Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108733
View in linear mode

Subject: "Loss of Boost" Previous topic | Next topic
hernandoMay-27-11 04:26 PM
Member since Jan 18th 2011
29 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108733, "Loss of Boost"

Yesterday I went to the track and blew my elbow from my turbo to the intercooler and replaced it with a radiator hose(couldn't find a rubber elbow with 2" diameter). I also had to replace my airfilter because something caused the rubber gasket to go limp n the filter wouldn't stay on.

Today my vacuum line from the manifold and waste gate came off and my EGR valve melted. It looks like someone took a torch to it.

I now have no boost and was wondering would the turbo having its leaks fixed cause all these items to start breaking down? I replaced the plugs and coils plus fixed all the boost leaks and turned down the boost from 10psi to 8psi.

I love the turbo, turbonetics T3/4 hybrid with a star stage 2 kit but dont like how things are magically going. I live in socal and perhaps someone who can tune a 420a can help.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Loss of Boost, AdministratorCODE4, May-27-11 04:43 PM, #1
RE: Loss of Boost, hernando, May-27-11 04:49 PM, #2
      RE: Loss of Boost, AdministratorCODE4, May-27-11 04:52 PM, #3
           RE: Loss of Boost, hernando, May-27-11 04:57 PM, #4
                RE: Loss of Boost, AdministratorCODE4, May-27-11 05:00 PM, #5
                     RE: Loss of Boost, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, May-27-11 09:25 PM, #6

AdministratorCODE4May-27-11 04:43 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108734, "RE: Loss of Boost"
In response to Reply # 0

Did you perform a boost leak test?

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

hernandoMay-27-11 04:49 PM
29 posts,
#108735, "RE: Loss of Boost"
In response to Reply # 1

I did it this afternoon, i got a leak now where the egr valve use to be, shoots out like a hot jet so it explains why the egr looks like it went under a torch.

i was just wondering if this is normal for a turbo to do to the components under the hood. I would hate to remove it if its causing all these items to break...last thing i want is the head to be blown because we all know how 420's go.

I'm in the process of ordering a new egr valve.

AdministratorCODE4May-27-11 04:52 PM
2552 posts,
#108736, "RE: Loss of Boost"
In response to Reply # 2
May-27-11 04:53 PM by CODE4

Originally posted by hernando
I would hate to remove it if its causing all these items to break...last thing i want is the head to be blown because we all know how 420's go.

Actually we do not. Not really sure what you are implying about 420a's - properly built and tuned setups do not blow.

Based on your thread title I am not sure what you are asking. You title it Loss of Boost, but you already performed a BLT - so now what?

---

2012 2500HD LML

hernandoMay-27-11 04:57 PM
29 posts,
#108737, "RE: Loss of Boost"
In response to Reply # 3

Still loosing boost due to the egr not being there since it got torched. Was wondering if thats normal for a turbo to do? to start making items cook and fall apart under the hood?

AdministratorCODE4May-27-11 05:00 PM
2552 posts,
#108738, "RE: Loss of Boost"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by hernando
Still loosing boost due to the egr not being there since it got torched. Was wondering if thats normal for a turbo to do? to start making items cook and fall apart under the hood?

If you have no EGR valve mounted to the cylinder head, then of course you will have hot exhaust gases escape from that location. That will happen even without the turbo.

If items are not protected against heat then they will fail.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-27-11 09:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108739, "RE: Loss of Boost"
In response to Reply # 5

exhaust pressure will push the EGR transducer off the valve. You need to put a clamp on it. it's happened to me.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108733 Previous topic | Next topic