Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109697
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rebuild 16g or upgrade?" Previous topic | Next topic
bagged420aJul-20-13 05:05 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2009
107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109697, "Rebuild 16g or upgrade?"

So the S16G needs a rebuild. But the itch for more power is there. I have been thinking about S20G, HY35, and looked at a couple garrett journal bearing turbos. The car is a DD, and the S20G is simple switch in. I guess I'm just worried about the "slower" spool time. Any thoughts on any of those turbos or something similar?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SilvrEclipsJul-22-13 06:35 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109698, "RE: Rebuild 16g or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it really depends on what u want to do with the car, do u autox or road race the car? If its just a toy you drive around time then its really your call. I lost about 500rpms of spool going to a 20g. And then even more with the holset. I autox and track my car and the holset is not ideal for either, but the power is great to have. I would probably rebuild the 16g and push the hell out of it to make some good power and keep a good spool. It would be a nasty street car.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

aproductionsDec-17-13 10:07 PM
Member since Jul 15th 2013
4 posts,
#109721, "RE: Rebuild 16g or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

it will be more beneficial to keep the smaller turbo as your boost level is not high. A smaller turbo will be more efficient and faster spooling so keep the smaller one.

Alex Romanishan

Fallen4ng31Dec-18-13 09:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#109722, "RE: Rebuild 16g or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by aproductions
it will be more beneficial to keep the smaller turbo as your boost level is not high. A smaller turbo will be more efficient and faster spooling so keep the smaller one.

Please do not bump old threads.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

ezJan-13-14 11:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#109725, "RE: Rebuild 16g or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Fallen4ng31
Please do not bump old threads.

Yes, any type of posting on 2gnt is now highly discouraged. Forum is now limited to 10 posts a year. Welcome to the site.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

iNoiseJan-15-14 09:31 PM
Member since Dec 17th 2009
47 posts,
#109726, "RE: Rebuild 16g or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by ez
Originally posted by Fallen4ng31 Please do not bump old threads.
Yes, any type of posting on 2gnt is now highly discouraged. Forum is now limited to 10 posts a year. Welcome to the site.

It's a sad thing indeed. I don't post a lot but I've leaned all i know about my car from here.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109697 Previous topic | Next topic