Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #12617
View in linear mode

Subject: "auto trannys and turbos?" Previous topic | Next topic
1995GSDec-23-01 11:09 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2001
190 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12617, "auto trannys and turbos?"

I hear all these stories about manual tranys and there clutches having problems and needing replcement ect. How would an auto tranny fair with a stage 1-2 HRC kit?

-Brian

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: auto trannys and turbos?, TeamAvenger, Dec-23-01 11:27 AM, #1
RE: auto trannys and turbos?, thedawg, Dec-24-01 04:08 AM, #2
      RE: auto trannys and turbos?, aj, Dec-27-01 04:00 PM, #3
           RE: auto trannys and turbos?, RyaN95i4, Dec-27-01 04:07 PM, #4
                RE: auto trannys and turbos?, Ryan_RS, Dec-27-01 09:08 PM, #5
                     RE: auto trannys and turbos?, TeamAvenger, Dec-28-01 01:41 AM, #6
                     RE: auto trannys and turbos?, RyaN95i4, Dec-28-01 03:45 AM, #7
                          RE: auto trannys and turbos?, TeamAvenger, Dec-28-01 04:49 AM, #8
                               RE: auto trannys and turbos?, RyaN95i4, Dec-28-01 11:19 AM, #9
                                    RE: auto trannys and turbos?, TeamAvenger, Dec-28-01 04:26 PM, #10
                                    RE: auto trannys and turbos?, RyaN95i4, Dec-29-01 06:35 AM, #14
                                    RE: auto trannys and turbos?, RoboTechDSM, Dec-28-01 04:32 PM, #11
                                         RE: auto trannys and turbos?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-28-01 05:28 PM, #12
                                              RE: auto trannys and turbos?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-28-01 05:39 PM, #13
                                              RE: auto trannys and turbos?, TeamAvenger, Dec-29-01 08:13 AM, #15
                                                   RE: auto trannys and turbos?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-29-01 01:23 PM, #16
                                                        RE: auto trannys and turbos?, Ryan_RS, Dec-29-01 07:12 PM, #17
                                                             RE: auto trannys and turbos?, TeamAvenger, Dec-30-01 06:44 AM, #18

TeamAvengerDec-23-01 11:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12618, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 0

It holds just fine. There are quite a few people running stage IIs on the AT and they are just fine. Joe (shogun98rs) is running his stock AT with like 18 or so psi. No problems what so ever.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

thedawgDec-24-01 04:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#12619, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yah, I'm AT and it works good. Actually, much less trouble spinning the tires than a manual. Altho, Satan currently has my car in their shop trying to fix tranny problems that existed before the turbo. (Hard shifts at low loads, gridlock traffic). The problems got worse slowly after the turbo, but I think it's just a coincidence.
Dan
99'RS

ajDec-27-01 04:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
280 posts,
#12620, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 2

I got auto too.No mechanical problems.Still wish I had stick though.

RyaN95i4Dec-27-01 04:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#12621, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 3

im also auto. my goal is 14s w/ stock internals and the auto, but i wish i had a stick, seeing as how my car would be a feakin second faster than it is :/

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

Ryan_HesDec-27-01 09:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#12622, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 4

I am automatic, and will be buying an HRC Stage1 in a few months. I have quite a few questions, so bear with me.

1) With auto, what would the best way to launch be and would it be more controlled than manual since Im not throwing so much power to the wheels? (Please dont mention torque or stall speed converter that isnt gonna happen)

2) On a manual, boost is built up. Then the driver releases accelerator and shifts, then pushes accelerator again. The throttle plate closes. On an auto, since the accelerator is never lifted, would my throttle plate close? If not this would mean I'd be able to hold boost right? Would a BOV function in this scenario since no air would be sent back?

3) Is there anything else I'd need that a manual would not? Transmission cooler?

4) With auto stage1, what kind of times should I expect on an HRC Super16G?

5) Your opinion, is this worth it? I can't sell my car and I looove the feeling of boost and speed. Its the ultimate rush.

Please don't flame me if you think the questions are dumb.

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

TeamAvengerDec-28-01 01:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#12623, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 5

>1) With auto, what would the best way to launch be and
>would it be more controlled than manual since Im not
>throwing so much power to the wheels? (Please dont mention

Same way you should be launching now. Power braking (or whatever you call it). Hold the brake down and push on down on the gas till about 2200 ... green light all gas no brake. Being auto this also allows you to build boost on the line ... can't do it in a MT.

>2) On a manual, boost is built up. Then the driver
>releases accelerator and shifts, then pushes accelerator
>again. The throttle plate closes. On an auto, since the
>accelerator is never lifted, would my throttle plate close?
>If not this would mean I'd be able to hold boost right?
>Would a BOV function in this scenario since no air would be
>sent back?

You're right. The throttle plate will not close between shifts unless you let go of the accelerator. Therefore the BOV will not sound off. This is also good because you can maintain boost between gears and not have all the pressure vent out during shifts.

>3) Is there anything else I'd need that a manual would not?
>Transmission cooler?

A tranny oil cooler might be a nice addition but it depends on how you plan on driving it. If you're gonna be making run after run without letting the car cool a bit in between then yes if you're pretty tame with it then probably no. It's a good safety precaution either way.

>4) With auto stage1, what kind of times should I expect on
>an HRC Super16G?

Don't know. I'd guess high 15's.

>5) Your opinion, is this worth it? I can't sell my car and
>I looove the feeling of boost and speed. Its the ultimate
>rush.

I'm assuming you've driven a car with boost. It'll be a night and day difference with what you have now. It'll be worth it and it opens many paths for improved performance that you didn't have before. Just tuning your stage 1 can yeild better times but tuning your NA really doesn't get you as much. It's definitely worth every penny.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

RyaN95i4Dec-28-01 03:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#12624, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 5

> I am automatic, and will be buying an HRC Stage1 in a
>few months. I have quite a few questions, so bear with me.
>
>1) With auto, what would the best way to launch be and
>would it be more controlled than manual since Im not
>throwing so much power to the wheels? (Please dont mention
>torque or stall speed converter that isnt gonna happen)

Like avenger said, just power brake as high as you can hold it. this is where higher stall speed convertor helps, cause you can bring the rev's up even higher. with the stock tranny you can bring the revs up to 2000-2500.

>2) On a manual, boost is built up. Then the driver
>releases accelerator and shifts, then pushes accelerator
>again. The throttle plate closes. On an auto, since the
>accelerator is never lifted, would my throttle plate close?
>If not this would mean I'd be able to hold boost right?
>Would a BOV function in this scenario since no air would be
>sent back?
>

the bov wont go off during a run, cause your always in boost. that means not having to build boost again in the next gear, once you hit full boost in 1st, youll have full boost till u let off. the bov only goes off when you let off

>3) Is there anything else I'd need that a manual would not?
>Transmission cooler?
>

DEFINITELY get a tranny cooler with the a604. heat is the #1 killer of the a604. seems like 2-3+ trannies go a month just on the ASOG board. Im on my third (had it rebuilt right the last time tho)

>4) With auto stage1, what kind of times should I expect on
>an HRC Super16G?
>

high 15's-low 16's, depending on how well you can get off the line. but from a roll, youll run with cars that run quicker times.

>5) Your opinion, is this worth it? I can't sell my car and
>I looove the feeling of boost and speed. Its the ultimate
>rush.
>

definietely worth it, but youll be upgrading soon

>Please don't flame me if you think the questions are dumb.

pppppsssssssshhhhhhhh PPPPSSSSSS

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

TeamAvengerDec-28-01 04:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#12625, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 7

Hey Ryan95i4,

What'd you do to your tranny the last time you had it rebuilt? You know what makes it "right". Mine's on it's last leg but I'm pretty sure once the turbo goes on it'll just blow itself up. I'm curious what you did in case I need to rebuild mine (in case I don't attempt the AT/MT swap) after it breaks. Let us know. Thanks.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

RyaN95i4Dec-28-01 11:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#12626, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 8

Raybestos Race Clutch Packs, Blue Plate Special Steel Plates and Gaskets, Fairbanks Shiftkit, Aluminum Accumulator Pins, Aftermarket Torque Convertor(Stock Stall Speed), High Performance Shift Solenoid, Tranny Cooler

the only thing i regret is still having the stock stall speed

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

TeamAvengerDec-28-01 04:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#12627, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 9

So how much did that cost you? but more importantly how much of a difference did you notice? Send me some email about it avenger@quietrage.com ... Thanks.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

RyaN95i4Dec-29-01 06:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#12628, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 10

cost...too much. differnece, not much, until i went turbo, now it slams second hard. it be nice if we had a way to up the fluid pressure tho, that would help w/ downshifts.

The shop i went to said they had lots of experience with the a604, they got everything for me. One of the asog guys had a similar rebuild done in cali, so the parts gotta be available somwhere.

if i had to do it over again, i would do the 5 spd swap, or maybe consider level 10.

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

RoboTechDSMDec-28-01 04:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1402 posts,
#12629, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 9

Hey Ryan95i4, where did you get parts for your tranny. Shift solenoid, shift kit, etc.......Just wondering, thanks!!!!!

Kris
"Someday............I'll have traction problems!!!!"
Tampa, FL
Pinoy Turbo 2GNT

1999 HRC Turbo RS
Stage 2
Auto with BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-28-01 05:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12630, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 11

Oo Oo! Me too! I wanna know about those goodies!

-Tony 98'GST

http://eclipzgst.dyndns.org
AIM: YNOT420247

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-28-01 05:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#12631, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 12

Different tranny, bro They may have your parts, tho.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

TeamAvengerDec-29-01 08:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#12632, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 12

Tony,

Check out ... http://www.ecanfix.com/users/atdsm/ ... it's the AT dsm homepage. They have quite a few things about the at trannies in the 4g's which should help you but they have very little in terms of stuff for the 420a AT tranny. I think you can find the shift kit on there somewhere and there is also a VFAQ on it's install on www.VFAQ.com

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-29-01 01:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12633, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 15

Thank you kindly!

-Tony 98'GST

http://eclipzgst.dyndns.org
AIM: turboclipz or YNOT420247

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Ryan_HesDec-29-01 07:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#12634, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 16

I'm afraid this turbo I'm getting is going to destroy my engine.

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

TeamAvengerDec-30-01 06:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#12635, "RE: auto trannys and turbos?"
In response to Reply # 17

Don't worry about it too much. The tranny will hold a stage 1 & 2 and further. Just don't get reckless with it (multiple runs without letting it cool down a bit ... heat is AT's #1 enemy). As for your engine again don't get reckless with it. Don't go turning up the boost without proper management w/ fuel, timing, etc.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #12617 Previous topic | Next topic