Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #16117
View in linear mode

Subject: "Turbo and gauge questions." Previous topic | Next topic
2GNTCUTIEFeb-21-02 04:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
114 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16117, "Turbo and gauge questions."

Going turbo in may and have a few gauge questions....

If I get an Apexi Safc does this do away with the need for a stand alone a/f gauge?

Also I plan on getting a
-blitz dtt
-some sort of Electronic dual boost control..(any recommendations fairly cheap?)
-EGT gauge
-boost gauge that comes with hahn kit
-and i think a Fuel Press. gauge that comes with the Stage 2 kit also...

Will this work for a bare minimum? If not what else? Remember I want to be safe boosting but also wont have a whole lotta cash after the turbo purchase and these insane gauges!!

95 Eclipse RS

-Ractive CAI
-Aerospeed 2.5" Cat-Back
-AFX UDP
-NGK Plugs
-Magnecore Wires
-Centerforce Stage 3 DF
-Front Strut Bar
-Clear Tails
-Clear Corners
-Custom Short-Shifter
-Pimp Ass reupholstered F&R seats in red and white!!
-17" Enk

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

GregFeb-21-02 05:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
392 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16118, "RE: Turbo and gauge questions."
In response to Reply # 0

>If I get an Apexi Safc does this do away with the need for a
>stand alone a/f gauge?

It can because you can read o2 voltage on the S-AFC via the blue wire mod to the 02 sensor. I personally like to look at the Blinky gauge for that is more of a visual aid

>Also I plan on getting a
>-blitz dtt
>-some sort of Electronic dual boost control..(any
>recommendations fairly cheap?)
>-EGT gauge
>-boost gauge that comes with hahn kit
>-and i think a Fuel Press. gauge that comes with the Stage 2
>kit also...
>
>Will this work for a bare minimum? If not what else?
>Remember I want to be safe boosting but also wont have a
>whole lotta cash after the turbo purchase and these insane
>gauges!!

That seems like a good start. Just keep the boost down untill you either upgrade the injectors or internals

Greg Williamson
1999 Eclipse GS "Sport" (Sold)
Star Stage III
12.817 @ 109.36

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mkerleyFeb-21-02 05:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#16119, "RE: Turbo and gauge questions."
In response to Reply # 1

You can do the blue wire mod, but I think several of us have had problems with that and we're not sure it's completely accurate. Plus, in order to see your O2 sensor voltage, you have to switch screens and it becomes a pain switching back and forth all the time. Get a separate A/F gauge if you have a little cash left.

With what you listed, you'll be plenty safe boosting recommended levels. Just be cautious about going any higher.

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

eclipsekaiserFeb-21-02 07:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#16120, "RE: Turbo and gauge questions."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sure you'll get the same advice from other oldies that has gone turbo route, study the turbosystem carefully. Understand how something work individually and how it fits into the general scheme of things. It is wise to be present when the turbokit it beign installed in your car as you may run into a problem out in the middle of no where, at least you'll have an idea of what is wrong and can correct the problem yourself.

Overall it is expensive to own a turbo kit. I believe there was a post a while back about the actual cost of owning a turbo kit. turns out it is more than the 3 grand you spend on the kit itself. This include little mishaps and repairs that just happen.

I'm not trying to deter you from owning one. Hell I wish mine is on my car already and not sitting in my garage collecting dust. Just be prepare...that is all

kaiser

-K-

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-22-02 10:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#16121, "RE: Turbo and gauge questions."
In response to Reply # 3

Since you'll already be getting the boost guage with the kit, you can get a cheaper turbo timer than the BLITZ DualTT. It's kind of expensive cause it has a built in boost guage (which you won't need).
Just thought I'd point that out.

-Tony 98'GST
eclipzgst@charter.net

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #16117 Previous topic | Next topic