
HRC Stage IV 8-Injector Setup
2GNT Member #32

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, grain, Sep-04-03 12:25 PM, #1
RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, RyaN95i4, Sep-04-03 12:36 PM, #2
RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, pn0ymahal, Sep-04-03 01:47 PM, #3
RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, lonnie1977, Sep-04-03 02:18 PM, #4
RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, RyaN95i4, Sep-04-03 07:26 PM, #7
RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, Teamner947, Sep-04-03 02:34 PM, #5
      RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, zhr420, Sep-04-03 03:05 PM, #6
           RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, invaznGST, Sep-04-03 07:44 PM, #8
                RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, pn0ymahal, Sep-04-03 08:17 PM, #9
                     RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, Justin99RS, Sep-05-03 03:45 AM, #10
                          RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, Teamner947, Sep-05-03 03:48 AM, #11
                               RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, whodatt1, Sep-05-03 03:56 AM, #12
                                    RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, turbo8u, Sep-05-03 07:04 AM, #13
                                         RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, whodatt1, Sep-05-03 07:15 AM, #14
                                              RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, turbo8u, Sep-05-03 07:28 AM, #15
                                                   RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, EclipseRST, Sep-05-03 07:40 AM, #16
                                                        RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, turbo8u, Sep-05-03 07:48 AM, #17
                                                             RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, pn0ymahal, Sep-05-03 09:45 AM, #18
                                                                  RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, soulcontroller, Sep-05-03 12:23 PM, #19
                                                                       RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, lonnie1977, Sep-05-03 12:43 PM, #20
                                                                            RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, pn0ymahal, Sep-05-03 04:36 PM, #21
                                                                                 RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, EclipseRST, Sep-05-03 07:37 PM, #22
                                                                                      RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, DSMRoadster, Sep-05-03 08:32 PM, #23
                                                                                           RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, EclipseRST, Sep-06-03 11:35 AM, #24
                                                                                                RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, icedout, Sep-06-03 01:17 PM, #25
                                                                                                RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, RyaN95i4, Sep-06-03 10:15 PM, #26
                                                                                                     RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, EclipseRST, Sep-08-03 03:14 AM, #27
                                                                                                          RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV, Teamner947, Sep-08-03 03:41 AM, #28
                                                                                                               Got my RFL question on how to put washers?, pn0ymahal, Sep-09-03 01:29 PM, #29
                                                                                                                    RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?, soulcontroller, Sep-09-03 01:54 PM, #30
                                                                                                                         RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?, EclipseRST, Sep-09-03 05:59 PM, #31
                                                                                                                              RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?, jsupetran, Sep-09-03 06:11 PM, #32
                                                                                                                                   RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?, Avenger626, Sep-09-03 07:24 PM, #33
                                                                                                                                        RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?, turbo8u, Sep-10-03 11:54 AM, #34
                                                                                                                                        RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?, pfmicks, Sep-11-03 12:37 PM, #35
                                                                                                                                             RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?, KidEvo, Sep-11-03 01:47 PM, #36
                                                                                                                                             RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?, eclipseman1999, Sep-11-03 04:44 PM, #37
                                                                                                                                             RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?, pfmicks, Sep-12-03 06:32 AM, #38

grainSep-04-03 12:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#55522, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 0

i have this bov. but it came with my hrc kit. it does stick right off the pipe. really close to the hood, but it clears it some how. i dunno about anything else.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RyaN95i4Sep-04-03 12:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#55524, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 0

just get the bov, u dont need any mounting kit.

the turbo xs bov will fit the flange thats already on the hrc piping.

man thats an old pic :o haha

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

pn0ymahalSep-04-03 01:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#55526, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 2

the hrc pipe has no flanges welded on.. it has a hole and you put the hrc orange thingy on it and clamp it on that and on your bov flange or what not.
Michael
99gs
2GNT Member #32

lonnie1977Sep-04-03 02:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
364 posts,
#55530, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 3

The one inch or so tube that the orange coupler clamps to is the perfect size for the for the BOV to slip over and lock on to. the BOV will slip right over the pipe and has an O-ring seal in it to seal to the pipe and it secures with 3 set screws. It will fit just barely under the factory style hood where the hump is. If you plan on getting a hood with out the hump you will have to get a bracket made to use it because it stands to high. But yes it will slip right over the tube the HRC BOV is clamped to with out modification or adapter kit. All you need is the BOV and the set screws no adapters of any sort.

98 GS
HRC Stage II

RyaN95i4Sep-04-03 07:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#55550, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 3

that picture IS the unmodified Hahn pipe.

the orange coupler hahn uses to secure the 3kgt bov has to clamp to something on the pipe, right? well that is what you clamp the turbo xs bov onto. its a perfect fit.

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

Teamner947Sep-04-03 02:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#55532, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 2

>just get the bov, u dont need any mounting kit.
>
>the turbo xs bov will fit the flange thats already on the hrc
>piping.
>
>http://www.team-morfius.com/ryan95i4/pics/Phantom/enginestage1_2.jp g
>man thats an old pic :o haha

i've got one that looks just like that... it's really old too.
october of 2002:

september of 2003:

so yeah. the RFL will fit perfectly on the HRC piping.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

zhr420Sep-04-03 03:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
#55533, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 5

will it fit on to pippin that comes with the star kit?
later
"Z"

invaznGSTSep-04-03 07:44 PM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
3897 posts,
#55551, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 6

imo it's not a good bov cause it vents to atmosphere.. i've had some problems with this bov..i sold it and bought a type-s.

Mark

'95 Eclipse GST - gone
'00 Jetta GLS

pn0ymahalSep-04-03 08:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#55552, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 8

you got a 4g63 you got a mas you must vent it back to the intake so your car will run correct and you wont get a cel. us 420a dont got a mas so we 'all' vent to the atmosphere. i got the type s now and its great but i might want something loud one day.

"imo it's not a good bov cause it vents to atmosphere.. i've had some problems with this bov..i sold it and bought a type-s"
Michael
99gs
2GNT Member #32

Justin99RSSep-05-03 03:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1594 posts,
#55555, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 9

its deffinatly loud...anything over 5psi it can be deafening if your next to a concrete highway divider..hahaha

'99 RS
gone, never forgotten

'03 BMW 330i 5speed

'00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7

Teamner947Sep-05-03 03:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#55557, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 10

agreed. at 15 psi it scared the shit out of me (and probaly gave the soccer mom in the minivan next to me a miscarrage) when i was shifting from 2 to 3 next to one of those jersey barriers. it's definately really loud.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

whodatt1Sep-05-03 03:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
#55558, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 11

hehe I love mine.. and no it will not fit with the star pipes you will have to do some cutting and welding in order to put it on.

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

turbo8uSep-05-03 07:04 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#55570, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 12
Sep-05-03 07:07 AM by turbo8u

i had the type s on for awhile and then found a good deal on ebay for a rfl, the type s IMO was better because it was quiet and kinda mellow but the rfl just screams, its defintaly real.fuckin.loud lol, blow off salutes never felt better

edit: oh....about venting to the atmosphere. it sounds to me like you just a read a post on how someone said venting to the atmosphere is bad and jumped on the band wagon. cars with map sensors (manifold absolute pressure) read the intake charge before the car actually gets it and adjusts the fuel accordingly but when u vent the boost, it runs rich temporarily. we on the other hand have maf sensors. completely different. you can go both ways, it really doesnt make a difference.
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

whodatt1Sep-05-03 07:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
#55572, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 13
Sep-05-03 07:15 AM by whodatt1

you got it turned around.. we have MAP sensor

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

turbo8uSep-05-03 07:28 AM
10552 posts,
#55573, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 14

yea thats what i meant sorry
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

EclipseRSTSep-05-03 07:40 AM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
#55574, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 15

So the RFL is loud? And it's safe to use with our cars? I might need to look into this...

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

turbo8uSep-05-03 07:48 AM
10552 posts,
#55575, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 16

the rfl gets me more ass than a toilet seat

lol chicks dig guys with loud bov's

just kiddin man, but yea...the rfl is the definition of an obnoxious BOV, everyone knows ur turbo, thats why people (myself included) get it
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

pn0ymahalSep-05-03 09:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#55582, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 17

hey guys. with the people who have the rfl turboxs bov can you let me know the psi of boost you run, turbo kit, and how many washers you are using for that boost level?
thanks
Michael
99gs
2GNT Member #32

soulcontrollerSep-05-03 12:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#55595, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 18

6 psi. no washers. it sometimes will flutter around 2 psi if i let off the gas. no boost leaks.

i didnt think it was going to fit with the hood closed when i first installed mine. but it works, and the lines dont pinch!

lonnie1977Sep-05-03 12:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
364 posts,
#55596, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 19
Sep-05-03 12:44 PM by lonnie1977

8 psi with no washers. No problems here. I just love how loud it is!

98 GS
HRC Stage II

pn0ymahalSep-05-03 04:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#55597, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 20

where did you guys buy yours from? also how much?
thanks
Michael
99gs
2GNT Member #32

EclipseRSTSep-05-03 07:37 PM
5394 posts,
#55598, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 21

>where did you guys buy yours from? also how much?

I was reading up on them just now. Go here > http://www.turbowholesale.com/.sc/ms/cat/1032987946/9/nc/Turbo%20XS

I think I might grab one of these. Is it still loud at 5-6 psi? And what's the deal with the washers? Why do you need washers, I don't get it???

DSMRoadsterSep-05-03 08:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#55600, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 22

12psi and 6 washers I believe. Everybody within a 3-5 block radius will know you're coming. People will turn their heads and say wtf? I love it and everyone else loves it. I'd say go for it. RFL and Tial are the two loudest on the market.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

EclipseRSTSep-06-03 11:35 AM
5394 posts,
#55608, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 23

What do you need washers for?

icedoutSep-06-03 01:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#55611, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 24

i have the tial on my gsx and that shit it loud as hell.......... i like the tial better.........

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque
http://s90395832.onlinehome.us/forum//index.php?sid=a70942a7f65043e6c873e12dcd300692

1998 Eclipse RS --show car--

RyaN95i4Sep-06-03 10:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#55646, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 24

u add washers to stiffen the spring in the bov so you can run more boost without the bov leaking.

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

EclipseRSTSep-08-03 03:14 AM
5394 posts,
#55722, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 26

I just went to www.blowoffvalves.com and listend to a sound clip of the RFL. The thing sounds like a semi's air brakes! But I noticed it sort of whistled and had sort of a weird sound to it. Is that how it really sounds in reality or was the recorder they used just a piece that didn't translate the sound onto tape well?

Teamner947Sep-08-03 03:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#55724, "RE: Turbo XS RFL BOV"
In response to Reply # 27
Sep-08-03 03:50 AM by ner947

yeah, that sounds like it.

i run 15 psi with no washers. it doesn't seem to leak. sounds great, but flutters at low boost (like less than 2 psi or so)

i got mine from Team ERT, but they don't seem to stock the RFL anymore...

here. download this video. it's a movie of me last october when i was still running only 5 psi on a stage 1 system. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289178157

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

pn0ymahalSep-09-03 01:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#55860, "Got my RFL question on how to put washers?"
In response to Reply # 28
Sep-09-03 01:29 PM by pn0ymahal

in the instruc it does not say how to add the washers to make it harder. so how do open it up to add washers? i dont want to turn/break something on it would i should not have done.
thanks
Michael
99gs
2GNT Member #32

soulcontrollerSep-09-03 01:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#55861, "RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?"
In response to Reply # 29

it just unscrews. almost in half. from there you can add the washers that should have come with the valve itself.

EclipseRSTSep-09-03 05:59 PM
5394 posts,
#55902, "RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?"
In response to Reply # 30

It says the RFL holds 10-20psi. Why would you need washers if it can hold that much boost?

jsupetranSep-09-03 06:11 PM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
#55905, "RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?"
In response to Reply # 31

to add more resistance to prevet low boost leakage.

-------jezreel
hrc stage 1, sfmu, ml, prokits, egt, boost gauge, apexi tt, costum dp, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler

Avenger626Sep-09-03 07:24 PM
Member since May 06th 2003
58 posts,
#55913, "RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?"
In response to Reply # 32

I love my RFL. Its very loud. I only ran 4psi at first, initial installation without a boost controller. It would whistle at low rpms (2psi or so), and at full boost of 4psi it sounds exactly like a loud whip. Whaapshhhhhhht. Then at my current 7psi it screams, sounds like a whip, and sorta whistles at the end...hehe. Depends if you keep flooring it or just let off at the end of that gear so it can do its full sequence of noises. Turns heads all the time, seriously literally scares some people.. I remember I startled a pedestrian one time...I floored it and shifted right next to him..he literally ducked and covered his head...I burst out laughing, LOL. Its great.

Star Stage 2 Turbo, TC2 front, TC1 sides and rear, Enkei Arashi Wheels, Carbon Blue Paint, Invador Hood, Reverse Indiglo gauges, other good stuff.

turbo8uSep-10-03 11:54 AM
10552 posts,
#55966, "RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?"
In response to Reply # 33

lol i scare people with mine too

i love how my car sounds though with the turbo howling and the tb howling then it all explodes with a loud pshhhhht

its sexy, no matter which way u look at it
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

pfmicksSep-11-03 12:37 PM
Member since Oct 10th 2002
1349 posts,
#56050, "RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?"
In response to Reply # 33

>I love my RFL. Its very loud. I only ran 4psi at first,
>initial installation without a boost controller. It would
>whistle at low rpms (2psi or so), and at full boost of 4psi it
>sounds exactly like a loud whip. Whaapshhhhhhht. Then at my
>current 7psi it screams, sounds like a whip, and sorta
>whistles at the end...hehe. Depends if you keep flooring it
>or just let off at the end of that gear so it can do its full
>sequence of noises. Turns heads all the time, seriously
>literally scares some people.. I remember I startled a
>pedestrian one time...I floored it and shifted right next to
>him..he literally ducked and covered his head...I burst out
>laughing, LOL. Its great.

lmfao!

User banned for scamming members on 2GNT, WIDSM, and CHITOWNDSM. This user and his brother Jason Ames have been involved with theft of parts from other DSM members. This individual is not trustworthy and should not be involved in any type of sale.

KidEvoSep-11-03 01:47 PM
Member since Jan 23rd 2003
161 posts,
#56052, "RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?"
In response to Reply # 35

Hmm... Nobody has the HKS SSQ bov? I have a RFL sitting in a box and was thinking of selling it, but now not so sure.

eclipseman1999Sep-11-03 04:44 PM
Member since Jul 25th 2003
973 posts,
#56075, "RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?"
In response to Reply # 36
Sep-11-03 04:48 PM by eclipseman1999

Does anyone have a sound clip of their bov on a 2gnt with a hahn/star kit?I have seen a clip with a 1g bov but I want to here a aftermarket one on a turboed 420a.Also the greedy type s sounded the best on blowoffvales.com out of all the bov's

Shawn
99 Eclipse RS
Hahn Stage 2,Full built bottom end with je 8:8 and eagle rods ect..

pfmicksSep-12-03 06:32 AM
Member since Oct 10th 2002
1349 posts,
#56126, "RE: Got my RFL question on how to put washers?"
In response to Reply # 36
Sep-12-03 06:34 AM by pfmicks

I know a guy that has a HKS SSQ bov in his GS-T...pretty loud, real nice sound...

User banned for scamming members on 2GNT, WIDSM, and CHITOWNDSM. This user and his brother Jason Ames have been involved with theft of parts from other DSM members. This individual is not trustworthy and should not be involved in any type of sale.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #55521 Previous topic | Next topic