Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #1654
View in linear mode

Subject: "STAR KIT and Walbro GSS307 pump" Previous topic | Next topic
95ESiFeb-12-01 06:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1654, "STAR KIT and Walbro GSS307 pump"

For those of you that have the STAR KIT with the Walbro GSS307 pump, this may be useful to you:

Since the Walbro GSS307 pump is not a direct in-tank replacement, there may be some issues faced by just simply bolting it up. The provided hose clamp will hold the pump firmly in place, but you may opt to wrap some rubber around the pump before clamping it down. This will hold for sure. (I just used some cut up some fuel injection hose.)

The main issue is that the neck of the pump (where the valve is) is drastically smaller in diameter than the stock pump, so there will be some difficulty in forming a seal. I learned this the hard way last night while I was trying to fix the seal on my pump since I was having a lot of difficulty starting my car.

Anyhow, without a good seal, fuel pressure wouldn't even go past 20 PSI! Gee wiz...no wonder my car wouldn't start after cranking it so many times!

So after ripping out the pump for the second time, it occured to me that I could use a 5/16" fuel injection hose to expand the diameter on the neck! And combined with the stock o-ring, a good seal is formed.

l e o n

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: STAR KIT and Walbro GSS307 pump, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-12-01 09:59 AM, #1
RE: STAR KIT and Walbro GSS307 pump, TeamWyatt, Feb-12-01 05:44 PM, #2
      RE: STAR KIT and Walbro GSS307 pump, 95ESi, Feb-13-01 04:19 AM, #3
           I have the Walbro GSS342 pump..., TeamJasonESi_T, Feb-13-01 05:15 AM, #4
                RE: I have the Walbro GSS342 pump..., TeamWyatt, Feb-13-01 06:10 AM, #5
                     NO WONDER, 95ESi, Feb-13-01 09:02 AM, #6
                     ROCK !!, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-13-01 09:02 AM, #7
                     Wyat.., 95ESi, Feb-13-01 09:49 AM, #8
                          RE: Wyat.., Phat99Eclipse, Feb-13-01 02:18 PM, #9
                          RE: Umm... hehe...., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-13-01 04:51 PM, #10
                               RE: Umm... hehe...., TeamWyatt, Feb-14-01 02:44 AM, #11
                                    RE: Umm... hehe...., 95ESi, Feb-14-01 06:35 AM, #12
                     RE: I have the Walbro GSS342 pump..., TeamJasonESi_T, Feb-14-01 05:32 PM, #13
                          RE: I have the Walbro GSS342 pump..., Hoot, Feb-15-01 12:11 AM, #14
                               Yes, the mounting flange would be the same..., TeamJasonESi_T, Feb-15-01 02:24 AM, #15
                                    RE: Yes, the mounting flange would be the same..., TeamWyatt, Feb-15-01 04:26 AM, #16
                                         RE: Yes, the mounting flange would be the same..., 95ESi, Feb-15-01 04:54 AM, #17
                                              RE: Yes, the mounting flange would be the same..., TeamWyatt, Feb-15-01 02:35 PM, #18
                                                   RE: Yes, the mounting flange would be the same..., 95ESi, Feb-16-01 06:26 AM, #19

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-12-01 09:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1655, "RE: STAR KIT and Walbro GSS307 pump"
In response to Reply # 0

That's a damn good idea... Why didn't I think of that? I just crammed the thing in there after wrapping it in Teflon tape, it seems to be sealing quite well.... but i don't have a fuel pressure gauge. Flirting with disaster? Maybe...

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamWyattFeb-12-01 05:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#1656, "RE: STAR KIT and Walbro GSS307 pump"
In response to Reply # 1

LAST EDITED ON 12-Feb-01 AT 10:44 PM (PST)

hmm.. even with the gss342's its seems that the neck would be the same as the 307's. I wonder what the GST guys use?

Good idea Leon!
Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

95ESiFeb-13-01 04:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#1657, "RE: STAR KIT and Walbro GSS307 pump"
In response to Reply # 2

Wahhht??? The neck of the GSS342 that you have is the same size as the GSS307? It doesn't taper like the stock one?

Cause from what I see here:

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/pump-WB-2GFWD.html

I see that the pump is a "direct replacement." Well at least no more need to hose clamp it down, as we can retain the use of the factory clamp...so no more fears of a the pump falling into the tank!

BTW, Wyatt, have you got my GSS342 pump? I wonder if the GSS342 2G pump is different for each kit? (They got GSS342 kits for Miatas, RX-7s, etc...)

lookie:

http://www.vfaq.com/pump-Walbros.html

l e o n

TeamJasonESi_TFeb-13-01 05:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#1658, "I have the Walbro GSS342 pump..."
In response to Reply # 3

This pump is of course the direct replacement for the FWD 2g 420a AND the FWD 2g 4g63. I have this along with the HRC fuel pump. (that's right! I want to have ample fuel!) Anyhow, this pump is the direct replacement for the BOTH of these models.

As far as fitament, it was a direct replacement "almost." I had to expand the bottom bracket a little becuase the pump mammothed over the stock one in size (as far as length and width). But besides that, it fit perfectly, and hasn't created ANY problems for me! I'm very pleased with it. Additionally, it only makes a quiet whine when I've run the car hard.

http://www.vfaq.com/pump-Walbros.html

I have no cluse as to what the fitament problems are with the Walbro that comes with the STAR kit.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

TeamWyattFeb-13-01 06:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#1659, "RE: I have the Walbro GSS342 pump..."
In response to Reply # 4

I just realized something. My pump bracket looks nothing like what a lot of you guys have or even what the VFAQ shows on the website.
I've been wondering what all this talk was about an 0-ring. I don't have one! I have a straight pipe off the fuel pump bracket and a fuel line that connects the walbro with the bracket. I don't have anything like the fitting thats on the FVAQ page

Mine is actaully much simpler and I don't have to worry about a fuel leak. I am able to use hose clamps from the bracket to the walbro.
Here is my pump. Notice no o-ring

I can't use the bottom bracket but in my case it doesn't really matter. I don't need it. I can see how you guys with the o-ring do need some sort of bottom bracket or at least a good way to hodl the pump in place. The gss342 does let you use the bottom bracket, so that should get rid of your problem Leon
BTW, you pump went out today so did Dinos in-line.
Wyatt

Wyatt Leras

95ESiFeb-13-01 09:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#1660, "NO WONDER"
In response to Reply # 5

DOH!!!!!!! NO WONDER Wyatt had no clues why we had all this fuel pump problems...

What the heck? When did they change the fuel pump assembly??
Is it a 1996+ thing? A 1997 thing? Or just an "Eclipse" thing?

Hmmm, STAR should now have an option of what fuel pump to ship out.

>I just realized something. My pump
>bracket looks nothing like what
>a lot of you guys
>have or even what the
>VFAQ shows on the website.
>
>I've been wondering what all this
>talk was about an 0-ring.
>I don't have one! I
>have a straight pipe off
>the fuel pump bracket and
>a fuel line that connects
>the walbro with the bracket.
>I don't have anything like
>the fitting thats on the
>FVAQ page
>
>Mine is actaully much simpler and
>I don't have to worry
>about a fuel leak. I
>am able to use hose
>clamps from the bracket to
>the walbro.
>Here is my pump. Notice no
>o-ring
>
>
>I can't use the bottom bracket
>but in my case it
>doesn't really matter. I don't
>need it. I can see
>how you guys with the
>o-ring do need some sort
>of bottom bracket or at
>least a good way to
>hodl the pump in place.
>The gss342 does let you
>use the bottom bracket, so
>that should get rid of
>your problem Leon
>BTW, you pump went out today
> so did Dinos in-line.
>
>Wyatt
>
>
>Wyatt Leras
>http://www.turbogs.com
>98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000
>Turbo kit
>

l e o n

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-13-01 09:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1661, "ROCK !!"
In response to Reply # 5

Dude, Wyatt, that's one weird setup you've got there. Mine looks EXACTLY like the one in the vfaq. Glad to hear that the pump went out today. I saw in the emails you sent us that you were thinking that we should install it in the engine bay -- would it be a problem, IYOHO, if i install it on the rear crossmember, where the hard line meets the soft, if i can get another section of pre-fitted soft line? It sure would be a lot damn more convienient that tearing out half my engine bay to mount it on the firewall... I can't think of any issues with this setup, and correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this where HRC recommends mounting theirs? (next to the fuel filter, which in 96+ is at the back of the car near the regulator, if i remember correctly?)

-DarkOne

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

95ESiFeb-13-01 09:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#1662, "Wyat.."
In response to Reply # 7

Wyatt...did you cut or modify your fuel pump bracket? I'm really curious why your bracket looks so different than mine, Dino's, or even Jason's...

l e o n

Phat99EclipseFeb-13-01 02:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
203 posts,
#1663, "RE: Wyat.."
In response to Reply # 8

LAST EDITED ON 13-Feb-01 AT 07:20 PM (PST)

I can't believe that this is such a big problem... I guess I was really lucky in the fact that mine fit perfect and I DID modify the bracket at the bottom to accomodate the larger filter opening of the Walbro... One thing I did do that was not in the instructions is replace the rubber hose that the pump is held on with with a new one. I know over time that rubber will begin to deteriate with constant contact with gas, and I had about 54K miles when I did my install. The hose may have been just the right size to fit on without having to worry about a nipple or something being to small... Good luck everyone. BTW, my pump looks exactly like Wyatt's only with a modified lower bracket.

DoN

'99 GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2, CFDF Clutch
Greddy Manual Boost Controller
Greddy BOV and EVO Exhaust
Greddy TT and shift knob
AF/X Underdrive Pulley
AEM Big Brake Kit
B&M Edge Short Shifter
Eibach Sportlines with Tokiko Blues

'99 Eclipse GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2
Greddy EVO Exhuast
AEM Big Brakes
Greddy Type S BOV
Pioneer DEH-P7200
Bazooka EL1500 running 2 MTX 10" Subs
Fosgate Separates throughout

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-13-01 04:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1664, "RE: Umm... hehe...."
In response to Reply # 8

Call me "DarkOne"

LoL ... LEON

-DarkOne

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

TeamWyattFeb-14-01 02:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#1665, "RE: Umm... hehe...."
In response to Reply # 10

It seems the fuel pump assembly changes from year to year, lik ea lot of things on our cars
I think we have figured out that 97+ 420A'S have the same setup as me (no o-ring) the 95-96 models use the o-ring.
I am willing to bet that Jason's looks exactly like mine. Thats why he didn't notice any problems. Right Jason?

Wyatt Leras

95ESiFeb-14-01 06:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#1666, "RE: Umm... hehe...."
In response to Reply # 11

>It seems the fuel pump assembly
>changes from year to year,
>lik ea lot of things
>on our cars

Oh no...I hope the GSS342 pump that I'm getting is the same one in that VFAQ ...

TeamJasonESi_TFeb-14-01 05:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#1667, "RE: I have the Walbro GSS342 pump..."
In response to Reply # 5

LAST EDITED ON 14-Feb-01 AT 10:39 PM (PST)

Hey guys,

I got real curious myself about this whole thing, so I opened up my fuel tank and took a look at my own walbro. Guess what?

"Look ma..." no O-ring here either.

My setup looks EXACTLY Like Wyatt's!

I can't remember if my stock fuel pump came with one, but I doubt it. I'm guessing that they've made little subtle changes in our 98's possibly including this change. You know the changes, no key-dance and now no O-ring.

I swear there's at least one more 98 change that I just can't put my finger on right now....

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

HootFeb-15-01 12:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
106 posts,
#1668, "RE: I have the Walbro GSS342 pump..."
In response to Reply # 13

is the mounting flange for the pump body the same for both versions of these things? can a 95-97 owner get a 98+ pump bracket and then put his walbro in that and drop it into his old style gas-tank? this would be a little insurance against future leaks because of a poor fit between the pump and bracket.

TeamJasonESi_TFeb-15-01 02:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#1669, "Yes, the mounting flange would be the same..."
In response to Reply # 14

Yes, it has to be the same.
Why? Because I've already bought a second fuel fitting gasket that sits on top of the flange. That's my little problem that I've been having is establishing a good seal there so as not to set off the damn evap sensor error. (I think I''ve got it now though)

Anyways, I need to clarify something else as well. I think the pump that Wyatt used expired the need for him to use the bottom pump bracket. In my case, I still use the bottom bracket being that the GSS342 has the bottom molding to utilize it. I guess the 307 model does not.

The parallel in Wyatt's 98 and mine is that we both use a small fuel hose connection with clamps at the top and bottom. READ: NO O-RING. (thank God for that) That little piece creating sealing problems would drive me nuts, I think. The sealing of the fuel system already drives me nuts. Anyhow, just get a small hose as suggested before and hose clamp the connection. I still use the stock spring clamps that were already there.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

TeamWyattFeb-15-01 04:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#1670, "RE: Yes, the mounting flange would be the same..."
In response to Reply # 15

A esy fix to the o-rin gis to just cut that portion of the fitting off. There is still 1/2" of fitting left on the braket so using a piece of tube is easy. Plus you can always use the stock pump, you just won't have a stupid o-ring.
Jason, I would replace those springy clamps with som beffy screw clamps like mine. I use those for ALL my high pressure lines.

Safer is better
Wyatt Leras

95ESiFeb-15-01 04:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#1671, "RE: Yes, the mounting flange would be the same..."
In response to Reply # 16

Hack my assembly? Hmmm, I'm not sure if there is even enough room left to slip on a tube after hacking away the part where the neck of the pump sits in...

I wonder how the GST people do it...they don't seem to have any difficulty with the GSS342...

TeamWyattFeb-15-01 02:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#1672, "RE: Yes, the mounting flange would be the same..."
In response to Reply # 17

I'm sure it would be fine with the GSS342, but no matter what you are putting a lot of pressure on the fuel pump and its going to want to push away. Witht he hose clamps its make a prefect seal and you can rest your mind at ease.
I told Neil to try it and it worked.
Wyatt Leras

95ESiFeb-16-01 06:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#1673, "RE: Yes, the mounting flange would be the same..."
In response to Reply # 18

Ok, I'm just worried whether or not the GSS342 would have the 'wrong sized' neck or not..

guess we shall see =)

l e o n

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #1654 Previous topic | Next topic