Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108590
View in linear mode

Subject: "lack of power" Previous topic | Next topic
jdhals21Mar-20-11 12:02 PM
Member since Jan 31st 2010
10 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108590, "lack of power"

I have recently installed a turbo and am having some issues with it not boosting past 4lbs. I am running a basic set-up with 12:1 fmu, 255 Walbro on stock injectors. It was running rough for the first day or two so I checked the gap on the plugs and set them to .034. Once I did that it boosted to 7lbs and was running awesome, no hesitations or anything. The exhaust manifold gasket started to leak(I should have known since it had a little kink in it from the start). I replaced that as well as the gasket for the manifold to turbo gasket. It is no longer leaking yet I am still only getting to about 4lbs of boost and it stutters. I have checked for leaks throughout the intercooler piping and everything is tight. The top vent tube for the wastegate was hitting the hood and after reading about this in the forums I found it is not necessary to have it on there. Any idea's would help.
thanks
Justin

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: lack of power, bigray1111, Mar-20-11 03:50 PM, #1
RE: lack of power, eclipserstturbo, Mar-20-11 04:24 PM, #2
      RE: lack of power, jdhals21, Mar-21-11 07:18 AM, #3
           RE: lack of power, eclipserstturbo, Mar-21-11 11:22 PM, #4
                RE: lack of power, jdhals21, Mar-22-11 10:01 AM, #5
                     RE: lack of power, eclipserstturbo, Mar-23-11 09:33 PM, #6
                          RE: lack of power, jdhals21, Mar-24-11 07:26 PM, #7

bigray1111Mar-20-11 03:50 PM
Member since Mar 12th 2011
39 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108592, "RE: lack of power"
In response to Reply # 0

had the same problem. Just fixed it today, idk if its the same issue, but my FMU was installed incorrectly.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipserstturboMar-20-11 04:24 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#108593, "RE: lack of power"
In response to Reply # 1

Make sure the wastegate is sealed to the manifold properly if you are running an external wastegate. The bolts on mine backed out once and wouldn't get me past 3lbs. Also, what are you using to trick the ecu? If you're using a missing link, check the little filter that sits in the side. If your ecu starts seeing positive map, it'll F with the timing and you won't be building much boost, if any.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

jdhals21Mar-21-11 07:18 AM
10 posts,
#108594, "RE: lack of power"
In response to Reply # 2

The wastegate is exactly what it was. It is leaking from the bottom side. I don't need to trick the computer due to the fact that it is a 95. Thank you for the quick response, now I will just have to wait for the gasket to come in

eclipserstturboMar-21-11 11:22 PM
281 posts,
#108597, "RE: lack of power"
In response to Reply # 3

Sweet! Score for m Glad I can help & good luck.

BTW, what I did when mine backed out, went to lowes and picked up two allen head bolts (easier to tighten) and two lock washers to fit, cranked down on them and haven't had problems since.

jdhals21Mar-22-11 10:01 AM
10 posts,
#108598, "RE: lack of power"
In response to Reply # 4

tightened everything up and now the wastegate is getting stuck open at about 4-5 psi. I am thinking that I have a leak in the exhaust as well. Going to do a boost leak check once again hopefully this week/weekend. I can hear the wastegate shuttering and it pretty much falls on its ass as soon as it hits 4-5 psi of boost

eclipserstturboMar-23-11 09:33 PM
281 posts,
#108609, "RE: lack of power"
In response to Reply # 5

What size/ color spring is in the wastegate?

jdhals21Mar-24-11 07:26 PM
10 posts,
#108620, "RE: lack of power"
In response to Reply # 6

It is an 8lb spring. I had hit 7lbs a couple times and then a melted a vacuum line which has since been replaced. I was having the same troubles and gapped the plugs to .032 and then that is when I got 7. I just rechecked them today to make sure to no prevail. I am going to have to do a boost leak check this weekend because the exhaust is sealed up tight(already checked). Whenever I get into the throttle it seems like the wastegate is fluttering so to speak at about 4-5lbs. Once again I can't see under the hood when I am driving so a boost leak check would give me much more detail. Thanks for the response.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108590 Previous topic | Next topic