Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #11234
View in linear mode

Subject: "can my stock engine handle a small turbo?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
1995GSNov-27-01 11:00 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2001
190 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11234, "can my stock engine handle a small turbo?"

I am going to buy a 1995 Gs this summer and was wondering if it can handle a small turbo, like a HRC stage 1. I noticed that it didnt come with an intercooler though. Should i get one for it? What do i need to upgrade to keep my engine reliable?

THX!

-Brian

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?, DaveGT, Nov-27-01 11:16 AM, #1
RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?, HadesOmega, Nov-27-01 12:46 PM, #2
RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?, 1995GS, Nov-27-01 01:31 PM, #3
RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?, HadesOmega, Nov-28-01 09:40 PM, #4
      RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?, TeamStan2gnt, Nov-29-01 04:34 AM, #5
           RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?, soldier101, May-05-05 06:49 PM, #6
                RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?, tim97rs, May-05-05 07:39 PM, #7
                     RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?, RxR_Eclipse, May-06-05 04:09 AM, #8
                          RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?, GSGoinFast, May-06-05 04:13 AM, #9

DaveGTNov-27-01 11:16 AM
Member since Nov 26th 2001
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11235, "RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes it can, The HRC kits work well on the 420a engines, and they are pretty receptive to boost. By getting an intercooler you will safely be able to run higher boost levels on stock engine. But the intercooler s not a must, the kits still works well, but boosts only to 5 psi. Before you add a turbo to it though, you should make sure that the engine is in good condition. Getting a tune up and checking the engine compression should be done. Hope this helps.

Dave

HadesOmegaNov-27-01 12:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#11236, "RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?"
In response to Reply # 1

haha if can use this T3/T4 giant snail you can use a SMALL turbo on your 420A hehe..

It's more a question of how much boost is safe to run.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

1995GSNov-27-01 01:31 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2001
190 posts,
#11237, "RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?"
In response to Reply # 0

I basicly want about 190-210 horsepower in the end.

The only other thing i want is that the turbo not wear the engine out too quickly. So i wont run a huge amount of boost. Anyone know how high i should go? Most people ive asked have said 8 or below for a bone stock engine to keep it really reliable.

-Brian

HadesOmegaNov-28-01 09:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#11238, "RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?"
In response to Reply # 3

Running 5 here, no problems yet. Yup stage 1 will put you around that area. Man I really gotta dyno my car, I have not idea what it put out. I hope it's more than 200!

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

TeamStan2gntNov-29-01 04:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#11239, "RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?"
In response to Reply # 4

I thought your were going to say a T25 or something. The super16G isn' small. Small turbos aren't good for high compression/stock engines. A big. cool turbo thats easy on the engine at lower rpms IS safer if run at the appropriate boost levels.

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

soldier101May-05-05 06:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3862 posts,
#85645, "RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?"
In response to Reply # 5

The Engine will take it fine, intercooler about 8 lbs for life extension, non-intercooled 4-5......be careful though, dont get hit with the up the boost to get more power without having supporting mods bug....many do that and its a nasty disease that wins

turbo8u: "jiggle jiggle then vroom vroom pshhhh"
-Mike Pruett
2gnt member# 976
MOPAR Stage 2
SRTForums.com member #37 (Yeah, I signed up when it first came out, and ended up getting one, cool huh?)
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

tim97rsMay-05-05 07:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#85651, "RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?"
In response to Reply # 6

i am going to beat you down! its on like donkey kong, BEEOTCH!!!!!

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

RxR_EclipseMay-06-05 04:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#85658, "RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?"
In response to Reply # 7

I love seeing these resurected posts.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

GSGoinFastMay-06-05 04:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#85659, "RE: can my stock engine handle a small turbo?"
In response to Reply # 8

haha what made you bring this back?

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #11234 Previous topic | Next topic