Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #11712
View in linear mode

Subject: "preparing ofr turbo upgrade:" Previous topic | Next topic
1995GSDec-05-01 10:07 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2001
190 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11712, "preparing ofr turbo upgrade:"

What would you upgrade if you wanted a stronger engine?

I can think of:

Forged pistons
better headers
better downpipe
better plugs and spark wires

anything else?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:, daved, Dec-05-01 10:09 AM, #1
RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:, 1995GS, Dec-05-01 10:11 AM, #2
      RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:, daved, Dec-05-01 11:04 AM, #3
      RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:, 1995GS, Dec-05-01 11:17 AM, #4
           RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:, bustrblue1, Dec-05-01 03:02 PM, #5
      RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:, toykilla, Dec-06-01 02:08 AM, #7
RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:, toykilla, Dec-06-01 02:05 AM, #6
RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:, Strauss, Dec-06-01 02:32 AM, #8
      RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:, TeamMuRiX, Dec-06-01 02:41 AM, #9

davedDec-05-01 10:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
665 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11713, "RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:"
In response to Reply # 0

Well of course the pistons. Some head work would be good too for example shit like valves, valve springs, lifters, cams, you know all the stuff that is inside the head could use some beefing up. Let Fast420A help you out in that area.

1999 Eclipse RS (all show)
1990 Turbo Eclipse (race)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1995GSDec-05-01 10:11 AM
190 posts,
#11714, "RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:"
In response to Reply # 1

im thinking about getting the HRC stage 2 and was wondering what you would upgrade if you were gonna get it? I know it says it can run stock internals but i want to be on the safer and more reliable side of things.

-Brian

davedDec-05-01 11:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
665 posts,
#11715, "RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:"
In response to Reply # 2

Lower your compression with some pistons and make sure that bottom end is built up and strong.

1999 Eclipse RS (all show)
1990 Turbo Eclipse (race)

1995GSDec-05-01 11:17 AM
190 posts,
#11716, "RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:"
In response to Reply # 3

how do i lower the compression? Any opinions on stores or brands to get this stuff at?

-Brian

bustrblue1Dec-05-01 03:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
340 posts,
#11717, "RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:"
In response to Reply # 4

how much would it cost to do the top end of the motor? and give the best two brands with prices please. thanks.

toykillaDec-06-01 02:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
881 posts,
#11718, "RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:"
In response to Reply # 2

>im thinking about getting the HRC stage 2 and was wondering
>what you would upgrade if you were gonna get it? I know it
>says it can run stock internals but i want to be on the
>safer and more reliable side of things.
>
>
>-Brian

if your doing a rebuild why dont you just get the HRC stage III
comes with full bottom end i believe...so when you want to up the boost past 15 all you need is injecters and something to control the bigger injecters.

Robert Parkhurst
toykilla@comcast.net

toykillaDec-06-01 02:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
881 posts,
#11719, "RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:"
In response to Reply # 0

>What would you upgrade if you wanted a stronger engine?
>
>I can think of:
>
>Forged pistons
might want to add piston rings, wrist pins, connecting rods and a head gasket.

>better headers
>better downpipe
i thought you were going turbo? header is NA downpipe is turbo
and turbokit should come with a downpipe.

>better plugs and spark wires
also a good starting point but if doing a rebuild id suggest
some injecters as well. If you have the engine to handle the boost get the fuel and BOOST!! =)

Robert Parkhurst
toykilla@comcast.net

StraussDec-06-01 02:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
953 posts,
#11720, "RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:"
In response to Reply # 6

You might want to think about getting some forged rods as well. Basically, all you will need on top of your HRC stage 2 is a set of forged rods and pistons(get lower compression pistons) and total seal piston rings. Thats pretty much it for building your internals. Thats all that the HRC eclipse has and there are many others on here with that set-up. You should be fine into the 11's with the built bottom end. But if your gonna fork out the cash to do the engine rebuild ($1100 at www.howellautomotive.com) then you might as well dish out another $600(fuel support) and start boosting heavy. All the rebuild will do is strengthen your motor, you will need bigger injectors and an AFC or some other type of fuel controller to safely run any higher than 10psi. That is going the safest route, and is what I'm in the process of doing right now. Oh yeah, being able to boost 15psi will for surely be a lot more fun than 10psi!!!!!

TeamMuRiXDec-06-01 02:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#11721, "RE: preparing ofr turbo upgrade:"
In response to Reply # 8

Just get the howell automotive rebuild kit and be done. Strauss is right on two accounts. All you need are pistons/rings/rods, but I would pass on the total seal rings. They are actually detrimental to the lifespan of your engine. Also, if you do the internals, do something with the fuel as well. Easiest thing to do is 440/S-AFC route. Throw in a MSD DIS-2 for help with your timing and spark, then tune for 15psi pump gas daily driven.

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #11712 Previous topic | Next topic